A question about shields

Reaction score
    A question to the shields of Turrets.

I know, turrets are guarded by the shields of the ship, as long as they are over 50%.
    But how does it work exactly?

Let’s say a turret of my ship has a shield of ist own of 10.000 in ist base. The weapon-part of the turret has no shields.
    The ship has shields of 100.000
    Now the turret, mainly the weapon-part, is hit by enemy fire.
    Where is the incomming damage now subtracted from and in which order?
    First fom the 100.00 of the ship itself, as long as there are more than 50.000? And after that from the 10.00 of the turret base?
    Or are the 10.000 of the turret consumed at first, and after that the remaining damage fom the ships shields?

How does this mechanic work?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I believe that docked entities are now protected even if the parent entity has greater than 35% vs the 50% you stated above.

So in your example first the damage would be absorbed by the turret's base 10,000 shields.
    Once those shields are reduced to 3,500 shields then the damage starts to get absorbed by the parent entities 100,000 shields.
    Once the parent entities shields are reduced to 35,000 shields the weapon-part of your turret will begin to take damage.

If I'm wrong please somebody correct me.

Reaction score
    I'll just quote Malacodor who answered on a similar thread.

Unfortunately it's threefoldly wrong.
    1. The shield sharing limit is 25%, not 50%, that was changed a while ago.
    2. Damage first goes to the shields of the entity that was hit. If a turret barrel was hit, the damage first depletes the barrel's shields, then the base's shields and at last the shields of the mothership.
    3. If the mothership has 10 000 shields, a docked entity has 200 shields and the latter is hit with 9000 damage in a single hit, then the mothership's shields will go down to 1199 (the barrel's shields will keep their last point). However, if the barrel is hit with 11 000 damage in a single hit, the mothership's shields won't be damaged at all and all damage will go to the barrel. Apparently shield sharing is deactivated, if a hit would completely deplete the main entity's shields.
    2. and 3. are the results from a test I just performed in the game (v0.199.172), so I'm pretty sure it's correct.

Last edited:

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Scypio pretty much covered it. The mothership shields don't protect you until the turrets own shields are down. Its also important to note that if the main ship has ion and the turret doesn't then the motherships ion will NOT apply to the turrets own shields but WILL apply once the turret starts being protected by the motherships own shield.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ooh, I missed where the limit was 25% of the mother's shields now instead of 50%. I heartily approve of that one!