A simple request - factories on asteroids

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello, my fellow StarMadians,
    Let me tell you a story of a StarMade player, right when the big recent crafting update came out. That player was so excited to finally have proper StarMade survival, he jumped right on his computer and got right to work. His computer wasn't very good and couldn't handle stations or planets, so he settled for an asteroid base to at least get started out. He was distraught to realise that factories couldn't be placed on asteroids, and to go near planets or stations was to overheat his little laptop so, with a heavy heart, he returned to a life of cheats and creative mode. That player was me when the crafting revamp came out. I have checked every update since and it has never been fixed. Do you know how hard it is to grind one million credits from raw resources, keeping in mind that shops only take a limited amount? That is why I humbly suggest that it be made available for players to both claim asteroids and place factories on said asteroids.
    Peace out,
    Clovie

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Let me tell you a story of a StarMade player, right when the big recent crafting update came out. That player was so excited to finally have proper StarMade survival, he jumped right on his computer and got right to work. His computer wasn't very good and couldn't handle stations or planets, so he settled for an asteroid base to at least get started out. He was distraught to realise that factories couldn't be placed on asteroids, and to go near planets or stations was to overheat his little laptop so, with a heavy heart, he returned to a life of cheats and creative mode. That player was me when the crafting revamp came out. I have checked every update since and it has never been fixed. Do you know how hard it is to grind one million credits from raw resources, keeping in mind that shops only take a limited amount? That is why I humbly suggest that it be made available for players to both claim asteroids and place factories on said asteroids.
    Peace out,
    Clovie
    Sir,I will do everything in my power to make that a reality

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Peace out,
    Clovie

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    What?! I made a mobile shipyard and factory in 0.19431 and the respawn worked on it too.
    This is on an asteroid entity.
    Haven't tried again since that one though I'll try again in 0.19485.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    What?! I made a mobile shipyard and factory in 0.19431 and the respawn worked on it too.
    This is on an asteroid entity.
    Haven't tried again since that one though I'll try again in 0.19485.
    I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen xD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have placed factories on asteroids. 5 days ago. It works. Just add power and capacitors.

I couldn't dock to the rail I placed tho, that was unexpected and weird. :(

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I have placed factories on asteroids. 5 days ago. It works. Just add power and capacitors.

gotta further test this,make sure it was not someone who played on the server with non-vanilla configs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen

You can dock to asteroids via shipyard anchor.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1446875800,1446875708][/DOUBLEPOST]
    gotta further test this,make sure it was not someone who played on the server with non-vanilla configs.
    I'm always in vanilla unless a bug requires that i not be for testing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    As far as I know the config is vanilla.
    I was trying to make a hidden base inside a dolomroid to park my ship and get some crafting done. I hollowed out the inside a bit, placed my factories, readjusted them a few times, placed power and capacitors, used the factory to crank out a rail docker to park my ship and hook up a camouflaged door.

Everything worked except the rail docker. Project abandoned. I'll ask about the config, but I doubt the admin has ever messed with it.

You can dock to asteroids via shipyard anchor.
    Useful to know, but still doesn't help with the door. Oh well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    As far as I know the config is vanilla.
    I was trying to make a hidden base inside a dolomroid to park my ship and get some crafting done. I hollowed out the inside a bit, placed my factories, readjusted them a few times, placed power and capacitors, used the factory to crank out a rail docker to park my ship and hook up a camouflaged door.

Everything worked except the rail docker. Project abandoned. I'll ask about the config, but I doubt the admin has ever messed with it.

Useful to know, but still doesn't help with the door. Oh well.
    You use the initial docked ship on the shipyard anchor as the docking entity for everything else on the asteroid. When you need to modify it while docked, just place temporary shipyard frames outside till done remodeling, then remove them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    You use the initial docked ship on the shipyard anchor as the docking entity for everything else on the asteroid. When you need to modify it while docked, just place temporary shipyard frames outside till done remodeling, then remove them.
    No, I don't think that would work.
    The initial docked ship is an actual ship. It's supposed to be able to fly away without taking the doors with it. I would need a second anchor, which I'm not sure you can do. Even if you can, for the doors to fit properly, it would be in constant collision check. Even the speed 0 trick wouldn't work, since the speed computer itself would be causing the collisions.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So uh... you guys do know that factories on asteroids has been in for a few months now, right?

Reaction score
    yeah like pretty sure you can place factories on asteroids. I just did it last week.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The only thing you can't place on an asteroid is a ship core. While you can place rails on an asteroid, you can't dock on them just yet. My first base on a server was an asteroid base, complete with a shipyard.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Salvage abandoned station down to a couple blocks. I forgot the exact sequence of blocks you put on to get this working might be faction first then build or build then faction. You can put a faction block down claim the station which will cost you the upgrade cost of the remaining blocks from those degraded blocks to what the current blocks are. Its cheap because you salvaged most of the blocks away. Add a build block and there is your cheap but time consuming station. The station icon can end up being pretty far from where your station blocks actually are and you don't get to place it exactly where you want it. Look out for wildlife while doing this....

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Peace out,
    Clovie
    ok,I was not aware of this. But you can ALREADY place build blocks on asteroids,and factories too. so you can start building your asteroid base.
    Didnt you test this before asking?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, I'm sorry. I just haven't seen anything in the update logs, and so haven't tried. I'll test it out right now.