2 launchers 2 games?

Reaction score
    I'm experiencing a baffling situation. I got Starmade on Steam but I couldn't get the game to launch on the new launcher so I ended up playing over 100 hours using the older launcher. Then I figured out how to turn off the intro video in the new launcher so that the game would launch. . . but when it loaded my save was not available. I checked the steam folder and I see the Starmade folder in there and my universe save is in the database folder. . . but the new launcher is either not going there to load my game or it is not seeing my save in the database for unknown reasons. If I return to the old launcher and load the game, my save is available.

I tried deleting everything from Steam and re-installing but I still get the same behavior.

Am I missing something?

My system is a Macbook pro retna 15 inch 2013 OS 10.9.5 with a GeForce GT650M with energy saver turned off.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yes each launcher seems to make it's own save location, same thing with each install path

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    You can point the new launcher to your old install. I'm not at my computer otherwise I'd give you thorough instructions.

Reaction score
    You can point the new launcher to your old install. I'm not at my computer otherwise I'd give you thorough instructions.
    I guess that would work and I'll take the instructions when you get a minute. . . but now I am kind of obsessing over where this new launcher install/save location is. I've been searching for it. On a Mac, Java stuff like Minecraft and Starmade install into Library/Application support if I install them directly. There is a StarMade folder there but it only has a "Launcher" folder in it. I installed through Steam. With Steam, there is a Steam folder in Library/Application support and then the StarMade folder is a few levels deeper in. Library/Application support/steam/steamapps/common/StarMade. That folder is the only one I can find on my computer and it has my save in the "server database" folder.

There is an "import" option in game I thought I might use to bring in my save but when I click it everything just freezes and I need to force quit.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I guess that would work and I'll take the instructions when you get a minute. . . but now I am kind of obsessing over where this new launcher install/save location is. I've been searching for it. On a Mac, Java stuff like Minecraft and Starmade install into Library/Application support if I install them directly. There is a StarMade folder there but it only has a "Launcher" folder in it. I installed through Steam. With Steam, there is a Steam folder in Library/Application support and then the StarMade folder is a few levels deeper in. Library/Application support/steam/steamapps/common/StarMade. That folder is the only one I can find on my computer and it has my save in the "server database" folder.

There is an "import" option in game I thought I might use to bring in my save but when I click it everything just freezes and I need to force quit.
    With the new launcher, you can see and change the installation directory by pressing the cog, encircled in red.
    upload_2017-7-21_21-8-57.png

You may also be asking where the new launcher is installed, which with Steam should be in the same folder as Library/Application support/steam/steamapps/common/StarMade

Reaction score
    With the new launcher, you can see and change the installation directory by pressing the cog, encircled in red.
    View attachment 43295

You may also be asking where the new launcher is installed, which with Steam should be in the same folder as Library/Application support/steam/steamapps/common/StarMade

Thanks for showing the launcher path. It's even deeper in the steam folder than you said:
    Library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/Starmade/starmade-launcher.app.

Then I need to right click on the starmade-launcher.app and select "open package contents" and go: contents/MacOS/StarMade. THERE is the new folder.

It's in a hidden folder inside a hidden folder 10 levels deep in the Mac OS. No wonder my search wasn't working. Bundling it with the launcher app this way actually seems smart but the way it is placed in Steam is almost like someone never wants it found . . lol

Anyway. I moved my blueprints and save to that folder and all is well. Thank you.