A Re-thought Out Universe

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Hey guys, I am fairly new to the community, but I, (like many) have suggestions and ideas about how to make Star-Made better. Now all you have to do is sit back, relax, and hear me out.

I think that my biggest request right now, is to make the Star-made universe more ascetically pleasing. Now. Before you say "Bull crap! They need to add bigger guns for my ship first!" Like I said before, please hear me out.

This would mainly work by separating the sectors with solar- systems in them into three categories. The first being early solar system, the second being the way it is now, (or mid solar system) and the third being late solar system.

Let me try to explain this concept as best as possible. The early solar system would have a much higher spawn rate for asteroids (as the planets have not completely formed yet.) A dimmer sun (if possible), and most of the planets in the system would be lava worlds, (as they have recently formed). Also if possible it would be nice to have ALL of the planets in this system have a much more see-through atmosphere (representing little or no atmosphere due to gas collections elsewhere in the system that have not settled yet).

The mid solar system would be the way it is now.

The late solar system would have planets with fighter-sized craters in them, (I am no expert but I believe that craters in planets are an immense amount to ask.. sorry). Their sun would give off a more grayish light (purely aesthetic, just for effect, and not realistic at all). These sectors should also have a higher chance of pirates spawning in them, and maybe some comets, (just re-configured asteroids with a couple of the block ID's swapped out for ice and snow blocks).

I know this is an immense amount of work to ask (or even theorize), but I think that these tweaks to the way the world looks will make star-made a better game.

I believe that Star-made has the potential to be much more intriguing and dynamic than something like minecraft, simply because the developers have set up no real boundaries as to what they can add to the game in the future.

-Spazzamatic1400

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    While im not that fussed about the different age solar systems, I do like the idea of different stars. I'd love it if some of the stars in the game were red giants, or hot blue ones. The area they'd be in would then have coloured natural light aswell

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    While im not that fussed about the different age solar systems, I do like the idea of different stars. I'd love it if some of the stars in the game were red giants, or hot blue ones. The area they'd be in would then have coloured natural light aswell

Yes the general Idea would be to have different star types, each with their own atmosphere (look and feel) as in colored light and different planet types, along with adjusted spawn rates for Asteroides ectera. These values would only apply in the sector with the star in it. This could lead to some even more complex systems like two stars orbiting each other in a sector!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Certainly not a bad idea; I hope this gets added into whatever other updates are planned for the universe.

Reaction score
    Actually, applying craters to planets is pretty much of the same difficulty as placing cities and pyramids (we already have those).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Before things like this, I'd rather have system generation itself fixed. Asteroids shouldn't spawn in every empty sector, systems shouldn't have half a million planets, and void space shouldn't be so damn small.

...After that stuff is fixed, then we can talk about different types of systems, more planets, etc.

Reaction score
    Before things like this, I'd rather have system generation itself fixed. Asteroids shouldn't spawn in every empty sector, systems shouldn't have half a million planets, and void space shouldn't be so damn small.

...After that stuff is fixed, then we can talk about different types of systems, more planets, etc.
    Yes. I was assuming that this might be implemented into the game after the rough edges of system spawning and other bigger issues have been solved.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'd like to see solar systems being flatter, like our system. Planets are just randomly scattered. And much more void and barren systems with only stars, and no planets. This would make planets rarer, and people would fight over them more.

Reactions: Spazzamatic1400

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not too keen on the idea. If I want to travel to a different star system, I'd rather it be more likely to contain useful planets.

Reaction score
    And perhaps some smoother transitioning between systems/sectors? But I'm all for more variety, keeps things interesting.

Reaction score
    I'd like to see solar systems being flatter, like our system. Planets are just randomly scattered. And much more void and barren systems with only stars, and no planets. This would make planets rarer, and people would fight over them more.
    Yes even better would be planets that actually move around in an orbit to the sun. Although I am not entirely sure if this would be feasible. (May cause too much lag) And also empty systems (basically just a star and mabye a gas cloud and some asteroids). Which would make decent planets a rarity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, I disagree. Maps would be impossible then. Also, Lecic, our solar system isn't flat, there actually are quite a few inclines. One thing that should be changed too is the way planets appear in the map, because right now, it looks like there are a whole bunch of them in one sector (this probably has to do with the new planets).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No, I disagree. Maps would be impossible then. Also, Lecic, our solar system isn't flat, there actually are quite a few inclines. One thing that should be changed too is the way planets appear in the map, because right now, it looks like there are a whole bunch of them in one sector (this probably has to do with the new planets).
    I know our solar system isn't perfectly flat, but it's a lot flatter than the systems in Starmade.

Reaction score
    Yea, never mind that moving planets idea.. But I do like the idea of a "flatter" solar system to make theplanets at least look like they are revolving around the sun.

Reaction score
    Gas Clowds:

One thing that I would really like to see in this game is gas Clowds.

Essentially they would work like this: you have these randomly generated objects that are about 10-20 times bigger than a medium sized astroid. They can spawn in small numbers (2-7 each seperated by around 2 kilometers of empty space.) in the outskirts of a solar system. Or they can spawn in large numbers (7-25) in an empty sector.

They would be of course, see-through but to varying degrees. (5% alpha to 25%) this way some parts of a clowd are thicker than others.

These Clowds don't interact with anything except light and salvage beams. Meaning that you can fly right through them, but they can still be mined as a resource. They should also be relatively easy to see through. They wont block your vision so don't worry.

For colors: probably something like orangy brown beer colored. ---fun fact! Some interstellar gas Clowds are composed of ethanol alcohol!--- or maybe a greenish grey color. They should blend in pretty well with space because they are see through.

Reaction score
    I would like to see rings of asteroids/space "garbage" around large planets that could hit big ships that try to completely mine out a planet, plus you could build awesome basses on them.