A pile of ideas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having only recently downloaded the free alpha in the past few days, I am already deep into constructing a titanic starcruiser. As I build and add new sections I think of more and more things I would love to add to my ship and the wide new universe I am exploring.

1: Aesthetics. Tired of staring at your drab grey hull? Cant afford those expensive decoration blocks? Don't want to save up for some hardened hull? Why not try a cryogenic unit? a picture frame? a weapons rack? The next best step from being able to place just square blocks is being able to attach different things to those blocks. The one thing I am most looking forwards to with this game is the sci-fi genre of decorative things that will populate those empty spaces in my ship. What I am looking forward to is something that may resemble a bed in minecraft. A re-textured undeathinator or some sort of cryogenic cell you can place inside the crew quarters. Objects that simply say this ship has a crew or a lone character living inside it.

2: A wider variety of mobs. Understandably these require a lot of time and testing to implement, but I would love to see a new set of mottly, ragged pirates. Perhaps a small scouting ship, or a titanic pirate flagship! But importantly I would love to see the counter to these menacing space briggands. Some sort of policing force, an NPC faction that acts as a sort of governing force. Patrolling from shop to shop. It would introduce the possibility of mobs that the player simply cant fight alone, and may need to retreat to the safety of one of these patrolled areas to seek aid. It would be something grand to be not just the omnipotent astronaught with the biggest ship, but also an enlisted law enforecer. Recieving missions and quests to hunt down pirates, or being coersed into pilaging and plundering merchant ships whilest evading detection by patrolling cruisers. This would likely take the longest time to implement, but it would give great depth to the starmade universe, and even allow for a sort of plot or lore between good and evil (Players choosing either side of course.)

3: It is grand and fantastic to have the many blocks at current in the free alpha to build with. I have already experience the commerce of items being transported from one station to another, and selling my ore to purchase parts. But what I would enjoy seeing other than the many blocks we can place and deploy, are player items. Though I have not yet experienced online play, I can imagine if a player boards your ship you've not much to do but stare at them untill they go away. Or if atmospheric conditions are applied to the game what foods could players eat to keep from starving, what they would light the way with deep in a planets core, or defend themselves with if beset upon by man eating aliens! This is certainly going to be the next 'big step' in my mind for this game. The introduction of something so simple as a ray gun could open a million possibilities for players. After all, "Hokey Lore and ancient aesthetics are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." (immitates Han Solo.)

Those are just three ideas of many im putting up for potential consideration, and I cant wait for the game to reach beta phase or even its final release. The game has great potential and I am certain it'll share in the love creatives have for minecraft (And then steal it all because you can build vehichles :D!).

Keep the updates rolling and the development smooth guys, great game!

Readers feel free to list your own ideas in comments :).

Reaction score
    Mob variety is already in existence by simply building and cataloging ships or downloading others\' creations. Missions are not a thing, but a law enforcement faction is. It\'s the Trade Guild. Fire upon a shop and a number of AI ships belonging to said faction will attack.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Trade faction is hardly law enforcement. They just protect their own interests. You can easily and without any risks fire upon random, neutral stations found floating.

Other than that, I would gladly see some furniture and aesthetic gadgets myself (pilot\'s seat, regular chair, normal bed, some table) as well as need to eat and edibles, but I think that\'s the stuff for the future. Variety of enemy units was addressed - they depend on the blueprints stored locally.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I whole heartedly agree with wanting some aethestic blocks, I want my ship to have a sleeping quaters and a mess hall. I don\'t actually care if they do anything or not. I don\'t think this should be a high priority for the devs, but I imagine as soon as modding becomes a thing in this game this will be one of the first mods we see.