A Practical Question

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, I'm building a Star Wars replica ship. Strictly for RP purposes. Lots of rooms that don't actually serve a function but were in the schematics, that sort of thing. So it takes about 10 minutes to walk from one end to the other along the X-axis. Now, in Star Wars, there were no teleporters, but those new blocks can cut travel time around key parts of the ship.

So my question to you is this. Even though it's purely an RP ship, should I add teleporters to get around key locations for the sake of ease, or do I stick to my guns and do the standard elevator and monorail system that was actually used?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You can make a pretty fast elevator out of shoot out rails. You just need to make sure that the shoot out rails get turned back into regular rails before the elevator reaches the end of the rail otherwise it will get shot out into space :)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'd try to avoid teleporters.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I used teleporters in what I would call maintenance areas, areas where your not suppose to be walking around. Or to places that are hard to build passageways to, like turret barrels.

Another option I liked after I saw it in a youtube is putting gravity blocks into the floor. So you can walk or manually trigger the gravity block. You can put in small docked entities with a second docker used as an arrow pointing for the direction the gravity module in the floor will move you. At the next wall you hit when falling there is a trigger area setup for normal gravity to stand you up the right way again. This can be done on both ends of a passageway. This gives you corridors that you can walk and if you want to go really fast a gravity tube. You do need the wall at the end though. Sometimes you don't trip the area trigger but walking a little on the wall will trigger it.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    "Maintenance" teleporters to the core that are mostly hidden. (E.g. You must use this special sonic shower to pilot the ship. ;) ) Monorails and such everywhere else. (Don't forget to use multiple parallel rails to effectively increase rail speed.)

A big part of Scifi media is to remember that reality always bends to the plot. If you must be somewhere on the ship in a hurry, go ahead and place a "sonic shower" nearby to emerge at the appropriate location double-quick. ("We'll have to fight them ship-to-ship. Pardon me. I need a quick shower... and suddenly I'm in a Tie-fighter, ready to launch.)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You could always disguise the teleporters AS the monorails and lifts.

As in, you go into the lift, use the teleporter computer as the lift interface to pick your floor, and then you beam to an identical room on that floor and pretend like you just had a fast forwards through the long lift ride.

Reactions: Tamren Shade
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So, I'm building a Star Wars replica ship. Strictly for RP purposes. Lots of rooms that don't actually serve a function but were in the schematics, that sort of thing. So it takes about 10 minutes to walk from one end to the other along the X-axis. Now, in Star Wars, there were no teleporters, but those new blocks can cut travel time around key parts of the ship.

So my question to you is this. Even though it's purely an RP ship, should I add teleporters to get around key locations for the sake of ease, or do I stick to my guns and do the standard elevator and monorail system that was actually used?
    Even in starwars someone had to be a janitor. Put them in the janitors closet.
    They also could be used as a toilet ....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Even in starwars someone had to be a janitor. Put them in the janitors closet.
    They also could be used as a toilet ....

It's less about finding a place to put them and more about having them at all. For the sake of realism.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It's less about finding a place to put them and more about having them at all. For the sake of realism.
    My point was use them it doesn't have to be obvious they are there. After all they do make it easier to get around.