[7th of June] Schine Bi-weekly Q&A

Status
    Not open for further replies.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    (We're going to be writing multiple QAs at the same time, previous one as well as this one and potentially the next one as well)

Welcome to our bi-weekly Q&A!

Question taking is open.

Questions taking will close on the 9th of May.

Ask any question about StarMade or its development, and we'll try out best to answer it in a forum answer thread posted every two weeks (provided it's not a secret). Depending on how many questions are asked, we may have to move questions from this session to be answered in subsequent sessions (or, skipped).

Rules:
    • Please ensure that your question has not been asked previously. If it has been asked in a previous QA and listed on the answer later pile (not skipped), you may repeat it t
    • Keep responses on this thread to: posting questions, notifying an author of a question that it has already been posted, and expanding on already asked questions.
    • As many questions as you wish, we just might not be able to answers them all :)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What would it take to convince Schema to add air/pressurization for ships? That's been a gaping hole in the game since before alpha.

Reactions: MacThule

Koloss_Meshuggah

Resident Wall Flower
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Other than chairs and boarding mechanics, are there anymore plans for "on-board" features for interacting with the interior of the ship ? I honestly can't think of anything that could be added, does schema have ideas ?

As of right now there is no reason to leave the core except to get to the airlock and leave the ship. Any interior is purely aesthetic.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Other than chairs and boarding mechanics, are there anymore plans for "on-board" features for interacting with the interior of the ship ? I honestly can't think of anything that could be added, does schema have ideas ?

As of right now there is no reason to leave the core except to get to the airlock and leave the ship. Any interior is purely aesthetic.
    Could some of the core's functions possibly be "outsourced" to other blocks? Like helping the pilot select targets or set nav points?

What about science labs for analyzing stuff we find, or minigame-like astrometrics functions for finding anomalies?

Koloss_Meshuggah

Resident Wall Flower
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Could some of the core's functions possibly be "outsourced" to other blocks? Like helping the pilot select targets or set nav points?

What about science labs for analyzing stuff we find, or minigame-like astrometrics functions for finding anomalies?
    I would like the camera block to have a "periscope" function so that you can walk up to it and look out the sides or rear of your ship

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    1) How much more technical work will it take to be able to create physical implementations of the particle system, e.g. custom particle emitter blocks or a 'spark' particle effect randomly appearing on damaged/negative integrity systems?

2) I remember you guys mentioning that there would be dev builds released during the universe update progress which showcase various parts getting finished... Any info on what some of those segments/milestones might be?

3) Can we expect minor things like art asset updates or new decorative blocks (or 'standalone' auxiliary features like command chairs) coming out to release branch while the major code work is going on for the universe, or are we as a community looking at another year+ total content drought except for the occasional unstable preview builds?

Ckeeze

innovator
    Reaction score
    1) Will we get some more sneak peak about the new planets sometime?

2)Does the Universe update mean that the game will be in a new stage of development? (Beta, leaving early acces etc..)

3)Will there be new contests for NPC assets? (sence the last ones are useless becouse Power 2.0)
    [doublepost=1529951621,1529951516][/doublepost]
    1)
    3) Can we expect minor things like art asset updates or new decorative blocks (or 'standalone' auxiliary features like command chairs) coming out to release branch while the major code work is going on for the universe, or are we as a community looking at another year+ total content drought except for the occasional unstable preview builds?
    You asked for the number one taboo! CHAIRS! :)
    [doublepost=1529951695][/doublepost]
    What would it take to convince Schema to add air/pressurization for ships? That's been a gaping hole in the game since before alpha.
    Give all the players NASA computers... then he will do it!

Reactions: Briaireous

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    1. In the new config Zoom values are sort of unclear. Cannons start with <PossibleZoom>0.5</PossibleZoom> (which seems to be 2x? or is it 150% 1.5x?)then the charge-cannon gets modified with <PossibleZoom style="nerf" value="2"/> Does this mean 0.5 gets divided by 2 down to 0.25? (which seems to be 4x? or is it 125%?) Does this mean that zoom values are equal to decimal fractions, or have I gotten this completely backwards? Eg if I used <...Style="set"...> would 16x be <... value="0.0625"...> or would it be <... value="16.0"...> or something else entirely? The mechanics of the Skip/Buff/Nerf flags have always been a little obtuse to me. Clarification on exactly how this works in all 4 scenarios(or more if there's flags I havn't mentioned) would be greatly appreciated. (double so if explantion incorporated into the configs headers sometime soon)
    2. Can we get the "ReactorStabilizerDistance" part of block config expanded to other block types? I don't mean that it should be on by DEFAULT just as an OPTIONAL flag for servers that want to go about the size:power ratio in a different methodology than stab&ugly-purple-tube. EG: Chambers moved to stab distance, or shields, or thrust/etc... Same efficiency reduction inside of the react radius, but applied to the other systems. Renaming this value "<StableReactorDistance>" with a subflag <Type>NONE/LINEAR/EXP/LOG/LOG_LEVELED</Type> could condense the added cfg bloat while maintaining functionality.
    3. Is there a flag I can inject into the configs to make per-block range additions on weapons/tools? EG have each block in a group add a fixed(orbetter LINEAR/EXP/LOG/LOG_LEVELED) +x to the projectile's base range.

Give all the players NASA computers... then he will do it!
      With how crappy and old NASA's computers are, I'm laughing quite hard at that.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Briaireous
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    This is super outside the current development priorities, but it would be very cool if we could add optional computers to allow additional player crew to enhance core functions in this way. Like a nav & targetting comp that allows a copilot to assign multiple targets with various priorities for the captain, assign targets to turret groups, etc. Internal computers that allow manual increase of jump drive charge, reactor output, shield regen, etc would be cool too - basically a set of multiplayer buffs. Are copilots currently allowed to switch reactors and modify chambers and power priority on a ship with a pilot in the core? This stuff would make multi-player capital ships really fun to play because having a co-pilot or two on the bridge would then make your ship a lot more effective. It would facilitate meaningful party play options beyond each player captaining their own ship. Good thought.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Seeing as there was mention of sounds being worked-on for the Universe Update, I see it fitting to ask; Is this going to be when we hear all of Danki's beautiful music as well? Much thanks. =)

Status
    Not open for further replies.