A.I suggestion (add realism to turrets!) and rotate core

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The suggestion stems from a primary issue i'm encountering with and that's a simple matter of an A.I can't decide if something is a gun (rotates up and down) and the turret shell (left to right with no capability to rotate up and down)

The big concern here is there is no "static rotation" block, which could act as a docking unit or, "sub core" (use another button to dock), specifically for turrets, allowing an A.I to "control" a specific section of the gun (such as the turret) and another to control the gun (cannons).

For instance: Say you have a three-gun turret. On the current design the ENTIRE gun swings and breaks into the ship causing a collossal lag spike when it tries to correct its orientation. When attatching a static rotation block however to the bottom of the turret and connect it to a turret docking unit on the ship.

This would follow up with one very big key detail... there would need to be 3 A.I on this plus the A.I in control of the turret.

STEP 1:

::::::The Turret A.I would have a "Turret Shell" choice in its control type (like how it's Turret and Ship right now.) "Rotate Z" would allow it to spin on the flat axis connected to the ship. In a NEW tab there could be parameters like degrees of rotation, shown as a green circle around the turret which would tell you what the range of turn the turret has (this way it doesn't crash into the ship's hull behind the turret for instance if you're making a battleship)

STEP 2:

Gun Control would then be in the hands of these other three A.I connected to the gun barrels and docked SIDEWAYS on the turret shell. Much like the other A.I these A.I blocks would have the option of "Gun" axis control and a degree adjuster (to stop it from colliding with the turret or doing full 360's into the turret.) This choice in the Axis control would use the "up and down" rotation of a gun, letting it lift and lower without rotating the entire turret. This would make it imperitive that these two seperate types of A.I are in sync with eachother but the abilities that this change could do would be amazing! not only that but in this type of control the chances of your turrets destroying eachother is much less likely.

Onto the more common issue... rotation of the core. This suggestion is more so because i have accidentally made sidways ships on more than one occasion and it ruins your work... especially if you worked on it for an hour and had to restart it all because the core is oriented wrong. :( My suggestion would be to have the option to rotate the core 90 DEGREES for 100k (or 1 million depending on the server) EACH ROTATION (this would stop noobs from abusing it online.

But anyways, those are my suggestions :) hope you like it!

Reaction score
    so your idea, its not bad but it has some flaws.

1: HUD, you need some not confusing way to make this, this is an awful lot and I\'d reccomend the devs work more on an advanced build mode besides just bigger block placement and symetry, but for now, no way that much could sit in a regular hud without casual gamers just getting confused and leaving.

2: programming perspective: ... if I go there we might need a 2nd page to fit what I have to say, the TL;DR version is that it is very hard to segment a turret as you prepose without things going from classic difficulty of programming to penetration by keyboard seeming more satisfying.

3: pre-existing script perspective: you are talking replacing the entire turret mechanic here, that it quite an order of magnitude I doubt would be accomplished on such a low priority subject right now.

as for your comment of core rotation, that is comming, I\'ve heard talk on that one since the time I joined and aparently well before that.

my proposition on turrets: well a better solution is an extra piece when holding alt down for adv build. it is a point of rotation, simply pick a block/point of which highlighted blocks will rotate on, you can go into the turret and see them all, and pick (for now) about 1 per axis (xyz)

The end result is much less straining, all you\'d need is one extra adv build mode button, the programming just goes down to a single block change for 3 axis (much easier than overhaul) and no complete rework, only a fine tuning, plus if you don\'t want to, you dont have to do it. (or cant) Again this is all low priority, but when the time comes, the devs will have something up their sleeve.

Turrets need change: yes

devs need keyboard killing anger: no

food for thought for you (all)