215,000% shields?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Just saw a fight in MP where a 3K mass ship went instantly from 220/220___100% shields to 475K/220__215000% shields and repeatedly fire while cloaked, repeatedly not uncloak when scanned, then - after a full minute - disengage and return to showing 220/220. o_O

Is it possible for an admin to even do what I saw, or does it have to be a bug or hack?

Is it possible that both of those things could have been client-side display bugs, occurring at the same time, while several other ships and a station nearby rendered and displayed normally and the game was otherwise stable and smooth?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    It's easily possible to not be de-cloaked upon scanning, but the other parts seem fishy. Might have just been a visual glitch.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This should have been posted in the bug forum.

Have you screenshots, log-files or a player-name?
    Maybe he still has screenshots, log-files or knows how to replicate the bug/glitch.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    If I had shots, I would have reported as a bug. Sadly, I was just passing by and I was too busy trying to verify my off-the-charts readings to remember to shoot it until all I was looking at was empty space and a targeted entity reading 220/220 (I do have a shot of that though and the ship's owner confirming that the ship in fact has 475K shields, but it's not enough to demonstrate a bug or anything).

Also, after what Jaas said I'm now wondering if the ship actually did fire, because I saw damage to the other ship occur as the cloaked ship closed on it, but never actually saw any cannons or missiles fired from the cloaked ship. Is it possible for an admin to cause something like star heat damage temporarily in a sector? Is it possible for an admin to 'set' a ship's shields above its normal cap - massively overload them - with an admin console command?

Reaction score
    I don't think there is a set_shield console command. I think I remember a command to start/stop regen, but that was it.

If there is a set_shield command, someone let me know, eh? It would be very useful for weapon testing in single player.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Just saw a fight in MP where a 3K mass ship went instantly from 220/220___100% shields to 475K/220__215000% shields and repeatedly fire while cloaked, repeatedly not uncloak when scanned, then - after a full minute - disengage and return to showing 220/220. o_O
    You can add multiple radarjamming computers. Thousands if you want. This should offcourse not be but it can be done currently.

The cloaked ship may have had turrets.

An Admin has these commands for shields:

• shield_damage
      • DESCRIPTION: damages the shield for value provided
      • PARAMETERS: Damage(Integer)
      • EXAMPLE: /shield_damage 120
    • shield_outage
      • DESCRIPTION: brings down the shields of the selected object or the currently controlling
      • PARAMETERS:
      • EXAMPLE: /shield_outage
    • shield_regen
      • DESCRIPTION: Turn shield regen on/off for selected entity
      • PARAMETERS: RegenActive(True/False)
      • EXAMPLE: /shield_regen true
    There is no command to add shields.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It is entirely possible to make a much heavier ship appear to be significantly smaller. That combined with docked weapons makes what you saw sound both plausible and pretty messed up. Without more info its impossible to be sure.

Reaction score
    I experienced a relatable shield displaying: Some entities that I exactly know for having more shields (self made or from friends, I don't remember, I only remember the issue), showed me to have 220 shields.

Reaction score
    wow, ok. I have a few questions & ideas after reading this.

Re shield commands - is it possible to /shield_damage -457000 - negative damage? (haven't tried)

It's easily possible to not be de-cloaked upon scanning, but the other parts seem fishy. Might have just been a visual glitch.
    How would that be possible? A server related issue or a ship design?
    Several cloakers: got scanned, cloak 1 deactivates, quickly activate cloak 2 ? (Not possible to automate this with logic currently)

It is entirely possible to make a much heavier ship appear to be significantly smaller. That combined with docked weapons makes what you saw sound both plausible and pretty messed up. Without more info its impossible to be sure.
    That's what I thought at first too - a modular ship design with a lot of mass & systems of docked entities - but then the shields wouldn't show a weird jump from 220 to 475k, while they had the main ship selected.

Since there was no visible cannon, missile or beam fire - maybe it was pulse weapon? render issues?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I tried the negative shield damage this morning, as the same thought had occurred to me. No effect beyond raising shields to max.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    wow, ok. I have a few questions & ideas after reading this.

Re shield commands - is it possible to /shield_damage -457000 - negative damage? (haven't tried)

How would that be possible? A server related issue or a ship design?
    Several cloakers: got scanned, cloak 1 deactivates, quickly activate cloak 2 ? (Not possible to automate this with logic currently)

That's what I thought at first too - a modular ship design with a lot of mass & systems of docked entities - but then the shields wouldn't show a weird jump from 220 to 475k, while they had the main ship selected.

Since there was no visible cannon, missile or beam fire - maybe it was pulse weapon? render issues?
    A ship with more radar jammers/cloakers than a ship with scanners will overpower the scanners and will not be decloaked.
    I.E. if you have 100 jammers and cloakers, they take the same power as 1, except for the additional mass, and if a ship with 99 or fewer scanners scans you, you will remain cloaked and jammed.

Reaction score
    A ship with more radar jammers/cloakers than a ship with scanners will overpower the scanners and will not be decloaked.
    I.E. if you have 100 jammers and cloakers, they take the same power as 1, except for the additional mass, and if a ship with 99 or fewer scanners scans you, you will remain cloaked and jammed.
    Lol, really? It never occurred to me to ever put more than one jammer computer or cloaker computer. Will have to test this somehow :)

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Lol, really? It never occurred to me to ever put more than one jammer computer or cloaker computer. Will have to test this somehow :)
    It works with your own scanners too. The Titov has 126 jammers, and 125 scanners. If you scan, you don't de-jam yourself with that ship, while normally you would, if you run with only one jammer.
    Titov

Reaction score
    That's very useful, Thanks! If only Cloaking Computers weighed less than 0.1 - that's be perrrfect :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    That whole sensory and stealth system is probably due for a rewrite soonish anyway. Did not know that multiple cloak/jam computers work in unison like that, though.

Like others said the shields probably a display bug. They could have been using warheads attached to a docked entity to damage the target, or the docked entity decloaking ship on firing exploit wasnt fixed properly