A Reason To Play

Reaction score
    Regarding the thread itself, there are a lot of thought provoking ideas in this thread. My only concern is that we may be prioritizing accessory features before the foundation of faction combat/warfare. I see that as a huge mistake; given how Schine's focus is already divided.
    Wouldn't it be better to make a seperate thread for such combat/warfare suggestions, and let us people just having fun with discussing features you define as acessory?

Because I totally agree with OP that faction points shall not remain a passive income, and I am still all in to find variations for his idea.

And as OP said, this is a complex matter.

Faction points, behaviour score points, killscore points...All this points are proven to have enhanced the gameplay of Counter Strike and Dota! So any point or ranked system for our pvp oriented multiplayer could be an idea worth discussing.

Reactions: Vyor

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Wouldn't it be better to make a seperate thread for such combat/warfare suggestions, and let us people just having fun with discussing features you define as acessory?

Because I totally agree with OP that faction points shall not remain a passive income, and I am still all in to find variations for his idea.

And as OP said, this is a complex matter.

Faction points, behaviour score points, killscore points...All this points are proven to have enhanced the gameplay of Counter Strike and Dota! So any point or ranked system for our pvp oriented multiplayer could be an idea worth discussing.
    That's your choice but all your doing is potentially giving Schine more to look at that isn't part of the solution to what's wrong with PVP.

By all means, discuss to your heart's content. Maybe they'll get around to fixing the issues I mentioned when I reach retirement.

Take care.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    An idea for adding to the tools available to help make decisions on individual players, more granularly than faction-level:

A database storing:
    Player_Name
    Player_IP (yes, I know this can be easily changed, spoofed, etc., but at least this can be used for quick, automated bans)
    Player_action_type (focused on attacking, destroying, but also recording logins, logoffs, and deaths)
    Player_action_datetime
    Player_Mass
    Player_Size
    Player_Block_Count
    Player_Fleet_Count
    Player_Age_Since_Spawn
    Object_ID (This is generally the opponent of an encounter, whether the Player was attacked or did the attacking)
    Object_Name (This is generally the enemy player name, especially if it's not an AI)
    Object_IP
    Object_Type (Turret, ship, station)
    Object_Mass
    Object_Size
    Object_Block_Count
    Object_Fleet_Count
    Object_Age_Since_Spawn
    Player_Faction_Members
    Player_Faction_Points
    Player_Faction_Blocks
    Object_Faction_Members
    Object_Faction_Points
    Object_Faction_Blocks

So with this kind of database, the game (or a server-level app) can classify players by noob-stomping, spawn-camping (no matter how the spawning system is set up), or faction jumping.

Plus, by limiting the results to a certain timeframe, for instance, by searching the action_datetime field for the past 30 days or so, you can find players based not just on their overall behavior, but their recent bahavior. Then if you have a player who was originally a noob-stomper, but has reformed, his "criminal past" won't haunt him forever. Similarly, if someone who had no prior "violations" suddenly falls into depression or otherwise "goes bad", they won't be protected by their old behavior.

It has the potential for being an absolutely massive database, but I think this is the granularity that a server needs to group and tier individual players. I bring this up, because everyone is different, and you can have different types of people in one faction, so I just don't think that a system that only focuses on faction behavior will be sufficient. However, you can still use the available fields to "consolidate" faction members into a composite picture of a faction to perform faction-level group-and-tier. Other fields may need to be added to further improve faction grouping.

Reaction score
    An idea for adding to the tools available to help make decisions on individual players, more granularly than faction-level:

A database storing:
    Player_Name
    Player_IP (yes, I know this can be easily changed, spoofed, etc., but at least this can be used for quick, automated bans)
    Player_action_type (focused on attacking, destroying, but also recording logins, logoffs, and deaths)
    Player_action_datetime
    Player_Mass
    Player_Size
    Player_Block_Count
    Player_Fleet_Count
    Player_Age_Since_Spawn
    Object_ID (This is generally the opponent of an encounter, whether the Player was attacked or did the attacking)
    Object_Name (This is generally the enemy player name, especially if it's not an AI)
    Object_IP
    Object_Type (Turret, ship, station)
    Object_Mass
    Object_Size
    Object_Block_Count
    Object_Fleet_Count
    Object_Age_Since_Spawn
    Player_Faction_Members
    Player_Faction_Points
    Player_Faction_Blocks
    Object_Faction_Members
    Object_Faction_Points
    Object_Faction_Blocks

So with this kind of database, the game (or a server-level app) can classify players by noob-stomping, spawn-camping (no matter how the spawning system is set up), or faction jumping.

Plus, by limiting the results to a certain timeframe, for instance, by searching the action_datetime field for the past 30 days or so, you can find players based not just on their overall behavior, but their recent bahavior. Then if you have a player who was originally a noob-stomper, but has reformed, his "criminal past" won't haunt him forever. Similarly, if someone who had no prior "violations" suddenly falls into depression or otherwise "goes bad", they won't be protected by their old behavior.

It has the potential for being an absolutely massive database, but I think this is the granularity that a server needs to group and tier individual players. I bring this up, because everyone is different, and you can have different types of people in one faction, so I just don't think that a system that only focuses on faction behavior will be sufficient. However, you can still use the available fields to "consolidate" faction members into a composite picture of a faction to perform faction-level group-and-tier. Other fields may need to be added to further improve faction grouping.
    Don't forget player location and object location. If I was a pvper and would be interested into avoiding the system I would unfaction my ship and leave the core when it does the killing blow. If you have booth the location of the attacker and the body, you can extrapolate who killed who, if the killer is for example an unfactioned empty entity.

And the database also and foremost needs a timestamp. The object and player information need to be saved right when the kill happens. Age since spawn is not a timestamp that actually lets us find the two opponents that just fought the battle.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It has the potential for being an absolutely massive database,
    Pure text actually, pretty small. For a 3000 player server it wouldn't need to be larger than a few megabytes. It's not a bad idea really, and could allow a player level tier system instead of faction level.

Reactions: jayman38

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Don't forget player location and object location. If I was a pvper and would be interested into avoiding the system I would unfaction my ship and leave the core when it does the killing blow. If you have booth the location of the attacker and the body, you can extrapolate who killed who, if the killer is for example an unfactioned empty entity.

And the database also and foremost needs a timestamp. The object and player information need to be saved right when the kill happens. Age since spawn is not a timestamp that actually lets us find the two opponents that just fought the battle.
    Good ideas. To add onto that, you'll probably want a field for "Player_Last_Owned" or something like that. That way, if a player were to eject just before the killing blow, you'd have an idea of who did it, even if the player is blank or is populated by some generic Bobby AI ID.

"Hmm.... The ship was empty when it killed that new player. However, it was last occupied by Trollol69. I wonder who could have hatched this diabolical plot? Hmmm...."

Reaction score
    "You know, this faction rank system isn't focused on direct gameplay mechanics, I'm going to bitch about that and give no actual reasons the idea in the OP is bad."

-The actual reason was given, by me AND a couple others as well; Needless complication, no benefit.

-Options for actual improvements were also offered, alongside higher priorities.

-The only "bitching" was done by you, on multiple counts by now; Here, attempting to give me sass and ridicule my post with yor hilariously wrong interpretation, or when you wrote that anyone who doesn't like your proposal can f*** themselves. Or every other post when you try to be cynical and manage to reveal a further logic loophole on your own part. THAT is bitching.

It'd be best if you just stopped.

Last edited:

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would respectfully remind everyone to avoid any personal insults which may result in penalties. Let's keep it civil and have a productive discussion.