500 meters vertical ship power layout

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Wow, thats a lot more complicated than mine.
    Yea, well, to quote myself:
    This is NOT the best logic, indeed it may well be the worst.
    In any case, it seems to me that if you have each reactor idle for 2.5 seconds as you alternate between them, you are either wasting it's power generation for that amount of time, or you are storing it. If you are storing it, you will need almost as many batteries as my own second power supply beam uses, and then, you will have to have double the size of the power supply beam system to transfer twice the power. This strikes me as very block inefficient.

Certainly if you have multiple docked power reactors, it does make sense to have only one set of logic on your ship and for the ship to activate the docked power reactor's computers via wireless. That will result in less blocks and easier maintenance. The dockable reactors do however become less plug and play, but that is a minor thing.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In any case, it seems to me that if you have each reactor idle for 2.5 seconds as you alternate between them, you are either wasting it's power generation for that amount of time, or you are storing it. If you are storing it, you will need almost as many batteries as my own second power supply beam uses, and then, you will have to have double the size of the power supply beam system to transfer twice the power. This strikes me as very block inefficient.
    I find it makes the build easier.

When I make a docked generator, the first thing I do is build a generator that can hit soft cap (or whatever particular power/size restraint I'm aiming for). Then put in the transfer beams and the capacitors. Set the beams to a test fire pulse, and then fiddle with the capacitor/beam blocks until I get to the point where each beam cycle bottoms out the energy for the structure save for a slim margin at the bottom.

I end up with a generator that fires for a solid 2.5 seconds and almost completely bottoms out the capacitors save for maybe a 5% safety buffer, that recharges the bank to full again in as close to 2.5 seconds as possible to be ready for the next cycle.

Power output is the same, the build is simpler, the logic is a hell of a lot simpler, and its not like the cost of a handful of capacitors in resources or mass is really any kind of limiting factor for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Hello, I building a replica of the ISA ship from Killzone wich is a vertical ship.
    I've made it 500 meters tall and i'd like to have a really high power regen, so i'd like to know, what is the best layout for it, rows, Full block, Big optimized cubes?
    If you want up to 1.2 million e/sec, long power lines in the T/X/Z shapes are your friend. If you want over 1.2mil/sec don't build ANY long lines and just checkerboard fill the ship.

->under 1.2 mil/sec "bonus dimension" power is efficient

->over 1.2 mil a sec COMPLETELY UNLINKED SINGLE CUBES have rougly triple the efficiency of any face-touching cubes.

These two build styles are mutually exclusive: the checkerboard type only sees it's efficiency after 1.2 mil/sec, but if you have existing long line power generation checkerboards will not show their efficiency until they finish "killing" the dimension efficiency of the other reactor type, and even then the other type will "kill" the total efficiency because they are missing the single cube bonus.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you want up to 1.2 million e/sec, long power lines in the T/X/Z shapes are your friend. If you want over 1.2mil/sec don't build ANY long lines and just checkerboard fill the ship.

->under 1.2 mil/sec "bonus dimension" power is efficient

->over 1.2 mil a sec COMPLETELY UNLINKED SINGLE CUBES have rougly triple the efficiency of any face-touching cubes.

These two build styles are mutually exclusive: the checkerboard type only sees it's efficiency after 1.2 mil/sec, but if you have existing long line power generation checkerboards will not show their efficiency until they finish "killing" the dimension efficiency of the other reactor type, and even then the other type will "kill" the total efficiency because they are missing the single cube bonus.
    Could you perhaps tell me what memory settings you use? Every time I make a checker pattern reactor my game locks up when I try to go into the SHIP MENU. Maybe my rig doesn't have enough grunt?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Could you perhaps tell me what memory settings you use? Every time I make a checker pattern reactor my game locks up when I try to go into the SHIP MENU. Maybe my rig doesn't have enough grunt?
    rig grunt aye, game grunt aye. make a bug report, attach the .sment ait. live without del.

Reaction score
    Thanks for that picture, mine usually look more like checkerboard lines, but that might work better(besides super-long stick-ships). Learn something new all the time, no matter having been here since the days of waffle AMCs, and the old textures.