A Ship classification system that makes sense.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've seen countless debates on this forum about what constitutes a cruiser vs a destroyer, and seen countless arguements. From turret to mass ratios, to leading length, to mass, all of them seem flawed. I'm just presenting my naming system here because someone asked me to, and I think it makes a tad more sense than the rest of them.

My naming scale is based off of the volume of a ship, as calculated by multiplying it's length times it's width times it's height. You take the volume, and compare it to the name of the ship it falls under. You then add a prefix that suits it's purpose. Since I lack excel (microsoft office is expensive.) I'm just going to list it all here.

1500 cubed - Fighter, Shuttle, Runabout, Bomber, Interceptor ect.

(ex: 10x10x15, 6-7x10x20, ect)

Since prefixes on ships this small make little sense, the name is both the size classification and the descriptor. These ships rarely, if ever, dock turrets, as they are usually mobile enough to turn and fire.

1501 - 35000 cubed - Corvette, Yacht, Transport, ect.

Ex: 40x40x20, 30x30x35, ect.

Possible prefixes: Heavy, Medium, Light, Support, Reconnaissance, Stealth ect.

These ships, usually only slightly larger than the "Fighter" class below it, are meant for heavier combat or heavier loads. Usually too large to turn as fast as a fighter, they may employ a few turrets to protect them.

35000-75000 cubed - Frigate, Freighter, ect.

Ex: 80x30x30, 50x50x30, ect

possible prefixes: Assault, Support, Fast response, ect

These ships are significantly larger than their smaller cousins, beginning to start the mid sized range of ships. Usually used as smaller attack vessels in fleet operations, these ships are usually optimised for acceleration to keep them safe, as their sheilds are not yet large enough to stand up to tougher assaults. Turrets are nearly a neccesity at this size, with such a large area to defend. Alternatively, civilian ships at this size turn into luxury accomodations for diplomats, or freighters designed for heavy loads. Ships at this size may dock drones or shuttlecraft, in small numbers. (1-2)

75000-375000 cubed - Cruiser, Supertanker, ect.

Ex: 120 x 50 x 60, 75x75x75, ect.

Possible Prefixes: Battle, Support, Fleet, Long Range, ect.

Falling into very nearly the upper levels of civilian vessels, the cruiser is a huge vessel, designed to carry enormous amounts of materials or take enormous punishment in combat. Turrets are a neccesity in this point, as any amount of acceleration in a vessel this size is sure to be matched by smaller combatants, and even civilian vessels must be wary of pirates. Cruisers may dock several fighters, and still have enough interior space for weapon and turret systems.

375000-750000 cubed - Destroyer, Spaceliner, ect.

Ex: 150x100x50, 75x100x100

Possible Prefixes: Heavy, medium, light, Ship-of-the line, Carrier ect

These massive vessels begin the ranks of the Heavy capital ships, and mark the beginnings of gigantism . Designed to make the enemy weep before destruction, they will often feature a multitude of turrets to cover all bases, and massive reactors to power the formidible weapons and shields. Designed to take a beating, these ships don't go down easily. On the Civilian front, ships of this size are strictly mass transports, either luxury or ferries, designed to move people or goods.

75000-3500000 cubed - Battleships, Heavy carriers, ect.

Possible prefixes: Heavy, Fleet, Suport, ect.

Ships of this size are nearly never created by Civilians, nearly always resting in military hands. Designed at this size for a multitude of purposes, nearly all of them are for war. From carrying multitudes of fighters to beseiging bases, these monsters haunt the skies of any enemy fleet.

3500000- 7500000 cubed - Dreadnaught, Supercarrier, ect.

Possible Prefixes: Whatever the hell you want to call them, these ships are often highly specialized.

Ships at this size, when built for war, usually cause the enemy to surrender before the fight has even started. True behemoths, they are all the firepower a fleet will likely ever need in a fight.

7500000 - 15000000 cubed - Mothership, mobile base

And then again, you might need these monsters. Designed to be the center of a fleet, or the main punishing force at it's disposal, these ships can wipe entire planets off the map, easily.

15000000+ - Titans, Juggernauts

Built just to push the limits on what large is. Truly enormous, and the purposes vary.

NOTE: I know that a wire frame of sticks pushing out to the boundaries shouldn't count, and that's perfectly reasonable. When counting bulk, I usually stick to the dimensions of the majority of the ship. If you have a spindly comunications tower, or single block spikes extending from the front of your ship, those shouldn't count. All in all though, i'd say this is a pretty comprehensive naming system. What do you all think?

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Cruisers are generally larger than destroyers, in both wet navies of today, and in many sci-fi shows, movies and novels.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That\'s fine, I suppose. However, I\'m not going to shange how I name my ships. Notice I gave several names, and kept it to size classes. You could easily switch Destroyers and Cruisers if you wanted. I tried to keep this open to interpretation.

Reaction score
    A lot of people miss that, but you didn\'t.

Also, as far as the whole cruisers/destroyers thing: It doesn\'t matter. Displacement categories in wet-navy ships have changed in a whole lot of ways over the past few hundred years. No telling how it\'ll change what any particular designer will do with the nomenclature.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only problem with the sizes you\'re going to is that in MP servers this causes major lag. Sure in singleplayer sandbox you can play with yourself all day but getting near a planet is torture.