A quick poll Power 2v1?

If the pre-release was out 2morrow, what system would you use for Solo and Multiplayer?

• Stick with Power 1.0 (Tried and true!)

Votes: 20 46.5%
    • Update to Power 2.0 (What could go wrong?)

Votes: 10 23.3%
    • Update, but heavily edit the server configs.

Votes: 5 11.6%
    • I feel empty inside.

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Out of curiousity, I (and I'm sure other players and hopefully the devs) would be interested in your reaction if the Pre-Release version was to drop tommorw.

Hence it's title ("Pre-Release") we can only assume all the significant mechanics/features have been implimented, with only minnor tweaking/improvements still on-going.
    (Otherwise why would it be called the "Pre-Release Version" o_O..)

• Would you stick with the current flawed but tried and true system untill you were happy with the new release? (Assuming your server of choice follows this)
    • Would you try and brave the rapids and dive into the new system?
    • Or would you instead apply your own feedback to the config files, removing or changing the mechanics that you deem most harmful to the game? (e.g reducing Stab. Distance)

Reaction score
    Power 2.0 have the advantage of making my ships randomly explode from simply shooting at the opponents.
    I would like power 1.0 and that mechanic.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    current flawed but tried and true system
    It is not flawed... "personal view" If you think it is flawed fine but it is a sensitive topic to bring up. A more neutral line of what do you plan on using power 1.0 or power 2.0? Would be better.

Schema hard codding anything in StarMade is the problem. I should simple be able to pick and choose how i setup the game. So that I can build and play as I see fit. He does keep a lot of the old settings around but they never let you go 100% to how it was and that stings.

For me if i could just choose and pick when i launched the game with modules then it would look like this:

No Cargo and Mass does not add weight or effects Thrusters.

Carry anything and everything as much as you like in astronaut inventory. Again mass does not add weight.

Power 1.0 but no line mechanics just place blocks at random where ever you like. Power charge still follows maximum efficient line setup even though no lines are used.

1.000.000 Power Recharge limit with No Way to up with docked power or auxiliary power.

Core killing with no Ships Health System no need to reboot ships even when Core Killing is enabled.

Old Weapons with unnerfed pierced or punch missiles. Weapons use less energy from before the nerf. Ships would again look like Swiss Cheese after a successful attack.

Weapons lock on the Ships Core not seek out systems on there own.

No Advanced Chat Client.

All fixes for cheats, exploits and bugs up until the latest version enabled.

In other words StarMade is not a Game until you launch it. Schema just codes the systems. The players sets it up and provides the content.

Dukeofrealms said StarMade is not Minecraft but it is Minecraft! Look at early Beta Minecraft and mirror StarMade to that in the way it gave total control to the end user. Because no two players are ever a like do not force one way use in a sandbox game.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Agreed. My settings would not be the same, but more modularity in configuration could only be positive.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think one of the main reasons schema has yet to implement a modding API (aside from the obvious technical hurdles) is because we would just modify the game on a server by server basis and never use vanilla again. We would essentially rip the game from his hands and start building it our own way.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    I think one of the main reasons schema has yet to implement a modding API (aside from the obvious technical hurdles) is because we would just modify the game on a server by server basis and never use vanilla again. We would essentially rip the game from his hands and start building it our own way.
    I don't know. I think I had read at one point that starmade actually was borne out of a separate project he had been doing. IIRC he basically wrote a game engine using java, and THEN decided he wanted to make a space voxel game. So maybe it's more like game and engine development are going on simultaneously.

Someome tell me if I'm way off base here.

God I'm tired...

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't know. I think I had read at one point that starmade actually was borne out of a separate project he had been doing. IIRC he basically wrote a game engine using java, and THEN decided he wanted to make a space voxel game. So maybe it's more like game and engine development are going on simultaneously.

Someome tell me if I'm way off base here.

God I'm tired...
    The original game was about assaulting a fortress called the death star and killing the death star core. It evolved into,....this. the sector system started there, actually, as sectors were originally just a single instance of the death star game.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    we would just modify the game on a server by server basis and never use vanilla again. We would essentially rip the game from his hands and start building it our own way.
    You are joking right? Have you even used a mod on any game ever?

If you take the Minecraft example then there must be thousands upon thousands of mods made for that game alone.

So Notch the Minecraft inventor would be somewhere crying in a corner because some of his playerbase expanded upon his creation?

Really? :ROFLMAO:

And I want StarMade to be modular from itself.

So you would not even have to use a Mod. Just pick and choose the parts that you want in your StarMade game. And each part can have its settings altered.

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why I'm sure that most of the people who voted for 1.0 power are the same people who constantly flamed about the old system and caused the entire rework.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Gets killed by a power hungry titan shaped by a talented builder with lots of experience
    "We must change it! It's an abomination! Large ships are too powerful!"
    Sees the new spaghetti and dumbbell meta
    "I've made a huge mistake"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why I'm sure that most of the people who voted for 1.0 power are the same people who constantly flamed about the old system and caused the entire rework.
    If A system is flawed, as testers it is only appropriate that we give feedback on it.
    The new power system holds promise, but ultimately is a step down in useability and player experiance, if we go by the goals the devs set for it.

No one asked or even suggested power streams or 1D power Regan lol. That's entirely on the devs.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    1.0 had serious structural issues that limited ship variety and really silly ballancing leading to exploits all over the place, but was ultimately functional. Still, a rework was called for.

2.0 killed the game, eliminated every form of ship variety from the design process and introduced 10x more exploits that are far more severe.