A safehaven from the yogs-storm for veterans of Starmade.

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Edit: Guys, this was never meant as an anti-yogscast thing, just a place for vets to have a quiet chat like they used to, don't blow this out of proportions or attach untrue motivations to it....

I didn't want to make this widely known just yet, but whoever wants a place to meet the other vets and get away from the wave of new players for a while can come to the future EarthGov Alliance website:

http://earthgovalliance.ihostinghq.com/news

Its still under construction, but the basic functionality is there and chat works like a charm, so come on over.

Really guys? Come on...

Reaction score
    We should arrange a mass suicide for Regulars, where we all just fly our ships into a star.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    lol you guys....

Anyway, if people who came on 04 are Veterans, what does that makes me as I came last year ? Legendary ? :P

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    period of time (before this yogs-storm).

Just so we can have a quiet place to hang out, go help new players and stop being cynical...

Reaction score
    Lol, 04, so when schema started the engine?

Anyway, thanks Donut. :3

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This is kind of a dick move. We should be helping and accepting these new players, not driving them away with this snooty and dickhead behavior. Veteran does not mean elitist.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just going to start by saying i\'m part of the yog-storm. I\'ve always wondered why players always get up in arms when a game they love gets a sudden influx of a ton of people. i was just curious as to the logic behind it, isn\'t it a good thing if now the game you love suddenly has a following and an influx of money to help the developer make the game that much better for you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I am with Gibbons on this one. If you consider (y)ourselves veterans, old guard or what-have-you just because we shown up before yogscast followers, I\'d suggest reconsidering the approach. Sure, some may have a bit more experiences than newly starting players but there are hardly any ancient gurus, the only ones with worthy input and I am sure more respect - if that\'s what you\'re after - would be both earned and given if we\'d actually knock off the elitist attitude and help those new guys.

That being said - and in answer to Ritly\'s question - I understand some concerns. Usually, the bigger community grows, the more of very noticeable \'unsavory elements\' show up - people who rarely offer decent input, prefering to create circlejerks, throw around all kinds of ideas, but unable to hold discussions. Eager but not overly coherent. And plain trolls. Forums speed up greatly, people write all the time and suddenly, easy and stable contact with the devteam and assurance that every idea/report is being checked disappears as well as there\'s just too much content to burn through and still work on a game for just a couple of developers.

But to be honest, I don\'t think it will be that much of a problem if some guidelines will be enforced in regards to posting and behavior (including \'check if what you say wasn\'t suggested or don\'t be surprised if what you suggest will be closed\'), moderator team will be scaled up to the size of aforementioned community and so on. General level may also not decrease because not only it would be horribly discriminating, untrue and overgeneralizing statement to say that every yogscast follower we\'ll get won\'t be a valuable member, but also because we already have a few more or less liked, well, elitist assholes, fond of dropping badly-written one-liners for the sake of \'LOL\'.

So, instead of looking for safe haven and marking Jun 19, 2013 (Yogscast\' Starmade video release, if I my short check just now gave me proper result) as beginning of the apocalypse, make this forum to be one decent - for everyone.

Reaction score
    Average Starmade player last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hih17yZ0uo

Average Starmade player now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBN1uZFSXeQ

Need I say more?

Thank God I\'m already a part of a pre-established community.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the same thoughts as Gibbons and Ritly, I am part of this so called yog-storm, but I only found this game because I was browsing youtube and found their video. At the very least it has given the game an influx in popularity, which can be a very good thing, especially if you set an example of a good community, not one that hates newcomers. Yes, some of them can be highly unintelligent, you can calmly tell them to read the wiki first or somthing. With more people, it means more money and determination for a great game to the developers, which means a bigger, and hopefully better game.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am one of the \"veterans\", but I have nothing against the new wave of players. In the end, it will be great for the game and the community. But, the few people that act like total idiots kind leave a sour taste in our mouths. :/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    its 0.09XX version of game , we all must help new players, and they will help us , if we need big game like EVE !!

Reaction score
    The difference is that EVE/Spreadsheets Online is played by thousands of mature people, especially businessmen and lawyers and the like, while Starmade is played now mostly by 13-year-old autists.

Reaction score
    It\'s not necessarily a good thing at this stage of development, sure it has it\'s merits, but it puts a lot more pressure on schema.

This sort of popularity is probably best when the game gets past the late alpha stage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think its an improvment... I mean look at the dry WoW raid atmosphere in the first one combined with their ugly box ships then look at some kids having fun and being creative.
    If i am not mistaken you shoot yourself in the foot there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not sure I can quiet agree with any of you except to give my two cents.

I don\'t think this thread is meant or geared towards belittling the influx of new players to the community by the Yogscast and other Youtubers. I happen to be here as well because I happen to trip upon the video in my subscription box and thought the game looked interesting, fun, and unique.

Sure we shouldn\'t accept the behavior of trolls and people who just want to generally ruin everyone\'s time, but we also shouldn\'t lop the Good-Apples in with them because they all come from the same place.

If anything we should be helping the community grow by encouraging a positive atmosphere and attitude that everyone can have fun in. It\'ll all be better in the end, if we treat it correctly.

Also, vise-versa... Newbies shouldn\'t go after Veterans as well because they want to setup something along the lines of a \"All Vets Welcome Here!\" club or do something to distinguish themselves. They aren\'t all wise gurus as Visitor said, but I think there\'s some merit (Even though it may be for a light-hearted funny sake) to saying \"I was here first!\" though I hope that would follow with \"Let me help you enjoy this wonderful game!\"

Just my two cents,

-Keki

King_Corduroy

Pre-Yogswarm Member
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The thing is, before the Yog-storm the majority of the people figured out how to play instantly, asked few if any questions and generally avoided other players in game (I mean Jesus even the trolls were reasonable people!). On a busy day there were only about 60 people on at one time, but now there are people everywhere! Whats worse is there is little or no recognition of the fact that there was a community here before this new influx. It tends to make people reactivly angry when they feel they are loosing something. For example I for one enjoyed being able to log into the server whenever it was functional rather than whenever all of the new players aren\'t on. Thus when I experienced the \"Server Full\" notice for the first time I was a little peeved that I had been here before the yog-storm and couldn\'t even play the game. In addition that first day of trouble shooting all of the Yog-naught fans problems made me want to personally want to ring their necks. However fear not Yog-ites I have met a few of good people in your lot and no longer feel this way. :D

BUT on the other hand I think a white listed server may be a good idea.

Pholopalus

あなたは笑う、あなたは失う
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    People who regard themselves as \'vets\' please send me a PM. I\'ve set up a low loot rate whitelist server for vets or people who can show they\'re versed in starmade mechanics.