A discussion on the subject of class conventions

NullForceOmega

The Ancient
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Good day StarMade captains, this thread is expressedly for a discussion of classification conventions, it is not a classification method itself.

I have observed a number of individuals questioning the purpose of mass-based class methods, most of these persons have forwarded a role based system as a counterpoint, my 2 cents is as follows:

Mass is a determining factor in role, you will never, no matter how hard you try, have a mass 400 battleship, and are very unlikely to have a mass 3000 corvette (this is dependant upon your server's average mass though). There have been several attempts at a unified class systems across all servers, but they are not adequate for various reasons. I have seen ships of 20000 mass classified as cruisers, and ships of 1500 mass classified as battleships. But in the end the basic fact is that once you reach a certain threshold of mass (or dimension) you cannot continue to call something x and must call it y. What is the difference between a frigate and a destroyer? Mass. The difference between a cruiser and a battleship? Mass. What about the difference between a freighter and a super-freighter? Mass. Role is dependant on mass, mass is dependant on role. Until someone creates a system able to account for both (and server averages) we will not have a unified method.

Your opinions?

Reaction score
    Considering that (almost) no one builds ships out of dirt, Mass is a good way to gauge the amount of shields, power, and firepower a ship will have roughly. Also I am talking about ships that get out of the optimal power generation band (over 2-3mil regen a sec). The amount of hull ties into this also because it adds mass without increasing the systems.