A few simple aiming HUD improvements

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I just wanted to suggest a few little behavior changes and improvements for the game's aiming system/HUD for dumb-fire and projectile weapons.
    I haven't found anything that mentioned those things in particular, but I'm guessing someone must have said it once already.. So I'll keep this brief and just second whoever posted that in the past.
    • "Gyro Gun Sights":
    Basically, I'd like to suggest adding an indicator on the HUD that indicates where to shoot with the cursor to hit the target, at its current pace and attitude, or at least make it an option for people that want it, so those that don't can turn it off. Its used in real life on fighter planes, and its also used in space sims such as X3, and it makes it that much less frustrating to dogfight in space.

My point is that, unlike in an aircraft vs aircraft game situation, where leading your shots is relatively easy, space ships can move erratically in all 3 dimensions. Add to this the fact that there are rarely any reliable frame of reference in space for your brain to determine what way you're going, what way your target is going, what is the speed difference between both, and what speed the projectile is actually going at. This means that in order to hit your target, you have to take a shot, then correct, until you hit the target, or until your target changes direction/pace, and you have to redo this again. And it gets even more complicated when the projectile's base velocity is the velocity of the ship, as enabled on certain servers. Because you'll need some time to get accustomed to it.

This trial and error method not very practical for those opting for dumb-fire missiles, or slow-firing canons. And even those using rapid fire canons might find themselves missing a lot of shots, and precious DPS. And it gives all those weapons a disadvantage right from the start in comparison to homing missiles, or beam weapons.

Plus in the event the weapons are remade, this would still be a relevant and recyclable feature.
    • Bullet Crossing Distance:
    When you install guns on each sides of your ship, the projectile will never cross, they'll go in a straight line. Unless you use the focused fire button. But the thing is, focused fire only makes projectiles cross at the right distance when you have a target under your reticule/cursor. This works fine for beam weapons as the travel time is instantaneous.

But the issue is, with canons and dumb-fire missiles, you have to lead your target, and so, the target is rarely under your reticule/cursor.
    This means that, the projectiles do not cross at the right distance, firing around the target depending on its distance and its size, and you can only hit the enemy ship with significantly less firepower, than if all your guns could fire at it.

My suggestion for this would be to either:
    1. Compute bullet crossing for the problematic weapon systems based on the current target's distance.
    2. Have a variable bullet crossing distance that can be adjusted in increments during combat by the player using a key.
    This would hopefully help projectile weapons arrays a bit more.​
    • Reticle Behavior on Chunk Change:
    This one is also quite problematic when dogfighting.
    Each times you pass the boundaries of a chunk in space, your cursor is reset to the center of the screen. This might not seem like a problem, but its enough to make you miss a few shots until you drag your mouse back in the middle of the mouse pad, and it also put a stop to any turning maneuver you were in the process of.
    Which is extremely annoying to say the least, when you're fighting on the edge of a chunk and go through this several times over the span of only a few seconds. Its enough to make you lose a target momentarily.

Also, I don't know if joysticks or controllers suffer the same issue, but I doubt it, given they do not use the cursor to steer around and shoot. Which would mean, this could potentially give a temporary and exploitable advantage to an opponent flying with a joystick/controller over a mouse + keyboard.​

Suggestions are welcome !

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Honestly, the aiming issues are why I don't even bother with beams or cannons on anything but turrets controlled by the AI. They are just not practical to use.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Which would mean, this could potentially give a temporary and exploitable advantage to an opponent flying with a joystick/controller over a mouse + keyboard.
    Joysticks are unusable because you can't aim precisely enough. Unless you have a really expensive joystick and a lot of skill, a mouse is superior. This needs to change. The current control scheme is awkward and will likely be altered between now and beta.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I wish I could use something like a joystick. Mouse turning is TERRIBLE!

I mean, seriously, having to constantly rake the mouse to the side is unbearable with extra large ships. I'd be happy if we just had some hotkeys I could hold down to turn with (as opposed to strafing) so that I could stop giving myself repetitive stress injuries whipping the mouse around so much.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wish I could use something like a joystick. Mouse turning is TERRIBLE!

I mean, seriously, having to constantly rake the mouse to the side is unbearable with extra large ships. I'd be happy if we just had some hotkeys I could hold down to turn with (as opposed to strafing) so that I could stop giving myself repetitive stress injuries whipping the mouse around so much.
    Agreed. It might be more space-y to introduce a special "navigation" hud (not to be confused with the navigation tab) that allows you to click on buttons at the edge of the screen to turn the ship. Maybe a button or two in the middle of the screen labeled "turn towards navigation target/navpoint". This would be more in keeping with most Sci-Fi media, where you see or read how pilots type in coordinates, press control buttons, or otherwise simply hold something down. How many times have we read about a pilot raking his finger across the control panel over and over like a hamster wheel to turn a multi-megaton ship? I can count the number of times I've read or seen such a thing on zero hands.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Personally, I have a joystick but it doesn't work ever since I got my new mouse... It's plugged in but Starmade doesn't register it for some reason.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have set the mouse sensitivity to the max value in configs and it still isn't enough for some ships.

But a core or an astronaut will flip 180° and make every recorded video awful to watch.

Would you turn your head around at >10g IRL?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, there's a pretty much rugged way to do capital ship steering, and ship steering in general. I know I might insist a little too much on X3, but the mouse turning for ships works pretty well in that game.

You don't have to keep moving your mouse to turn capitals, you can just toggle between mouse follow mode and click+hold to turn mode, with the spacebar, and do just that instead of constantly moving your mouse to keep the ship turning. Its mainly used to click on the sidebar and menus, but it works great for that as well.
    And, you can also move your mouse around while in the click+hold mode. And you can adjust the turning speed by moving further or closer from/to the middle of the screen. And having the mouse in the dead center just stops the turning entirely.

Just take a look at a lets play for X3:Albion Prelude, or X3:Terran Conflict and if they're not using a controller you'll see the system in action. Its pretty much my best game experience flying capitals really XD

Reactions: Corporal Tunnel

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That would work. Anything is better than what we've got now once you get to larger ships.

Reaction score
    I totally agree. I was just testing out a cannon dogfighter and could not hit a thing because of the erratic movement of the enemy ships and the fact that they always fly out to around 1200m and orbit.

Reaction score
    Joysticks are unusable because you can't aim precisely enough. Unless you have a really expensive joystick and a lot of skill, a mouse is superior. This needs to change. The current control scheme is awkward and will likely be altered between now and beta.
    as much as I'd like to see it change, I really doubt it will, what would be necessary for a change like that to occur is going to make a bunch of people's prized warships useless. that is mostly because it would make design/layout important, rather than just aesthetics and weapon/system size+selection.

the current type of aiming system "works" because there is no actual thrust simulation, you can move and stop without much trouble thruster placement isn't important, and you can fly around in asymmetric-craft without much fuss/hassle.
    a 3-axis controller is useful when you're flying something that could spin out of control.