A new way to repair ships

Reaction score
    Ok so I had a massive pirate fight and got my a** handed to me. After I re-spawned my ship was no where to be found. I had fought in sector 5 15 5. Searching did not turn up any results, ( maybe I typed it in wrong) so I looked at the index database thing and found that my ship was magically in sector 0 0 0 (it gets better). So when I recovered my ship, I found a few damage marks but nothing that went to the core (I have no idea why i died). Well I built myself a repair ship and began work. I noticed that as I was healing my ship the missing blocks re-appeared. The blocks were certainly gone, but as I used the technobeams the missing blocks came back.. Poof! a perfect battle ready ship. While this is odd I came up with an idea:

If the devs are up to it and if it does not impede on performance. I have come up with a repair/damage system. When destroyed, the blocks are "Marked" as destroyed (they still exist in memory but do not get drawn/updated) this way when exposed to a repair beam they magically re-appear. It would be cool if they could only re-appear if the player has that block in his/her inventory.

This may solve the "repair from blueprint" requests. I think it may be easier to implement.

Although with my programming background it may break previous ships because it would involve a block object change:

For example, I imagine the block object is something like this: (more or less)

Code:
    Class Block{
    int blocktype; // Wedge/Corner/Block
    int blockid; 
    }
    This change would require an additional field
    Code:
    Class Block{
    int blocktype; // Wedge/Corner/Block
    int blockid;
    boolean destroyed; //-> required for the game engine to know not to do anything with that block
    }
    This post is more for the developers, but all are welcome to review this idea.
    All in all when a block is destroyed it does not get deleted (this may even help lag issues with damage?) it just gets a property change.

Reaction score
    Hm, interesting twist on repair beams.

However, I do worry that, given a 3-block-thick wall, my beam will replace the outer blocks and the inner blocks (if I use it on the opposite side of the wall) and leave me unable to replace the blocks sandwiched in between. How would you account for this?

Reaction score
    Basically it would need to only be able to target "destroyed" blocks that are next to a "live" block. Once the HP of the "destroyed" block reaches 100% it would change back to a "Live" block and the process starts over. Of course this leaves an issue with floating blocks. The repair beams could also be re-fitted by repairing all the blocks that are in the path of the beam (the beam would "cut" though the ship).

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Repair beam penetrates undamaged blocks (easiest?), or only repairs a block which has an undamaged block or empty space behind it?

Reaction score
    Basically it would need to only be able to target "destroyed" blocks that are next to a "live" block. Once the HP of the "destroyed" block reaches 100% it would change back to a "Live" block and the process starts over. Of course this leaves an issue with floating blocks. The repair beams could also be re-fitted by repairing all the blocks that are in the path of the beam (the beam would "cut" though the ship).
    I see -- but I'm still wondering..

Assume D's are live blocks and O's are destroyed blocks.

DDDDD
    ODODO
    ODODD
    ODDDO

How do I repair the two central O's if my beam can't touch them?

EDIT: Ah, 0ldSkull ; way to ninja-post while I'm composing :p

Last edited by a moderator: