3D Printing

Reaction score
    Hello you amazing person(s) reading this!
    For my job, I work with autistic kids. And I lured them into Starmade! (MWAHAHAHA)
    They are enjoying the game, and enjoying our 3D printer.
    I was wondering if the two could be combined? I.e. Build a ship in Starmade, and print it!
    I am experienced in programming, and with 3Ds Max by Autodesk. Although I don't actually know what file format I need to spit into the printer.
    Could I just simply have some help converting StarMade Blueprints, into files that say 3Ds Max can read (then I should be able to find online what file to convert the model to -for the printer- from there)
    Thanks peoples!

Reactions: Cheapskate
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    It should definetly be possible, but I wonder to what level it should be taken.(view doors as open or closed, leave docked entities attached or not, take textures into account, attempt to smooth out the hull, 'fill' the interior[if there is any] or include it, what scale, etc)

Reaction score
    I would approach the pass through model at a very simple level.
    -No textures (the 3D printer doesn't do paint)
    -Glass and doors just become filled blocks.
    -I would get the students to make a second version of their ships where the inside is "filled". Unless they so wish to design the ship that you can see inside (makes it simpler)
    -Hetras, wedges etc. Would all be as they are in the game. If there is to be any "smoothing" I could do that in 3Ds Max. But that isn't a concern when trying to get the file converted over in the first place
    -Docked entities... That is a good question, I forgot about those
    Unless when developing the port for 3Ds Max it automatically includes adding each ship as separate objects; I think I will probably again ask the kids to build the turrets/ships directly onto the ship in the aesthetic version.
    I.e. if there is not a simple solution, then just don't have them import.
    I suppose if the kid REALLY wants the turret(s)/ship(s) as separate objects etc. I could, again, import and manipulate the separate ships in 3Ds Max to re-position them correctly, and prepare the file for 3D printing etc.

Scale: 1 block = 1 3Ds Max unit. I'll need to re-scale it in 3Ds Max anyway, as I do know that the 3D printer as it's 'unit' space where the object to be printed must sit in, else it will simply skip where the dimensions go beyond the boundaries.

I'd just like to know where to start in terms of potentially converting .smd2 files into something 3Ds Max can read. Or support from the developers to develop a plug-in for 3Ds Max to be able to read the .smd2 files.

Can you help?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    After looking at some specifications, I can make a tool, that makes wrl models out of blueprints. As for a wrl→3ds converter, you'll have to look for that yourself, as making a direct writer for that format could end up very complicated.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Could probably make some nifty cash too.

eBay ships and such.

Reactions: SapioiT
    Reaction score
    Not sure, but can't SMedit export to some standard 3D formats? .DAE and .OBJ I think but not tried it out myself? Only problem with that is well SMedit is buggy, and I think currently you cannot import blueprints into it?

Might be an idea any ways to look how that works and if it can be modified or built upon perhaps?
    No 3D printer myself but yeah would be cool to be able to get our ships printed some how.

I myself would want ships to keep their StarMade blocky look.

Reaction score
    Thanks Megacrafter127! I'll let you know how it goes. I'll have a chance on Saturday to try it out. If that fails, maybe the week after.
    I'll update you then! :D

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Thanks Megacrafter127! I'll let you know how it goes. I'll have a chance on Saturday to try it out. If that fails, maybe the week after.
    I'll update you then! :D
    Maybe I'll have added some more shapes of the blocks by then[getting the rotation right is a PITA, especially if the axis doesn't match].

Reaction score
    I jumped the gun a little. :p
    So: Firstly, After the converter stopped running the first time, I repeated it, and it worked fine. I converted the Isanth model... B, I think.
    3Ds Max couldn't read the file until I manually renamed the file from Test1 to Test1.wrl. Then 3Ds Max could open up the file. I then got the following results. One sided normals. The faces weren't exactly squares either, as you can see below. As I rotate the camera around, the faces vanished.
    Capture.PNG Capture4.PNG Capture6.PNG

Attachments

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    At least there will be a integrated way soon...

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I jumped the gun a little. :p
    So: Firstly, After the converter stopped running the first time, I repeated it, and it worked fine. I converted the Isanth model... B, I think.
    3Ds Max couldn't read the file until I manually renamed the file from Test1 to Test1.wrl. Then 3Ds Max could open up the file. I then got the following results. One sided normals. The faces weren't exactly squares either, as you can see below. As I rotate the camera around, the faces vanished.
    View attachment 12473View attachment 12477 View attachment 12479
    yes, the triangles used are 1 sided, but that should be enough. You can either set 3Ds Max to display anything from both sides, or only display the wireframe.
    In any case, the 3D-printer should handle it.

Reaction score
    You're right. After some fiddling around in 3Ds Max. I managed to get it working NORMALly (s'cuse the pun)
    Capture9.PNG
    I'll see to getting it into a file type the 3D printer accepts. But for those using 3Ds Max that are interested in what I did.
    1. Duplicate the mesh object (the "Dummy" parents objects can be removed)
    2. with the new object, make sure it is at identical coordinates. Apply the "Normal" modifier, and apply "flip normals"
    3. In the create tab (the sun one) under compound objects, apply the Boolean modifier to either of the objects, then select operand B as the other object.
    4. Still in the Bolean, under "Operation", select "Union"
    5. Done

Reaction score
    Ok. so so far I have a major problem: I can only open up Starmade's default blueprints. When I try to open any of mine, I double click the file, then the jar program just stops running. Vanishes, as if it were never there. I confirmed that it is not due to the naming by giving one of my blueprints the same name as one of the default Blueprints.

Another concern I have (whether it is actually a problem remains to be seen) is that the model literally has every single block in the ship.
    Capture10.PNG Isanth-VI
    rather than just the blocks on the outside that are visually rendered (of course with the exception of the actual room inside the ship)
    Not sure if I described that well, but hopefully the image helps demonstrate that concern.
    I'll try and print out the above model on Saturday none the less, and let you know how that goes.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1433391645,1433389581][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok. so I've been continuing to try and get it working.
    I tried to create some more .wrl(s) with the following results.
    One of my custom built ships just exports with empty data. (But at least it exports... right?)
    One of my custom built ships exports, with it's mesh data... But adds a few blocks extra
    Capture11.PNG Capture12.PNG
    (Sorry. took the picture the wrong way round)

But your SmentToWRL.jar still won't convert my modified Isanth-VI. But will convert the original Isanth-VI. As I have mentioned in earlier posts.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Another concern I have (whether it is actually a problem remains to be seen) is that the model literally has every single block in the ship.
    That was intended for stability of the printed object.
    Ok. so I've been continuing to try and get it working.
    I tried to create some more .wrl(s) with the following results.
    One of my custom built ships just exports with empty data. (But at least it exports... right?)
    One of my custom built ships exports, with it's mesh data... But adds a few blocks extra
    View attachment 12485View attachment 12486
    (Sorry. took the picture the wrong way round)

But your SmentToWRL.jar still won't convert my modified Isanth-VI. But will convert the original Isanth-VI. As I have mentioned in earlier posts.
    Hrm, that is indeed strange. If I had the blueprints I could try to see what's wrong.
    As for the extra blocks, they seem to be in different segments, which seem to have been unreferenced from the entity itself, but still exist in the blueprint.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    when are you going to take over smedit, or make a better one? You're working on a blueprint to 3dmodel tool, so you clearly know how too :p

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I want to have a small model of Endeavor on my table so bad now...

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Btw mega, can you be magical and make it export with textures. fairly sure .obj files can be exported with uv mapping *batters eyelids*

It would be neat as fuck to have ships in 3d modelling software looking sweg.

Reaction score
    I gave this a try and it worked just fine. I also discovered that those without 3d studiomax can use Netfabb basic to convert it obj or stl, and meshmixer can make it nice and solid. Both are easy to use and Free.

Reaction score
    3D Printing of Starmade ships? Great idea! Also, if they'd include an option to export directly from the starmade launcher into a 3D file, that'd be a lot better, both for the users and for advertising the game.