A few suggestions: Rail Drydocks, Auto-linking wireless logic

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Rail Dry-docks

My first suggestion, one that I believe is built off an earlier suggestion from December (Can't remember where), is to be able to use rails to build ships. The core of it would be thus:

1) Being able to display some sort of a ship 'frame' or outline
    2) A weapon or tool system that would place blocks in a ship outline by clicking on it
    3) The possibility of linking storage between docked entities.
    4) Possibly a kind of "Joint" or "Hardpoint" that would temporarily dock an entity until it's done being built. (May be able to slide things off onto rails as long as the joint lines up with a rail dock (Would pretty much be only applicable to fighters and turrets as it would be too bulky to handle on the larger ships.)

You first place an outline on a station or a ship.

The outline would be attached temporarily to a "Joint" that would act similarly to the original dock's based on the position of the core. The core would be centered above or to the side of the joint based on ship orientation. If the ship blueprint had a rail docker mounted to the outside the joint would dock to that instead, and allow for sliding off of it afterwards.

Once a ship outline is placed onto a joint the ship could then be built by other ships by use of the ship builder weapon/tool system. The ship builder would start at the opposite side of the outline and build towards itself like a 3D printer. The builder would take items out of the ship's/player's (If the player is in the ship) inventory and begin to fill in the outline.

Here's where the rails and inventory linking comes in: The inventory linking is necessary so that entities docked to rails could take items from a larger ship, slide along their rail, and automatically build ships with their building/printing tool system.

My idea behind this system was so the player could have a way of printing and launching fighters from a mother-ship during combat. The size and nature of the system would put a limit on how quickly fighters could be produced. Further restrictions could be applied based on mass of the outline VS the mass of the attached ship, further preventing players from printing ships the size of the ship they're in in the middle of nowhere. The chunk loading system would prevent players from 24/7 printing ships and clogging up sectors, and perhaps the weapon could have some sort of print cap per mothership/station per day.

I'm by no means suggesting the old system of buying ships from shops be abandoned, i'm simply suggesting an interesting, and self-balancing way of building ships.

Auto-linking Wireless Logic

My second suggestion is a much simpler one. A System of Auto-linking either wireless, or a separate block similar to the wireless blocks via sliding them directly past one another by rail (One entity would be docked to the rail and sliding, the other would be the mothership entity the docked one is attached to). This would allow for interesting auto-docking mechanisms for turrets.

I am well aware that the rail system is not completed and released yet, however to my current knowledge there are no systems similar to these planned.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    1.)i have no idea what do you mean
    2.)still no idea
    3.)this had been suggested
    4.)you can just use one rail block to get this on planet, i assume you want this on planet with gravity, right?

i really dun understand what do you mean with outline

5.)Auto-linking Wireless Logic will mess up with huge and complex ship

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Let's wait until they even announce that the shipyard update is being worked on, yeah?
    Nope. Suggestions before they actually begin work on it have just as much merit as those that do, some suggestions are actually better off being suggested before, because they would affect the core of how something would work, which means it needs to be thought about before the feature is started.

Also, wrong image. Shipyards are 'Confirmed', the rest of this is based on newly added features (wireless logic), thus don't really have a sticker to post to it yet. It's a movement away from vague possibilities to more exact knowledge of how things will probably work afterall.

Reactions: petlahk
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1.)i have no idea what do you mean
    2.)still no idea
    3.)this had been suggested
    4.)you can just use one rail block to get this on planet, i assume you want this on planet with gravity, right?

i really dun understand what do you mean with outline

5.)Auto-linking Wireless Logic will mess up with huge and complex ship
    I didn't really mean Auto-linking it within the same ship, what I meant was a way to link the blocks between two docked entities without having to manually leave one and then link them by hand. When two modules pass each other on two different ships they'd be linked.

Reaction score
    I didn't really mean Auto-linking it within the same ship, what I meant was a way to link the blocks between two docked entities without having to manually leave one and then link them by hand. When two modules pass each other on two different ships they'd be linked.
    "When two modules pass each other on two different ships they'd be linked"
    sounds good, BUT which is C and which is V ?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Both <-> Both
    they are a single button with delayed throughput.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You have a point there... Perhaps 'C' could be defaulted as the carrier entity, and 'V' as the railed one.

Reaction score
    Both <-> Both
    they are a single button with delayed throughput.
    sadly it can't be both, doing two way wireless logic will cause null pointer. so we can only have 1 way and 1-to-1 wireless logic

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    sadly it can't be both, doing two way wireless logic will cause null pointer. so we can only have 1 way and 1-to-1 wireless logic
    It worked just fine when I tried it just now :P

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ok, then it make sense now, but i remember lancake told me that bug won't be fix......
    Remote is meta-data. Shouldn't be that hard to toggle in->out and out<-in as separate meta-data 2in1 :)