3D Interactive Starmade Map (for browsers)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please note: I'm not taking credit for the original design or code, simply modifying something I found very interesting and hoping that other server owners can incorporate it onto their sites.

Earlier today I was looking at the code of EVE Online's website and found this: http://www.eveonline.com/universe/the-world-of-eve/ It's a pretty viewer of their universe that details sector names, their security rating, and the region they're located in. Each one of those 5000+ dots is clickable and has information regarding it. I downloaded the site code and found this is the Jscript: http://puu.sh/3wTpx.png Each sector's location and information mapped out and I had the idea, why not do something similar for Starmade servers? In reality it would be easier since Starmade sectors are boxed (to a degree) rather than in a scattered formation, I guess scattering it would look better than an actual representation. You could assign factions homesectors on it, name sectors, etc.

Let me know your thoughts!

Reaction score
    YES OMG HELL YES..... sorry but this is an amazing idea and would be great for where ships are laid out for things like attack patterns and defensive layouts aswell as keeping track where you parked stuff :3 some one should deffinitly do it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ...Yes, good sir.

That map for EVE was really impressive, and I do beleive it would be easier to make such for StarMade. However, perhaps since it\'s all boxed up, you could use a scroll system to go up and down, and simply pan to go left right, forward and backward? Otherwise, you\'d have to have the camera INSIDE the sector you want to select it unless it\'s at the edge.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You would be able to use your mouse and spin it in every direction to see all sectors, ect. Not sure if you could track ships because that would need a link between the server and the map, currently the map does not rely on any server and is seperate. There\'s another one that EVE uses to show populations of Research Facilities and Researchers, I could turn that into showing planet/shop populations instead for sectors, allowing you to easily map out areas you\'d want to settle before even entering the game.

Reaction score
    Another great thread created by you Iprotiige, maps always come in handy, no matter the game. and I figured it was sut a matter of time until lsomeone suggested this! your presentation was great and the idea itself is great. +1 thumbs up :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thank you for the kind words! I\'m just about to start plotting sectors (or trying to) and I guess we\'ll see what happens.

Reaction score
    ships alike great idea and i look forward to see any progress made. XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree that ships would be a good idea but I have no way to impliment it :/ It MAY be possible to do based on ship entity locations being saved to the server database, but someone else would have to know how to do it xD Hoping to have it all finished by tonight (no promises)!

Here\'s where I\'m at currently: just getting a clean slate to work with: http://puu.sh/3xbBE.png

Reaction score
    This would be a great feature that could be on live sites, like a live-map used by server\'s on minecraft.

Also have you read my PM?

Regards

-FR1ES

Reaction score
    Power reminded me of the Dynamic map for minecraft, might want to look at that for some assistance :D let me know if youd liek any help as well. love all your EVE ideas :)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I must say, this is looking awesome. I only have a few questions/suggestions. I\'m intrugied as to how something like this would work for the end user. is the idea you just enter a server ip and sector and it will show a 3D representaion of that sector and outlying sectors. If so, a good idea might be to have the abillity to enter/select a faction name and see the ships/stations as red or green, obviously corresponding to the factions relations with the faction entered. Also, I beleive only an admin should be able to have full access to this tool, with normal players having limited access, like being able to see cloaker/jammed ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well the 3D starmap would not be in-game, simply a jscript code you could use on your server website to give users the ability to see sector names, cords, security status, # of stations/shops. It would not be updated realtime as it\'s completely standalone from Starmade. However I do think that it can be useful to users to help plan out where they\'d like to establish themselves on the server, nearest shops/stations, and give users the ability to name sectors that would be reflected on the starmap and in the overall rp on the server.

Current look: http://puu.sh/3yNxT.png

The hard part is putting each sector in by hand and making sure it has the proper cordinates. After that\'s done other servers could rename sectors as they\'d like while having the representation of their server map be exactly the same (since all sectors are structed identically).

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hi guys, i\'m working on starmap for browser, i think i could share it before Christmas, I just need to rework my Starmade decoder (outdated) and add some features (more info about entity, like position...).

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5644/43on.png

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Make your own thread instead of necro posting some one elses