A Few Ideas Related to the Universe

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    NOTE: I'm just putting these out as ideas. I do not want to work Schema to death!

Rogue Planets:
    Lifeless worlds far from any stars, possibly drifting in between galaxies. More minerals than your average dodecahedron.

Pulsars:
    Stars that shoot out streams of ... stuff from their north and south poles. Possibly a hazard, possibly an opportunity to find interesting resources/ships.

Brown Dwarfs:
    Failed stars, plain and simple. Might have planetary systems, might not.

Neutron Stars:
    Tiny but massive stars that bend spacetime near their surfaces. Perhaps they could be used as wormholes for smaller ships?

Binary, Trinary, Quadruple Systems?
    Why not? (Yes I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason why not.) Oh, and please have multiple colors IF these are implemented.

Nebulae:
    These have been suggested many times before, but still a good suggestion. Perhaps only scanners will work in them?

Gas Giants WITH Moons:
    Something that could really be great, after all, imagine a blue quadruple system with a gas giant and a few r50 planets (the moons) orbiting it. *My computer shudders with fear while imagining it*

Planets with Moons:
    Just the moons idea again.

Rings!
    Perhaps half of the gas giants could have rings of some sort? Certainly would look nice if done correctly.

Comets:
    Imagine r50 or less ice planets on elliptical orbits ... sounds like a comet to me!

Algol Binaries:
    Okay, look it up on Google Images, and understand the awesomeness involved with these stars. Literally one star eating the other one.

Variable Sized Stars:
    Right now we have two sizes: Main Sequence and Giant. Imagine a universe where stars (non-neutron) were in the region between Main Sequence and Giant, and each one was a different size.

So that's about it, please leave responses telling me why these won't work if they won't, and thanks for reading all of this text.

Reaction score
    I'd like to see this from the devs perspective, what is feasible, and sensible, for planet sizes.

And as an aside, if you have enough shields is it possible to build a station in close proximity to a star, or low orbit around a gas giant?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think a lot of this stuff is in the works.

Computers might have a unique ability to make rings look nice at all ranges. If we don't mind if rings are visual only, and don't really affect the universe in any way, they could be rendered entirely client-side, to allow greater detail, especially up close. I'm envisioning a randomized particle cloud of mixed ice and rock cubes to coincide with the game's grid-based visual paradigm.

The funnest potential thing about planetary rings is the possibility of visual interaction as you pass through. Effectively, rocks bouncing harmlessly off the shield or hull. Slightly more visceral than "space dust".

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Indeed we do, but as far as I know they are only white, and only binary. Whereas the Castor system has six individual multicolored stars.
    I can give some feedback on this. A lot of these are ones that I personally put fourth to the others in hopes that we would see these happen. Additionally Schema has given some word on the future of planets although it isn't much at this point.

Rogue planets are doable, and may even happen. There is no reason why void space couldn't be a little less empty. (That is after we empty the heck out of it. It is too full atm.)

Pulsars - Proposed

Nebula, neutron stars, binary stars, magnetars, comets and variable stars - Also already proposed.

Planets are supposed to be getting bigger. Schema says there are options he can try out that may double their size. That may not be enough for people but eventually we will hit our limits. With that also comes a change in the scale of the universe and how the universe is structured. We are looking at adding more variety and randomness. We do not know how much of a change we will be making just yet. Or maybe we do. Idk. I really don't need to know these things as an asset designer.

Rings are cool. Will probably happen. It may have to be simplified to a shader or something.

Gas giants are on the to-do list as far as I understand. I would consider them planned We want there to be some interaction with them so until they have a purpose in the game we may not see them.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Indeed we do, but as far as I know they are only white, and only binary. Whereas the Castor system has six individual multicolored stars.
    I've seen multicoloured binary systems.

But having triple or more star systems would be pretty cool. :)

Reactions: PizzaPress

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    O.O i need to find one of these....
    Just turn on the universe map and look around your galaxy, you should be able to find them. There are also giant stars and smaller, fainter ones.

Reaction score
    Just turn on the universe map and look around your galaxy, you should be able to find them. There are also giant stars and smaller, fainter ones.
    Ive noticed the giant ones, just never 2 in one system. Looks like I will be doing some exploring tonight.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In space-engine, it is told that trinary systems only work with either equal masses or the 3rd being far enough away so that the other 2 count almost as 1 mass.

How does 6 work?

Reaction score
    In space-engine, it is told that trinary systems only work with either equal masses or the 3rd being far enough away so that the other 2 count almost as 1 mass.

How does 6 work?

Well, as long as they don't have too similar masses, they could work like the Pluto system, which has a binary (Pluto/Charon) and the four lesser moons, which orbit the Pluto/Charon barycenter.
    I'll just leave this here...
    http://www.space.com/21940-castor-star.html

and wikipedia but yeh..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_(star)

EDIT:
    and lovely youtube xD

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Reaction score
    So basically it is a twin-twin-twin system. ( A+B . + . C+D . . . . + . . . . E+F ) where objects are so far away from each other and the twin-pairs that close that the mass of a twin-pair is seen as 1 single mass from the other entities.
    Yessssss! ain't the universe just so cool ;p something that looks like a single star is actually 6! all unique! gotta love the physics behind it all ;p

Reactions: Valck