A formalized weapon system: Based on the SoTS Universe

Reaction score
    Anyone here played SoTS?

I find the weapon system here lacks a level of integration and proper balance, but that is just fair for an alpha game stage. I would recommend that you look upon the weapon tech trees on the game of Sword of the Stars.

It offers complexity and a good level of deepness to combat. We can adjust it, though. One thing I wouldn't like to see in the game is "tiering" the weapons. On that basis, having different cannons, like "plasma" or "antimatter" would have different properties, such a travel speed, maybe even shield multiplication modifiers, hull modifiers, you name it. SO making a weapon structure were weapons have sidetrades, instead of just forcing everyone to a high tier weapon. For example, havin kinetic style weapons be much better impact at eating hulls, while energy based weapons, such as the already implemente Antimatter cannon, have a higher impact on shield rather than on hull. Beams weapons could tear equally through both, with the added mechanic they need a smaller range, etc. Here are just suggestions on how to develop the weapons system, which is going to be a core mechanic in the game.

One last thing is, that modifiers for weapons should be Big enough to be attractive. 10 - 30% changes are too small, IMO, for an appealing factor to include certain weapons on a ship. If you add big enough factors for damage, say, x2.5 hull damage on missiles, with a x.50 damage to shield for X missile weapon, would make a player think of using missiles after he has teared through a shield, for which he has used another weapon, say, antimatter cannons that have a x1.5 modifiers to shields, and a x.80 modifier to hulls. Factoring in, of course, rate of fire, maximun range, and travel speed. If anyone would like even more complexity, shields could be "modified" against certain weapon damage types. I am willing to do the full structure for the weapons system, with feedback from everyone, with numbers that make sense. The weapons I would include include 3 damage types: explosive, energy, and kinetic damage, with all the variantes you can imagine, if not already on the game structure of SoTS. From Torpedoes, and medium warhead missiles (with different warhead types) or dumb fire ones (already in game), to plasma, or fusion energy weapons. Since missiles are already in game, Projectile weapons in a kinectic damage system shouldn't be a hard job. Nad it won't end there. Any weapon you guys like, would be thought and implemented to see if it can work. As I said, I want weapon side trades, to prevent weapon boating (not that is not a valid tactic, but everyone boating antimatter cannons/turrets wont be fun after a while), giving variety to the game.

I suppose this would gain later implementation, but I am willing to give my time to this game.I like all of the concept, and I have worked on other mods on the weapons system, namely for the alleged Sword of the stars game.

Best regards, and keep up the amazing work,

Admiral Piett.