A.I Docking

Reaction score
    Hi

Now I'm not positive if someone else has come up with this idea or if dev is already going implement this, but I thought that I might stick it out there.

I know how some players in the past have trouble with A.I's and having difficulty reducing them on the main ship (or station or planet, Etc), but i thought perhaps if dev somehow managed to integrate the targeting system from the A.I so that say for example if you could hook up the A.I's from these drones to the main ship and have it so that when activated the drones would homie in on the docks that they are assigned to and automatically dock.

I know that I haven't played star made for a while and have just recently reads some (and i mean some) posts and I don't know if this idea has already been thought of, if it has tell me

thanks
    [DOUBLEPOST=1447413135,1447411530][/DOUBLEPOST]I just read up on the "docking computer" forum and they where saying something about the pathfinding algorithms, but i figured that if you lunched a A.I you wouldn't have it in the middle of your ship, and i thought you could just have it made that you can make an adjustable alignment window, because as long as the ship core can see the docking module and its close enough it can dock.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This remains a very popular request for AI drones and such.
    As for pathing, I'm not sure its strictly necessary. Just have the drones fly to within 99 meters of the dock, and activate the beam. This would instantly dock the drone without a need for pathing. Just like it's done now for regular ships. :)

Reaction score
    I don't see why dev has not implemented this yet, i know that there can be difficulties when adding knew features but i don't see why it not have been tried yet

Reaction score
    I would assume this isn't implemented because we haven't have the AI overhaul yet, and because currently the Ai only have one mode which is "HUNT AND KILL", and it has no other way to move around basically

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I had an idea on how this could be done easily, and I think this has been suggested before. It would require that area activation blocks (the invisible ones) have a secondary function as a docking "hint" block.
    1. Build the dock as normal.
    2. place an area activation block some distance away from the docking point, and use master/slave linking to slave it to the docking point.
    3. remove any intervening blocks (generally placed as a framework in order to place the area activation block some distance above the docking block).

The AI could then be easily reprogrammed to try to fly towards the "hint" block linked to its "home" docking point. When/if it reaches that block and touches it, the AI fires a docking beam directly at the docking block. It will be up to the builder to ensure that the hint block is in the right place (sufficiently far enough away from the docking block, that the AI craft can approach the dock without bumping into walls or the docking point itself, without being too far away, and not having an absurd maze around the dock, unless the purpose of the build is to witness AI ineptitude.

Also, it might be helpful to make it so that area blocks can be slaved to each other, to create a "breadcrumb trail" from an external access point (E.g. Hanger Door) through the maze of hanger tunnels to the docking point.

This type of "hint" system could be used in the future for nav point navigation, and more advanced docking instructions for players. (E.g. "Approach Docking Nav Point 090, highlighted on your navigation hud now and await further instructions until the docking bay is cleared.")

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Interaction Sets & Paths/Patrols
    Through what we’re currently calling interaction sets and paths you’ll be able to have more advanced control over the pathing of NPCs, how they move between quarters. Have a complex door they need to get through? Easily set it up so your crew know what to do. Set up security patrols around your ship to have NPCs guard against boarders.
    This seems relevant. If not, it should be.