A Galaxy Burning: A Starmade Fiction (Chapter #12)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    In regards to you wondering who our favourite characters are... That would be an incredibly difficult choice.

But I\'ve always liked A) The big, badass dude that is nearly invincible, and B) The main character (Unless the main character is a terrible one, obviously).

So in this case, it would have to be Jackson and Andrew, for me anyways.

Looks like we have some action coming up :P

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The man sounds oddly like a certain lieutenant I know IRL.

On a side note, a random idea popped into my head about two weeks ago. An animated series with a plotline quite similar to this. The one issue is, I\'m no animator. Or voice actor, for that matter.

Reaction score
    I started writing because I couldn\'t do any of the above. But by damn can I spin a good thread.

Maybe you could try writing? It\'s definitely a talent, but I encourage everyone to try stuff. It\'s how I discovered this fantastic way to make up for my depressingly lackluster visual art skills! YAY!

On another note, I have Chapter Four written, but I\'m just reading it over. When you write after 1:00 am, you\'re always like is this actually good or am I just really stupid tired.

So I\'ll probably release it early tomorrow morning. Night yall.

EDIT: I lied apparently. A bro or two read my stuff and said they like it so I thought you know what I\'m posting it.

Reaction score
    Are you kidding?

If Schema came up to me like \"Hey I\'d like you to let me use your writing in the advertisement for StarMade\" I would sign that faster than, I don\'t know, something that goes really f***ing fast.

Reaction score
    Authors Note: Who wants to know a secret to my writing? You? Well okay then! Music. Some people say that music can cause the writer to faulter. Well I beg to differ. The trick is to listen to instrumental or electronic music with little to no vocals. Vocals trigger direct logical responses within that brain of yours, distracting you, while insrumental and electronic sounds trigger more primal emotions.

What I\'m really trying to say? I\'m either listening to super deep orchestra or mad filthy dubstep whenever I\'m writing.

CHAPTER FOUR: Wall of White

\"You know what I really hate, sir?\" Jacksons said over the intercom.

\"What could you possibly hate?\" Maria sneered back.

\" ice planets. These bitch\'s are cold as balls.\"

\"Balls aren\'t actually cold.\" Maria responded.

\'Oh my god what is she doing.\' I thought in my head. Obviously Maria still didn\'t quite understand just how her infallible level of intelligence simply smacks into Jackson\'s skull like a wet noodle.

\"You would know that, wouldn\'t you, princess?\" Jackson said back, not having any of Maria\'s \'logical\' demeanor today.

\"Alright you too, shut up. Seriously. I can\'t keep focused on Jeremiah\'s directions with you too going back and forth so much.\"

\"She started it.\" Jackson said, but thankfully, Maria wasn\'t so stupid as too continue on the argument. Jackson, on the other hand, had no qualms whatsoever with starting up arguments. Because arguments leads to anger. And anger leads to fights. And sweet lord did Jackson like fights.

We tredged through the roaring blizzard. This planet was easily colder than anywhere I had been before. Even with our environmentally sealed suits, and the heating systems on absolute maximum, I could still feel the bitter cold in my joints and hands, where the armor was thinnest. Thankfully yet again for Jeremiah, our visors has plenty of antifrost measures, and my vision stayed free. Then again, it was only free for about three feet, from that point everything was just an impenetrable wall of white. I was guided by the hand of the ISS Washington and those aboard it.

\"So what exactly are we looking for, Maria?\" I asked.

\"Well, now that you ask- this.\" She responded. On the bottom left edge of my visor, a nice simulated and rotating visual of a crashed ship. The colors slowly loaded across the ship. I was intrigued, it was a unique color scheme.

\"Looks like a crashed research vehicle.\" I said.

\"Doesn\'t look like nothin\' important to me\" Jackson said, in his heavy accent.

\"Well wait until you see this.\" Maria said. The visual instantly zoomed in and contorted onto the underside of the left wing. \"This was in the simulated blueprints they gave me.\"

My heart skipped a beat. In easily recognizable, white letters was written \'Vaygyr Evolutionary Virus Containment\'.

\"This aint good.\" Jackson said. And he was right. EV containment was extremely serious business in the universe. An Evolutionary Virus was a dangerous plague in the universe, probably one of the worst tradegies ever to befall mankind, and all sub-human species.

A Vaygr-DFN co-op expedition into the Galactic Core, an extremely rare act committed many tens of thousands of years ago, when both factions were fledging nations formed in the Sol system (where Earth is), decided that while they were expanding out, maybe the should go check out the reality-defying galactic core. Because, yeah. Science and stuff.

Anyways, something mean followed them. Having been dormant for a really long time, and contained by the violent nature of the Galactic Core, was a nigh-perfectly evolved set of primal creatures all created from a single, necrotic virus that infected dead bodies. And, surprise, it turns out literally driving an automated craft that would ensure return from the Galactic Core without much preparation right to the EV\'s doorstep was a pretty bad idea. Luckily, it never made it back to earth, instead crashing on a distant planet only to be discovered a few thousands years later. Unluckily, it picked up one of the most violent and deadly incarnations of chaos and destruction ever seen: a hive-like virus that constantly reconstructed dead and dying creatures into-

\"Everyone, turn your infrared on now.\" Maria yelled. Natural instinct and a keen Tartaran eye let her see what we didn\'t. We flipped on infrared vision, and turned to see Maria pointing into the distance. We followed her gaze.

A swarm of fifteen or so screaming creatures popped immediately onto my visor. The Virus had apparently escaped, and taken over the bodies of the crew of the craft as they no doubt were picked off by the snow and bitter cold and used their biomass to formed pre-evolved creatures following sets of genetically-contained \'blueprints\'. Now, however, they resembled anything but human. Four massive, slithering constructs, with a large empty mouth-belly and dozens of huge, raking bone-scythes cutting through the blizzard as they came towards us.

\"Gluttons!\" I shouted, shouldering my rifle. \"Jackson! op-\"

*CHANK-CHANK-CHANK-CHANK-CHANK-CHANK* Roared Jackson\'s 20mm autocannon, it\'s massive shells falling into the snow and clinking as they tumbled ontop of eachother. Maria and I followed suit, unleashing storms of 10mm accellerated rounds, finishing off what Jackson\'s explosive ordinance failed to gib. Luckily for us, devourers were not actually evolved for combat (which is frankly terrifying in it\'s own right) but to collect more biomass in order to further evolve.

\"Jackson, cease fire.\" I ordered.

*CHANK-CHANK-CHANK-CHANK-CHANK*

\"Jackson!\"

...............*CHANK*

\"JACKSON!\" I roared.

\"Sorry sir. But you just never know with EV\'s.\" In all honesty, he was probably right. I had never fought an EV before, but Jackson sure had. And given their habit at not dying, I cant really blame him. But we do have ammo reserves to worry about.

We cautiously appraoched the pile of bodies. One or two remained fairly intact, having fallen from our much more piercing 10mm rounds. Maria and I bent over the body, and I poked it with my rifle.

\"You getting this, Jeremiah?\"

\"The gluttons, sir?\"

\"Yeah, these things.\"

There was a loud explosion behind us. We quickly looked over our shoulder and saw Jackson standing over a Gluttons body, holding a smoking grenade revolver pistol over the now even more gibbed body.

\"It squirmed a little.\" He said. We returned to looking at the body in front of us.

\"Anything you can tell me?\" I asked.

\"Well, from what I can see, you got lucky, Captain. The necrocells of the EV gluttons were suffering frostbite. Again.\"

\"Again?\" Maria asked.

\"Yes. The biomass the EV took to evolve was likely damage. Those Gluttons are... excuse me, \'Imperfect\', if you will.\"

\"Lucky for us then, I guess.\" I said. \"And more lucky. It looks like the blizzard is letting up.\"

We returned our attention to the wrecked craft, now in view. Jackson stood outside, taking guard, as Maria and I entered the craft. After some exploration, we discovered the EV containment tanks, holding the vile green liquid that held the most basic form of EV. I looked to my right, and sure enough, there was a little red lever. It was standard-installation on any craft designed to carry volotile bio-weapons or other dangerous, biological entities. I looked at Maria. She nodded. I pulled the lever, and instantly flames erupted into the cracked tanks. The bile-like substance, much to my dismay, writhed and emit a faint screeching sound, reminding me that it was very much alive. I could have sworn I saw a little of bit coming at me before errupting into flames. It was all rather disturbing. I knew eventually, somewhere I was going to fight an EV. But it was still such a shock, and a disturbing one, that I doubt it will leave my head for a long, long time.

\"Maria, this was definitely not a snatch and grab.\" I said. No response. \"Maria?\"

\"Sorry. Cockpit\" She said.

I turned and walked to the cockpit. I found Maria yanking out a piece of equipment from the pilots dash. She examined it in her hand. \"Still a snatch and grab.\"

\"What is it?\"

\"Information, I would assume.\" She hooked it to a piece of rigging on her armor. \"And no, I have no idea whats on it. But it\'s what we\'re getting paid to get.\"

\"I don\'t like this, Maria.\"

\"Neither do I. But we need the credits.\"

\"That we do. Jeremiah?\"

\"Yes, Andrew?\"

\"Tell the shuttle to come pick us up.\"

\"Already heading down, captain.\"

I smiled to myself. Even in this absolutely wretched environment, where everything that went wrong could, Jeremiah still managed to remain on the top of his game.

We stood outside and waited for the shuttle.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Dun DUN DUUUN!

Dead Space mosters anyone? :P

Nice work Nature, the story is getting better each chapter, keep it up!

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    How you incorporated mobs into the story = +1. Reminded me of Dead Space.

Reaction score
    DIs is going to hollywood.

GO work with the guy who made the machinima AND MAKE THIS A SERIES ON youtube! Work with ppl form staramde like gaming with saber!

+ I want to watch that so badly.

Reaction score
    I took a bunch of zerg, tyranids, and necromorphs, put \'em in a room, AND SHOVED \'EM TOGHETER.

BLARLRARGAGRRLARLR

Reaction score
    I\'m going to propose a +1 and -1 button to Schema on the nifty suggestions thread. Like seriously. People do that +1 thing so much it actually needs to be real.

And yes, I was inspired by Dead Space. Also Tyranids. And Zerg a little bit. But Zerg are Tyranid rip offs XD

Reaction score
    I would LOVE to make this a Machinima. But I believe we will have to wait for a lot of updates. For one, I would need A LOT of basic people, so AI people would be handy. Also, more weapons. More blocks. More colors.

Not to mention FTL in SOME form.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I like the introduction of Flood/The Thing/hopefully xenomorphs mobs to the story! I\'m excited to see where this goes!

Also, I\'ve spoken with BeefBacon. He seems interested in doing a visual adaptation to this, even if it is only key parts from the story. You need to get in contact!

Keep up the awesome work!

Reaction score
    YOU WANT MORE, YOU SAY!

WELL I MADE A PROMISE OF A CHAPTER A DAY!

AND I PLAN TO KEEP IT, BY DAMN!

SO CALM YOURSELF, MY TROLLER-BOB-MAN!

(I came up with that on the spot and I\'m rather proud of myself)

Reaction score
    Authors Note: I complerely forgot to mention something about Maria I thought I had explained a while back. She has short red hair. Because she\'s a bombshell, and seriously, who wouldn\'t want a redheaded politician on their crew. Redheaded girls always get their way. Everyone knows that.

Chapter Five: Back to the Ship!

The shuttle roared down to the ground, spewing snow everywhere with it\'s flaming engines. It touched down, and the bay doors opened up. We all clambered into it. Jackson first, of course. It was always a hassle to try and get him squeezed just right in the shuttles.

This time, Maria and I opted out of just holding the stable bars up top, instead clicking these fancy little buttons on the wall. Two of eight seats rose from the ground, having been left undeployed in the option of giving more space. But I was tired. And Maria, I assumed, was too. We both took our seats, backs to Jackson, and facing the shuttle door. I looked to my right. I saw Maria curled over, holding her knees. Her faceplate had been retracted. But her Tartaran face kept anything rolling around in her head private and contained. Deriving information from a Tartaran\'s facial expression was hard as the dickens, if they didn\'t want it to be known.

\"Everything alright?\" I asked, my voice still riding over the comms system.

She nodded. \"Of course, Andrew. Tired. And I just don\'t like EV\'s.\"

\"No-one does.\" Jackson grumbled, munching on his cigar. \"I\'ve lost a lot of good men to EV\'s.\"

\"What does the DFN do if a planet starts getting infected with the EV?\" I asked.

\"Matters.\" Jackson responded, \"We talkin\' a civilized planet, or dinky ass border worlds?\"

\"Civilian planet.\" I asked.

\"I was involved in one of those operations. Block off the major cities. Use fire. Lots of fire. Till the constructs come out.\"

Constructs, I thought to myself. Constructs were nothing less than biological tanks. \"Then what do you do?\"

\"Send in the tanks. Lots and lots of tanks. More than you can imagine.\"

\"And if that doesn\'t work?\"

\"Nuke it from orbit \'til their ain\'t a breathin\' thing left surfaceside.\"

Maria looked up in surprise. Even after two months, she hadn\'t gotten used to the rawness of this particular DFMC Sergeant. She was used to Tartaran space: So heavily (and flawlessly) defended it was virtually free of any external issues. EV\'s, nuclear holocausts, revolutions and revolts, the whole nine yards. Tartaran\'s had solved all those issues within their own structure a long time ago. She was thirty-one years old, six years older than me (but that was a young adult to a Tartaran, who had average life spans of nearly two hundred years). But in all those years, only in the past two had she left Tartaran territory to become a Tartaran Ambassador. And as Jackson had put it, \"Welcome to real life, Princess.\". Even still, she handled it surprisingly well.

\"What about border worlds?\"

\"If it don\'t have resources, we get as many civilian off world and then go straight to the nukes.\"

Maria looked flabbergasted. \"That\'s... horrid! The Tartaran Empire would never do that!\"

Jackson tossed her a look that would have made any less-stubborn and iron-willed person royally crap themselves. Luckily, Maria was anything but that. \"That\'s because they don\'t have too, Princess. The Tartaran keep to themselves, they don\'t have problems.\" His tone on that last word was rather nasty. \"Lifes great if you\'re a Tartaran in Tartaran space, but for the rest of us? Life aint sugar and cupcakes. The DFN ain\'t perfect, but by damn they do their best. For everyone.\"

Jackson had always harbored a special kind of hatred towards Tartarans. Jeremiah and Maria always got along, their respective nations both having similar goals, and both being sub-humans, albeit the Tartaran\'s were philosophical and invested in beauty and perfection and the Lazarus were technological and known to strip planets of resources in mere months. The DFMC (not the DFN, as a whole), however, despised the Tartaran Empire: Being deployed across thousands of the most ravenous, dangerous planets in a non-stop war against the Vagyr, EV\'s, pirates and mercenaries gave them a special kind of cultural hatred towards the Tartaran, who they believed \'should come out of their territory and get a taste of real life\'.

I remember telling Jackson a while back that life in Tartaran space was so fantastic just because they defended it so well. He laughed, \'Well that\'s fan--tastic, but I\'ve spent my last twenty years protecting except my self.\" He then proceeded to down his shot of whiskey and storm out of the Cantina. I, however, have grown to greatly respect the Tartaran Empire. Having focused on beauty and perfection for thousands of years since their departure from Earth to the planet Tartarus, they have become the absolute pinnacle of human evolution. Immune to nearly every disease, universally tall and beautiful, and are able to read a persons emotions and goals through the tiniest of physiological alterations and variables. They also have one of the most stable (albeit exclusive to Tartarans) and the most well defended government in the galaxy. But that didn\'t really matter to Jackson.

Anyways, back on the Shuttle, we were now nearing the ISS Washington. Once you leave atmosphere, everything grows deathly silent, the only sound coming from the whine of the engines reverbrating through the metal of the craft. Once we entered the ISS Washington\'s lower hangar, however, the world roared back to life. Shouting over the intercom to the squad waiting for us, the hiss of decontamination gear ready to hose us down. I smiled. It was good to be back on ship.

The shuttle bay doors opened. A squad of shock-troopers stood ready with a hefty amount of decontamination equipment. A machine that resembled a demented old-earth car wash, a set of massive portable showers, something that spewed out a thick spray of some kind of sour-smelling gas, and some of the most devilish power washers you have ever seen.

The troopers with power washer commited themselves to cleaning out Jacksons now-empty power armor, having opened itself up so he could (grudgingly) go into the shower to get hosed down. Maria dissappeared into her shower, and I into mine. I stripped out of my armor, and handed it the shock-trooper waiting for me at the open end of the shower (the lack of privacy wasn\'t much of a big deal, since EV contamination was such a massive risk), and I heard the big washer roar to life as they fed our armor through it. The showers kicked on, and I squeeled a bit when the cold water hit my back. I heard a laugh from Jackson.

\"Captain doesn\'t like cold showers, huh?\" He mocked. Maria stayed silent,but I couldn\'t help but imagine she was smiling. I can have a massive, shielded ship able to pump out shells the size of people, but I can\'t expect hot water in my de-con showers. I love technology. I thought to myself. I took the soap the shock trooper handed me, nodded in thanks, and scrubbed every inch I could.

Half an hour later, Maria and I were sitting in the Cantina, wearing our standard uniforms yet again. We were discussing what had happened, talking about the EV\'s.

\"My question is what a containment craft was even doing in atmosphere there.\"

Maria sighed. \"Chances are there\'s something around here that we shouldn\'t know about. But probably will anyways.\"

\"If someone is hiding something, how do you expect to find out?\"

\"Gave the little piece of computer I ripped from the craft to Jeremiah. He\'s going to tear that thing inside out for information.\"

\"What about our contract? Don\'t they want it?\"

Maria laughed. \"Oh cmon, Andrew. You know he\'ll put it back together. I said Jeremiah, not Jackson. How long has it been since you slept?\"

\"I, uh, well. Hmmm.\"

\"Too long, obviously. I\'ll make sure Jeremiah doesn\'t get too distracted. You go get some sleep. We should be back at Zanzibar by the time you wake up.\"

I nodded. She was right; I needed sleep more than anything right now. I got up, taking my glass of bourbon with me, and headed over to the elevator.

\"What floor?\" It asked me.

\"Captains quarters.\" I responded.

The elevator shot upwards, above the bridge, and stopped. It opened to reveal a big, expansive room. A fishtank rested in the wall to my left, and my office tables to my right. However, most importantly, was the massive bed that beckoned me to pass out. And who was I to deny it\'s siren song? I placed my half finished bourbon on the table at the foot of the bed, and promptly fell asleep on my glorious, fluffy little island of paradise. Sleep took over me in moments.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Another great chapter, abeit boring to some. Your description of TE pleases me, by the way.