A safehaven from the yogs-storm for veterans of Starmade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi guys,

This is an amazing game and as a mature gamer (31) I look forward to the delights of all the new features being added and to meet all of the \'vets\' in the blackness of space.

I bought the game and fully support the great work that the devs are doing and also the community.

Now, I am sure it won\'t turn out this way but I follow both the Yogscast and Scott Manley on Youtube. I discovered Starmade from the Yogscast video first and I just hope that it will not result in me being prevented from entering a server like some 2nd class citizen. Had I seen Scott Manley\'s or Schema\'s vids and come from there would I be any more welcome?

The game is in Alpha and is just growing into a beautiful flower, lets ensure the community grows into something that is inclusive, open and respectful.

See you all in the skies!

Kal

Reaction score
    I\'m 28 and it took me just a day to pretty much grasp all concepts in the game and build functional efficent ships.
    I never grief nor troll or act like an immature jerk.

This thread is what\'s wrong with many game communities. Elitism and self-delusional ideas of being entitled something all to themselves.
    If you love a game, you\'d want it to become successful to ensure further growth and development.
    Go somewhere else with your judgemental attitude.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    its not that its a bad thing its just way too much of a infux of people at one time the game went from about 20 servers and less than 500 people ( and most of the time under 100 people on at 1 time at the busyest times) to haveing above 1000 people at any time often way more so now servers are over welmed and such. and the game is damed near inposible to play online a lot of the time. but i think this chat would be awsome becuse its funer to chat with 50 people at a time instead if 1000...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am a fan of the Yogscast. I love their videos, and I discovered StarMade through them. I also do understand that the Yogscast fanbase is littered with trolls and idiots, but that isn\'t how the whole fanbase is. And assuming that just because someone entered the game with a surge of new players does not mean that they cannot understand the game. I have grasped all the basic concepts of the game, taken over a pirate station, found a desert pyramid, and have made a large docking station with 10 ports and a sophisticated factory system.

Do not assume that every part of the so-called \"yogs-storm\" is just some idiot. Many veterans are just as flawed as the new players, so please don\'t be elitist pricks like Travbro.

Thank you. This was my first post on the forums.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I remember the Gmod Towers community complaining about the yogs-storm aswell.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve came to this game because of the yogscast vid but it dosent mean if i didnt see it i wouldnt be here there are other youtubers that have done videos on starmade like scott manily i wouldve seen that video and came to the game anyway

Reaction score
    There is no need for justification here. Forming sub-communities is a natural right everyone has , there could be groups restricted to people who dislike sushis and build purple ships.

A significant part of the pre-existing community has done all they could to help newcomers , only to find all chatrooms still flooded with the same obvious questions , and their favorite servers where their ships are docked still full and unplayable a week after the storm started.

Asking people to sacrifice their sanity in a thankless attempt at community management is just silly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The problem is where those sub-communities come from. Purple ships fangroups or what-have-you are just communities of people seeking company of like-minded individuals for the sake of personal expression or choices not related to the game itself. The problem people have with this thread is elitist approach, which is also a bit condescending toward big group of people, many of whom didn\'t do anything wrong and deserve respect as well. That\'s why many posters in this thread - pre and post-Jun-19-yogcst-video members voice disapproval for the idea.

Reaction score
    Firstly, not everyone know the answer to questions that may be obvious to you. For example, just because you found this game before the Yogscast made a video about it doesn\'t meas your a veteran. If you found out about this game a year ago, then maybe, but finding out about this game in between january-april makes you a player, not a veteran.

Secondly, you can\'t assume that people finding this game after the Yogscast made a video about it is coming from theyre video, or at least you are making the impression that you are(you also seem to think that all of them are idiots).

And thirdly, newbies are newbies, and all of you once were a newbie. Well, exept for the creator of the game.

You could make the site to get away from the idiots, but not for people who found the game before a specific date. Making it exclusive to those who found the game before a specific date is being an idiot.

Need i say more? Or will you lock those who aren\'t idiots out of you sub-community out just because they joined the site after a specific date? If you are silent, i\'ll assume you got my point.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I mean common that is insaine. Its not like we dont have the solutions to all those problems. Get more servers and make informationa accessable to everyone. You cant bitch at people for asking about cloaking devices for example if neither the wiki, youtube or the game explains it in the first place.

In fact i would suggest that someone makes a video/wiki page for the frequent problems and questions people have and links to it in the support. That way they dont have to repeat themselves as much and it gives the newbies a chance to find the information for themselves before bothering the support.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    i\'m veteran (and certainlly one of the first french player) and it mean only one thing : i can transmit my knowledge of the game to newcomers and it\'s great to teach them to not grief other peoples like few veterans do , but noobs asking OTHER NINE THOUSAND questions per minutes are annoying but we have to deal with it and in the future they will become veterans and teach to *insertnewveryfamousyoutubechannelhere* followers how te become appreciated member of the starmade community ..etc and again and again ^^
    but i also agree with King_corduroy , the same thing hapened to me this morning and it was weird to see the full server message for the first time :(

whitelisted servers only for old member would be great ^^

@MichaelSeph if you are legendary what am i ? ;P

p.s: as a said before, i\'m french, sry for my bad english

Reaction score
    Dude dont be a dick. I just started a few days ago but that doesnt make me a total noob just cause i watched a yogscast video. If it wasnt for us then your beloved developer would run out of money and be forced to stop the development of the game. You should be happy that there is a large amount of people coming in. That means more donations and that the game can be further developed and possibly even become a full game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m personally a fan of the yogscast. I use their videos to find other games that look interesting or any Minecraft maps for me to share with my friends so we can have a good time. It\'s not the newbies that bring it down, it\'s the elitest people that think the newbies bring it down and try to drive them away from a game. To quote CryStal from ealier, \"all of you once were a newbie.\"

Those that have a negative start on a game will tell their friends, those friends will tell their friends about it, and so forth. The grapevine is a lot stronger now since everyone, who has access to the internet, is connected.

All games in one way or another, be it by a youtuber or the game advertising on TV/websites, will get a newbie group to come in. Gotta either suck it up and deal with it when it comes time for it, or look for the best in the situation. Who knows, one day perhaps that the guy you labled as a newbie might be one hell of a good community member that knows what\'s he doing.

My friends and I are still experimenting with ship designs, figuring out how this works with that. So when we do decide to join a server so we won\'t bug/annoy the vets on that server about the same question over and over again.

If I was labeled a \"vet\" I would welcome the yogscast fans that are willing to learn and enjoy the server/community. Where as the trollers/spammers and the negative parts of the yogcast fans I would love to do away with.

That\'s my opinion and views, but I believe it will probably get bashed for my first line. Well that or my profile pic. Can\'t say I at least tried.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is giving me a complete flashback to the Feed The Beast forums when rumours of the Yogscast doing a FTB let\'s play first emerged. I\'ll say the same thing now as I said then (ironically this time I\'m on the other side, coming in post-Yogscast-invansion rather than prior) unruly community members can be dealt with, and if the forum develops a reputation for dealing with these effectively will see less and less examples; however forming exclusive Anti-Yogscast groups will merely make the undesirables that you wish to keep out more determined.

Of course one major difference between this and the FTB invasion is that in this case it will result in more money to the developers, which is no bad thing...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Mature? guess it been way too long since you played eve? missed the legacy of goons? maturity ahoy...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t understand why people are hating on the yog-storm/yogscast influence. As much as I appreciate the detrimental effect that such an influx of players of a certain age group/maturity level can cause, you also have to understand that not the entire fanbase is represented by those 10 preteens that decide it\'s fun to grief.

As for the yogscast, they are entertainers. They are doing their job, and giving this game the publicity that\'s wanted is not bad for them - or the community. A community grows, the more players there are the bigger the community. Only real fans of the game will stick around. Hundreds of players sign up to bigger games per day, they may only play them for a day then never touch them again - that\'s not a bad thing. People test games, real fans will stay around and those who don\'t enjoy it will leave. It\'s simple.

Honestly people having an elitist attitude almost makes you as bad as the \"yog-storm\" in my opinion, since you think that they have a detrimental effect on the community. Yet you\'re potentially too ignorant to see the problems that attitudes like elitism can cause within itself.

Just my 10 pence though, take it as you may - certainly not trying to start a flame war so excuse me if it came along that way!

Haith

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So many long posts... the short story is:

Several \"veterans\", especially those who are also Testers (known for helping) welcomed and each of them answered thousands of questions to the yoggies, half of them were still doing that a week after day one, and sometimes that can cause broken fingers and brain meltdowns out of the stupidity which can be witnessed (notice I said \"can\" like people who say \"I downloaded the graphic card\", or can\'t find the \"Download\" button).

Not long after that players can also have the need to be somewhere quiet and peaceful, where they can just do what they like, play/build/chat with old friends. Not everyone has steel nerves.

It is not a dick move to expect the right of having somewhere peaceful where to play, especially those like Donut (who started this thread) who got buzzed with questions each day and want to rest. Whoever\'s opinions are welcomed, but these people still have the right to rest and have peace from time to time.