A possible solution to sub-block INV clutter

yay or nay?

• yay

Votes: 8 80.0%
    • nay

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    so while building my ship and managing various sub blocks (wedges, tetras, ECT) i suddenly had an idea that could end all this sub block clutter madness.

it would require being able to have a decimaled amount of items. (example 10.5 grey hull blocks)

basically when you have a full block in your hand, and hold control for advanced buildmode, next to the area where you can pick orientation, you have another option to select available shapes for that block, like wedges and all the rest if available.

and now heres the interesting part. depending on the shape you put down, it will consume a decimaled amount of a full block. depending on how much volume that shape has. so for example, wedges being literally half the volume of a full block would consume 0.5 blocks. and the same would apply to the volumes of the other shapes.

this would essentially solve all inventory problems with sub blocks as well as solve the whole "how do i craft these sub blocks" problem. because with just having say regular grey hull blocks in your hand you wouldn't need another 4 inventory slots for all the shapes.

Last edited:

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Good idea, although a simple "creative mode block menu" akin to minecraft (admins only) would work, too.
    Anything to solve the issue of having to /giveid all the time coupled with having to throw away stacks of blocks only to /giveid the very same block again later. You can't even throw them away without exiting the core of the ship under construction most of the time.

Reaction score
    one quick way of doing it that iv found is to simply build near a shop, buy one of what you want, then use the give slot command. just type it once to have it give you like a million or something and all you gota do is buy one block, highlight it, and press enter, up, enter.

much easier then looking up and remembering block id's. and if the shop is out of a specific item you can always use the restock command. and when your inv is full you can just sell it or dump it in a chest.

but ya we need to organize this inventory stuff. either more slots or some mechanic like the one i mentioned in OP. a creative type menu wouldn't help us crafting only/survival players

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Who the heck voted no on this idea? I can't imagine why anyone would. This idea even begins to transcend the block nature of the game and behave more like you're welding a hull plate onto something; one type of plate that you'd cut into the appropriate shape before welding it in place.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Neither vote option. Wedges, tetras, pentas and corners currently have the same hp and armor as the full block, so the partial block (.5) is a bad idea. However, the idea of adding all the shapes in one block that gets displayed in your inventory is a very good idea. I just can't vote yay without agreeing to that part, so an agree will have to do.

Reaction score
    i realize they have the same HP and all, but considering that is going to be changed and balanced, i see no reason why this method should not be applied. we should think about how things will be in the final version, not how they currently are.

Reactions: Valiant70