3D Holo Map/Display

Reaction score
    Has anyone built an actual 3D holo map? As in a large 3D display showing one or more sectors and the position of everything in it? I.e. a scaled up version of the mini-map that sits in the corner of the screen.
    I'm certain it's a very common item in sci fi fiction, but right now the only example I can think of is in the command room in X-COM.
    It would be great to have in stations and fleet command ships.

I've searched but couldn't find any.

If it doesn't already exist, how would it be done?

I imagine it could work by having a fixed Bobby weapon rotate first slowly on the y axis and also very fast on the x/z axes (i.e. just an axis perpendicular to y) and place a shielded entity in front of it that would be shot every time the sensor pointed at something. Logic would be checking that shield to see when it drops, and when it does, measure the angle of the two rotating axes.

Three of these sensors would work together to triangulate a position in 3D space. (and you'd probably want multiple groups of these to detect different types of targets)

The sensors would pass their data to display modules hidden in the walls of the holo display room.

I'm a complete novice in SM logic, but it seems to me it would be a pretty huge system. Perhaps too large for anything other than titans or dedicated command ships (and stations of course).

Anyway, has it already been done?

EDIT: actually, I suppose the triangulation wouldn't work, because you'd need all three sub-sensors to point at the same target simultaneously for that...there's surely a solution though?
    _85237120_warship.png

Last edited:
    Reactions: Macharius
    Reaction score
    The only thing I can possibly imagine actually working would be to connect a massive sphere of area sensors surrounding a ship to a bunch of forcefield blocks. (Each sensor to one block)
    Then as you passed by things in close range, they would make a silhouette in your display.
    It could be cool, but I can't imagine it ever being USEFUL...

If you put a display on a station, you could build a static system model. It's the "updating" part that's the huge technical hurdle.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Someone made a punch-card reader. It could be used for this purpose (scanning ships)

The holo-display itself could be a door-array (or furzefields), but it isn't as compact as in the image you shown.

You could also use moveable parts with rails and non-solid parts, but that would have a huge machine room underneath (100x100x10 and more).

To store the data, I suggest using the 4 letters AGCT and a genetic code in display blocks :p
    But seriously,
    you could use hexadecimals or code-pages for letters to import/export and store this data in display blocks with copy+paste.

Last edited:

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Doing precise triangulation is currently impossible especially with the stupid fixed rotors we have, and using total rotation wouldn't be very accurate and a hell lot slower than you'd think.

Reaction score
    I'm not sure whether wireless logic can work over multiply sectors.
    But if so then maybe you could set up a map were sectors light up when enemies get in, using this Detector: Enemy Detection (Model II)

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm not sure whether wireless logic can work over multiply sectors.
    But if so then maybe you could set up a map were sectors light up when enemies get in, using this Detector: Enemy Detection (Model II)
    You would need Holomap.Width^3 number of detectors lying around, and need to make sure that all the connections maintain throughout use, which would be insanely difficult in the current state of SM.