3D Printing

Reaction score
    That was intended for stability of the printed object.
    Actually that is less flexible. The 3D printer takes care of the support where there is open space using methods like Honeycomb, or in this case, Hex (I think that's what it was called). If you can find a way to ONLY make visible faces come up in the poly, that would be a lot better in this case. It also allows it to fill it faster, since it doesn't need to do "proper" layers that are visible.
    Regardless

SUCCESS! :D image2Cropped.jpg
    Camera evidently isn't fantastic. But still! :D

Attachments

Reactions: kupu and Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Will try my best. In any case, I added wedges(and some optimizations[and an auto-filename completion]), but the orientation is buggy in some orientations, so it'll have to wait a little. The smd2 format also was altered, so I'll have to pretty much rewrite much of the reading code :/

Reaction score
    Fantastic! You've been amazing help :D looking forward to going further with this! :D

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    1:1000 scale, I take it. Congratulations, you've made the first ever 3D print of a Starmade ship. Next step: Get rid of the strings ;)

Reaction score
    1:1000 scale, I take it. Congratulations, you've made the first ever 3D print of a Starmade ship. Next step: Get rid of the strings ;)
    Thanks man! :D I appreciate the support.

I've cut off some of the strings, however, I don't have a good enough camera to show. The above photos were taken with my co-mentor's camera.

The "strings" were due to the printer. and just appear underneath. But lessens as it goes on. May be something to do with the nozzle heat or other. The top of the ship looks a lot better than what these photos show.

With this particular printer, and because of the way it handles these "block" shapes, I don't know how much it can be avoided. We'll see how it turns out when the converter (fully) supports all angled blocks.
    I think it's because it doesn't build "supports" underneath it (because it is so small), so the first layer 'flops' down as such. then flops less and less as it goes up. If I scaled the model up, to be physically larger, rather than the size of my thumbnail (roughly); then it might hold up better by making those supports.

We do have another printer which is better at building finer models. So when we have it back in action, I'll be sure to try and print on that one, then hopefully it will turn out nicer.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Better start teaching those kids how to paint 3D printed objects :P

Reaction score
    Welp. I didn't know how much I needed a 3d printer until now.