A question about upcoming shipyards

Do you think mobile shipyards is a good idea? (assuming that a proper cargo system is in place)

• Yes, it's an excellent idea

Votes: 16 72.7%
    • Yes, it's a great idea even if it's OP

Votes: 3 13.6%
    • No, that would be terrible

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Will they be placeable on ships? I mean, it would be pretty cool if you could build some fighters in your capital ship homeworld-style. I assume that it would be a bit OP until the way storage works is updated, since you could carry a huge fleet inside a frigate sized mobile shipyard in form of blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    maybe ships with the hyperdrive block/capital ship block can build ships.
    I have no idea when hyperdrive will be added into starmade.
    If a ship yard could produce will the ship is moving that would be to op.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Horrible idea ever, i see massive ships building a stupid drone numbers on the go while fighthing other ships, however if the ships that build ships cant be used properly for combat situation would be nice.
    I said it should only get added once proper cargo system is in place, meaning that you need to carry all the blocks you'll use to build ships out of. The more blocks you carry, the more cargo system blocks (whatever exact system will be in place) you'll need, naturally decresing the amount of offensive systems you can have on your ship considering you want to keep your weight the same.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Horrible idea ever, i see massive ships building a stupid drone numbers on the go while fighthing other ships, however if the ships that build ships cant be used properly for combat situation would be nice.
    Just limit the number of active drones to one per factory.

Make the drones like abandoned stations - when you kill the core or AI, it's dead and you can't get any scrap.
    Also require scrap materials for these (and a little bit of fuel built out of some currently rather useless capsules) to NOT have them an "infinite loop of infinite production infinite OPness".
    This would work well together with limited cargo size. Scrap would draw so much of your volume and space.​

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it would be fine, as long as it is stupid-slow.

Place Block 1 ... Check Watch ... Place Block 2....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Have the ship assembly take time. Meaning you can't just instantly spit out a new ship. Stack limits and more limited storage for the mobile shipyards would be good for balancing too.
    I like the idea, but it would need some pretty heavy balancing to get it right.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    why would you use cargo storage when you can use black hole storage chests.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea.
    In order to address the time-of-builds issue and stop capital ships spewing out dozens of craft per minute, perhaps require the number of blocks and their placement to define effectiveness. i.e. If you place an L shape of 3x3x3 (a la power cores), it produces 9 blocks per 5 seconds or something. And they all have to link to a 'shipyard mainframe' computer block.

Another mechanism to limit production would be using docking/turret enhancer style placement of the shipyard blocks, to control the maximum dimensions of the ships produced, preventing a little frigate from launching Titans!!

(Also, I think the ideas could be merged - to control time and space!)

Those are two ideas anyway, that's a penny each. :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429979434,1429979136][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I had a similar concept on a fleet I designed for a story. It was designed to be a long range, self sufficient fleet and had mining ships and what I called forge ships, which were extremely lightly armed, and just processed all the materials the mining vessels captured. Mine were only producing munitions and replacement hull plates, but the idea is the same. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    As long as its heavily balanced. One balancing issue, as stated above, is speed. Also, will it/can it repair ships? If so, the power draw for that should be immense. Maybe limit the amount of blocks it can form into a ship? That would cut down on OPness

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i remember the team said before,
    any system for ship may cause "OP" issue,
    will probably comes with a huge debuff

So, dun worry about OP