A bunch of suggestions about PVP

Reaction score
    I'm just gonna get straight into it.

SUGGESTION #1: Replace Homebase Invincibility with Homebase Reinforcement.
    Homebase Invincibility is essentially and I win button, I took most of these suggestions from EVE, because these mechanics work well.
    Essentially once a Homebase takes enough beating it will enter a reinforced mode, where a certain type of material (e.g some time of ore) is burned up as long as this material can be burnt up the homebase will remain invincible, but when said material runs out the homebase the faction owning the homebase will be alerted and the homebase becomes vulnerable, once vulnerable, it can be made invulnerable by using the reboot feature (it takes longer then rebooting a ship and during so shields and power regeneration are disabled) however if a base has none of this material that keeps in safe until in runs out, in its storages when it takes enough beatings it will simply become no longer invincible skipping the invulnerability timer.

SUGGESTION #2: Fleet Management Interface.
    This is a window where you can invite people to your fleet and manage composition and objectives, effectively making a better fleet.
    Once a member is invited to a fleet, the fleet commander can set a fleet waypoint that everyone warps to, different wings can be assigned and have set different waypoints as well as broadcasting information in this window, such as "Enemy Spotted", "Im out of this fight", "Shields Down", "Armor Down", "Require Assistance" etc, and these notifications can also be seen on the signatures that show where your ship is as well as roles within the fleet such as "Fleet Commander" "Wing [Wing Number] Commander" and "Wing [Wing Number] Member" natural every wing is designated a number.

SUGGESTION #3: Changes to navigation menu "radar" and scanning.
    Unless your ship is radar jammed or cloaked, it is impossible to "get the drop on somebody" without being in a different sector to them where you can't see them.
    Firstly obstacles such as gas clouds, debris and large asteroid fields should be useable as hiding places where radar blips can not see you from long range due to interference, these obstacles can be used to hide from radar (and in the case of gas clouds visually as well), i also believe that if something large such as a station is being used to interrupt visual to an enemy, the radar blip cannot be seen at long range either, as for scanning it should have a configurable "scanning radius" the larger this radius is the less accurate the results are, eg max range will only show you there is SOMETHING there but not what, a shorted range will show you whenever it is an asteroid or ship or whatever, and short range will tell you names of ships, stations etc and even shorted will show you their faction and who is piloting them.

Well that's is.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    #1: I'm still a noob but first response that comes to my mind is that homebase invincibility should be a server-side setting. On the one hand I think homebase invincibility (or even "reinforcement") is quite detrimental to gameplay. On the other hand, I think it's a must for noob-friendliness.

#2: Love it.

#3: Does anyone even fly without a jammer?

But yeah, I kind of like your suggestion. Because so far I think that if it's too hard to see/find other people and everyone is just flying jammed and cloaked for fear of being blown up all the time, then one might as well play single player. Not for not being blown up, but if I'm to be staring at a blank radar screen anyway might as well be alone out there.

So it'd be better to have mechanics that only cloud you temporarily and to an extent -- such as the obstacles you've mentioned. Also things like jamming and cloaking should be temporary and with quite the recharge time. Unfortunately the cloaking mechanics right now seem to be pretty much that you're either perma-cloaked or not cloaked at all. It'd be cool if it was time-based: tiny ships/pods/shuttles maybe could get a perma or a long cloak, while the larger the vessel the shorter this time would be. A huge ship would only cloak for (say) 20 or 30 seconds at a time (witch a heftier cooldown in between).

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Incidentally I can cloak my 30k ship for about 10 seconds, more if I rearranged things a bit. Such things are possible but you have to build smart. Perhaps if cloaking was arranged around computers and modules we could have more versatility. And perhaps more OPness as well.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    #1 Nope, I'd support a no home base area though. Specifically centered around spawn.

#2 Fleet management is already planned. There are a ton of threads on this. It seems to be coming after the NPC update.

#3 Lots of threads on these types of things. I'd implore you to participate in those and read through their ideas as well.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    SUGGESTION #1: Replace Homebase Invincibility with Homebase Reinforcement.
    Homebase Invincibility is essentially and I win button, I took most of these suggestions from EVE, because these mechanics work well.
    Essentially once a Homebase takes enough beating it will enter a reinforced mode, where a certain type of material (e.g some time of ore) is burned up as long as this material can be burnt up the homebase will remain invincible, but when said material runs out the homebase the faction owning the homebase will be alerted and the homebase becomes vulnerable, once vulnerable, it can be made invulnerable by using the reboot feature (it takes longer then rebooting a ship and during so shields and power regeneration are disabled) however if a base has none of this material that keeps in safe until in runs out, in its storages when it takes enough beatings it will simply become no longer invincible skipping the invulnerability timer.
    No. I don't think you should be able to completely, 100% kill everything a faction owns. That's ridiculous. It just makes the domination of established players over new players even more concrete. Players NEED a safe place to retreat to.

That's not to say I like the current state of "everyone has a homebase and a couple of temp claim stations for mining and that's that." It's just that this does nothing to solve that.

SUGGESTION #3: Changes to navigation menu "radar" and scanning.
    Unless your ship is radar jammed or cloaked, it is impossible to "get the drop on somebody" without being in a different sector to them where you can't see them.
    Firstly obstacles such as gas clouds, debris and large asteroid fields should be useable as hiding places where radar blips can not see you from long range due to interference, these obstacles can be used to hide from radar (and in the case of gas clouds visually as well), i also believe that if something large such as a station is being used to interrupt visual to an enemy, the radar blip cannot be seen at long range either, as for scanning it should have a configurable "scanning radius" the larger this radius is the less accurate the results are, eg max range will only show you there is SOMETHING there but not what, a shorted range will show you whenever it is an asteroid or ship or whatever, and short range will tell you names of ships, stations etc and even shorted will show you their faction and who is piloting them.
    How to get the drop on someone- scan. oh look, a player. Set coords to their location. Jump, preferably with a jammer on. Congrats. They didn't even see you coming.

Reaction score
    No. I don't think you should be able to completely, 100% kill everything a faction owns. That's ridiculous. It just makes the domination of established players over new players even more concrete. Players NEED a safe place to retreat to.

That's not to say I like the current state of "everyone has a homebase and a couple of temp claim stations for mining and that's that." It's just that this does nothing to solve that.

How to get the drop on someone- scan. oh look, a player. Set coords to their location. Jump, preferably with a jammer on. Congrats. They didn't even see you coming.
    '

The problem with your first statement is that EVERY game with non-consensual pvp (Minecraft factions, EVE, StarMade just to name a few) there is always domination of established players over new ones, and there are plenty of ways get on the established factions level, in Minecraft for example you simply make your place inaccessible and far away to the point where nobody would want to put in the time or effort to find you and defeat you to get "noob gear". A similar principle can be put in StarMade with ease.

As for your "Getting the drop on someone 101" then i will rephrase, it is too easy to get the drop on someone it needs to be harder and there need to be hiding spots that people can use, there are barley any cover or obstacles in this game, in without any sort of tactical maneuvers that can benefit a fleet then your asking for things like biggest ship wins and extremely boring combat

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The problem with your first statement is that EVERY game with non-consensual pvp (Minecraft factions, EVE, StarMade just to name a few) there is always domination of established players over new ones, and there are plenty of ways get on the established factions level, in Minecraft for example you simply make your place inaccessible and far away to the point where nobody would want to put in the time or effort to find you and defeat you to get "noob gear". A similar principle can be put in StarMade with ease.
    "blahblah other games do it so its ok"

I'm not saying established players shouldn't be able to dominate newbies. I'm saying that they shouldn't be able to completely kill someone out of the game by destroying all of their assets. EVE has a huge playerbase with massive ingame corporations to fall back on. What does a group of 5 or 6 people playing the game together have to fall back on when some asshole on one of the few decent servers wants to completely destroy them? Nothing. And pretty soon, they'll be out of good servers to play on, because this is a tiny community that has very few large servers. The only thing vulnerable homebases is good for is murdering the game's population and cutting off the flow of new players a few days into their first multiplayer experience.

Territory beside the HB should be important. You should need to control territory, and you should be able to take that territory from people. You should be able to push people back to nothing but their HB. But you should never, in vanilla, ever have to deal with every single thing you own getting destroyed.

As for your "Getting the drop on someone 101" then i will rephrase, it is too easy to get the drop on someone it needs to be harder and there need to be hiding spots that people can use, there are barley any cover or obstacles in this game, in without any sort of tactical maneuvers that can benefit a fleet then your asking for things like biggest ship wins and extremely boring combat
    Speaking as someone who's done quite a bit of PvP in this game- you have no idea what you're talking about. There is a huge a amount of tactics in PvP, and they let you easily overcome a ship much higher than your mass. And once we get fleet control? "Biggest ship wins" is gone in everything but a 1v1. And even in a 1v1, bigger =/= better. A better ship is a ship that properly utilizes its block count to the best of its ability.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Speaking as someone who's done quite a bit of PvP in this game- you have no idea what you're talking about. There is a huge a amount of tactics in PvP, and they let you easily overcome a ship much higher than your mass. And once we get fleet control? "Biggest ship wins" is gone in everything but a 1v1. And even in a 1v1, bigger =/= better. A better ship is a ship that properly utilizes its block count to the best of its ability.
    Can confirm, someone trying to gank you in a shit fighter while you are in a shit miner and absentmindedly mining is one of the most heart-pounding adrenaline inducing things that has happened to me in starmade. I loved it.

And after making a small 2k mass ship, it can almost take down ships twice its size. Sure it gets beat to hell, but I can just disassemble it and print a new one at shipyards. Bringing expendable chaff and drones can help you get out of tight situations. :P
    Once I jettisoned all my turrets and used them as a shields while pulsing my jammer to prevent him from getting lockons with his missile beams and distract his own turrets while I finished charging my jump drive to escape, it was pretty awesome.

Also, @ the TopKek alt, why.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

I'm not saying established players shouldn't be able to dominate newbies. I'm saying that they shouldn't be able to completely kill someone out of the game by destroying all of their assets. EVE has a huge playerbase with massive ingame corporations to fall back on. What does a group of 5 or 6 people playing the game together have to fall back on when some asshole on one of the few decent servers wants to completely destroy them? Nothing. And pretty soon, they'll be out of good servers to play on, because this is a tiny community that has very few large servers. The only thing vulnerable homebases is good for is murdering the game's population and cutting off the flow of new players a few days into their first multiplayer experience.

Territory beside the HB should be important. You should need to control territory, and you should be able to take that territory from people. You should be able to push people back to nothing but their HB. But you should never, in vanilla, ever have to deal with every single thing you own getting destroyed.
    THIS.

EVE also has a huge problem with the player count not really ever growing--what it's got, it's got. Why? Because people really like setting up elaborate scams on new players, new players lose literally everything, new players leave--in a game where your first hundred hours are essentially the introduction to the tutorial of playing the game. This kills games that don't have the same brand loyalty as EVE.

So, an option for your private epeen server? Sure! Awesome, more options to configure the game so that everyone can play their way is win!

As an enforced rule that will trickle down to everyone, including casual shipbuilders that want nothing to do with megafaction bullshit? No. No, no, and thrice-fucked NO. The three person youtube crew that enjoys exploring and screwing around shouldn't be locked into what maybe ten, fifteen people that read your thread think is a good game mode without an option.

Enforcing arbitrary rules based on epeen levels is the fastest way to kill a creative sandbox game--but adding server configuration options for said epeen level duels is great. Why? Because forcing an arbitrary difficulty that you have no options on is detrimental to the overall playerbase. In fact you can see that with how Space Engineers is panning out--they listened to the tiny part of their community that wanted Call of Rust: Survival In Space and... in general the game has taken a turn for the worse in terms of a creative sandbox, since epeen duel alien explosions replaced, you know... engineering.

TL;DR:

Enforced arbitrary bullshit is bullshit. Optional arbitrary bullshit is awesome.