Votes: 1 14.3%
    • i don't get it

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • i wouldn't care, i wouldnt use them anyway

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    so, please keep thrusters, as there cool, but 1 single way to move things is a bit boring, so i was thinking, suddenly my mind though about the age of sail and then something genius came into my head, you know these space dust particles yo ucan see blurring past your screen when moving at high speed? well, you would think they move as there in space and must be in orbit around something, or just floating in nothingness, so, maybe, if you could, catch those space dust things, and use them as a method of movement, like sails and wind, just space dust instead of wind and space sails instead of sails. this would both make the ships appearance a lot more interesting at times (a space ship of the line for example) now, these would only be helpful if you follow the space dust as you would go backwards if otherwise, really just like sails and wind, again. the way you position the sails (so the shape your sail groups are) shouldn't matter, but the way your facing (your ship is facing rather) should, and the size would also matter, who likes this idea, i think its pretty cool actually. and also, this could be used with rails to angle and spin your sails or masts or whatever for maximum speed in as diverse amount of directions as possible. maybe also making it that you can raise lower these sails so even if your going against the space dust you may still be capable of moving forward. these would also be cheaper to buy and craft then regular thrusters.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1446853064,1446852501][/DOUBLEPOST]oh and the reason i say sail shape shouldnt matter is so like, if only certain shapes worked (so say they have to be square) we wouldn't be able to make jig or staysail or lanteen or anything that isn't a square sail, thought id say

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Need to add a way for docked entities to apply thrust to the mother ship which I think was being planned already.
    • The sail raise and lowering would use the door block function when off that sail block does not apply thrust.
    • Sail thrust amount dependent upon the sail group dimensions exposed surface area
    • Sails weigh less than thrusters, use less power, and are more susceptible to damage.
    • Sails maintain the last speed they were set at no need to hold down the wasd keys.

Reaction score
    Skimmed over this thread, but perhaps "solar sails" would be a type of technology you'd be interested in OP. Google it sometime, tell me what you think.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I guess someone really loves the "Treasure planet" movie

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For this, I'd like two changes to the existing thruster blocks:
    1. Thrusters in attached entities should contribute to the overall thrust rating.
    2. You should be able to turn off the thruster plumes. (Preferably have the plume activate-able with logic, so you can "turn on" and "turn off" engine output, but that is separate from this sail idea.) Activating/deactivating the plume should be completely different from activating/deactivating the block's thrust contribution to the entity. (In other words, the thruster should still thrust, even when the plume is turned off.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For this, I'd like two changes to the existing thruster blocks:
    1. Thrusters in attached entities should contribute to the overall thrust rating.
    2. You should be able to turn off the thruster plumes. (Preferably have the plume activate-able with logic, so you can "turn on" and "turn off" engine output, but that is separate from this sail idea.) Activating/deactivating the plume should be completely different from activating/deactivating the block's thrust contribution to the entity. (In other words, the thruster should still thrust, even when the plume is turned off.)
    I think it would be fine having docked thruster groups contribute to the mothership's output, but only if you activate it with logic. To me it would seem weird having the fighters in a carrier provide thrust to that carrier.

The op has a neat idea, but shine will need to create space wind for it to work. How fast would you expect a ship using these sails to go?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    +1. Sort of like transparent blocks which 'glow' because of cosmic dust or whatever when moving.
    Groups provide bonuses maybe?? (To encourage large sails)
    Each one adds a small ammount of thrust thus you need quite large sails for larger ships.

How the thrust works:
    -Less power consumption than coventional.
    -Low acceleration (quite slow compared to thrust)
    -Low de-acceleration
    -High max speed compared to thrusters.
    Less affected by the 'Space friction currently in game.

I can see it being used for long-haul missions or exploration, and mainly being used on mid-large ships with thrusters still working on all ship sizes but more effective on smaller sized ships.
    Potentially both systems could be used on the same ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Or maybe conventional engines that are actually useful as a visual accessory as opposed to making people use crystals to simulate engines