A possible solution to the very mild "chair problem".

Reaction score
    Two ideas that have been suggested so far:
    1. Chairs, beds, and the like, should be made out of existing blocks at the cost of there usability.
    2. Chairs, beds, and the like, should have their own models, possibly at the expense of other more functional blocks.
    My idea:

Have them made out of already existing blocks, but have a menu in build mode that allows you to change the method in which characters can interact with them.

Example:
    • Place a block or wedge down that has its top face fully exposed.
    • Go into build mode
    • Set the object's user interactivity to "Sit on when activated"
    • Now, clicking on this block locks you on top of it in a seated position until the (leave ship) button is pressed.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    Unfortunately, this would force all blocks to have an additional variable-exponentially using memory up. This idea could still be possible if there were only a few (new) interactive blocks, which would have the aforementioned variables. The interactive block(s) could then change texture to suit their environment (configurable w/ build mode)

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I also think Chairs and Beds should have their own model. If you want to customise them, then you can always place a coupla wedges around them to make them look more like a sofa or Captain's chair etc.

Reactions: Yaodin
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I also think Chairs and Beds should have their own model. If you want to customise them, then you can always place a coupla wedges around them to make them look more like a sofa or Captain's chair etc.
    The thing about starmade is that you get to design your own chair. It would be possible to use an invisible block (but visible in build mode) to set chair/stasis pod/whatever locations.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Chairs made from wedges don't look cool. I want specific blocks for chairs, screens and other decorative/functional blocks. It would be best if these blocks wouldn't be typical cubes, but rather vary in sizes.

I don't know if it's possible, because so far every existing block is 1x1x1 but maybe with some magic casted by Schema the dreams would become reality :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here's the thing: I like making my own chairs. It's part of the creativity of making ships. Standardizing chairs would inhibit creativity, since you would have to design your chair around the chair model.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Here's the thing: I like making my own chairs. It's part of the creativity of making ships. Standardizing chairs would inhibit creativity, since you would have to design your chair around the chair model.
    This would not inhibit creativity because there is nothing stopping you from making chairs but the people who want a pre fab option would have it. I would probably still make some of my own chairs too like for the captain but just a wedge for additional computer stations suck and I don't want to waste a ton of room and that makes no sense because real chairs are not multiple meters in every dimension.

Reaction score
    To me it depends mostly on what schema says the limits are. If we get to a point of choosing between adding a startrek style teleportation block and a chair block, I would rather sit on a wedge.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The thing about starmade is that you get to design your own chair. It would be possible to use an invisible block (but visible in build mode) to set chair/stasis pod/whatever locations.
    This, IMO, would be the "cheapest" good solution, actually. It means that chairs are customizable, no new models need to be added, and there are no extra performance-eating variables that need to be added either. However, IMO there should certainly be modeled screens, about the size of Minecraft wall signs. They should have twelve orienations, if possible - forward, backward, left, right, diagonal-up-forward, diagonal-up-back, diagonal-up-left, and diagonal-up-right, and diagonal-down-forward, backward, etc.; straight up and down are unnecessary, IMO. We could have placeable logbooks that face sraight up if we wanted, however.

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    a while ago i had the idea that chairs should be an invisible block that can only be seen in build mode. now in the dev builds we have the proximity blocks which have an invisible activation block that only shows up in build mode. using this system its possible to make custom chairs while still enabling players to sit in them.

Reaction score
    This, IMO, would be the "cheapest" good solution, actually. It means that chairs are customizable, no new models need to be added, and there are no extra performance-eating variables that need to be added either. However, IMO there should certainly be modeled screens, about the size of Minecraft wall signs. They should have twelve orienations, if possible - forward, backward, left, right, diagonal-up-forward, diagonal-up-back, diagonal-up-left, and diagonal-up-right, and diagonal-down-forward, backward, etc.; straight up and down are unnecessary, IMO. We could have placeable logbooks that face sraight up if we wanted, however.
    Except we know that it is impossible for two blocks to take up the same space. The engine just cant do that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Except we know that it is impossible for two blocks to take up the same space. The engine just cant do that.
    ...It wouldnt require that. The way I see it, the character would sit inside the "chair block," on top of its bottom face.

Reaction score
    Also it might be possible (albeit kind of sloppy) to have the chair occupy one block as far as physics are concerned but graphically draw over the surrounding ones. If it's possible it could be put on a back layer so adjacent blocks clip over the graphics.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Once i tried to make an interplanetary bridge between two planets (in adjacent sectors) and it resulted in two different blocks exactly in the same space. Just some oddity.

Yeah, i know these blocks were on different entities.

Reaction score
    Once i tried to make an interplanetary bridge between two planets (in adjacent sectors) and it resulted in two different blocks exactly in the same space. Just some oddity.

Yeah, i know these blocks were on different entities.
    Same thing happens all the time with turrets.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Also it might be possible (albeit kind of sloppy) to have the chair occupy one block as far as physics are concerned but graphically draw over the surrounding ones. If it's possible it could be put on a back layer so adjacent blocks clip over the graphics.
    Not going to work in a block array, I don't think.