1x1x2 wedge

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Like the ramps in space engineers? +1, but I'm not sure if they would WORK in the way blocks work in starmade.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Maybe not adding block which is 2 m long but two blocks which combined makes this type of wedge. Also block 0.5m high would nicely combine with this wedges.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I wonder if the game can support blocks that are larger than 1x1x1, or if the way blocks behave would have to be heavily re-written.

I think a better way to go about it is implement half blocks and half block wedges. That way you can get the effects of a 1x1x2 block, (half wedge and half wedge/half block stack) and other design possibilities that go along with 1/2 blocks. I don't see why it's not possible either. I'd guess it can use the transparency or whatever effect schema uses that wedges/corner/tetra/penta use so the player doesn't interact with the "empty" space.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What about new slope-creating mechanic? Choose a "add slope block", click on the block where you want to start an edge, click on the other block and voila, you can do whatever edges you want.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    We won't get blocks that take up more than a single meter but I would love to have half slabs but could you imagine all the potential new shapes we would need for this to work? You couldn't stack halves on each so you would need sloped lower half and sloped upper half, are we adding corners too? lower corner, upper corner, lower tetra, upper tetra, lower penta upper penta.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    We won't get blocks that take up more than a single meter but I would love to have half slabs but could you imagine all the potential new shapes we would need for this to work? You couldn't stack halves on each so you would need sloped lower half and sloped upper half, are we adding corners too? lower corner, upper corner, lower tetra, upper tetra, lower penta upper penta.
    if dodecahedron planets are possible so are 2 meter long blocks

Reactions: RedDragonflyxx

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    if dodecahedron planets are possible so are 2 meter long blocks
    Not really. Dodecahedron planets are just groups of entites shaped like short pentagonal prisms surrounding a large, non-block dodecahedron model... Nothing fancy going on, really.

...As of the original post... no, but half-blocks and half-block-wedges would be nice... I suppose we could get "half-wedge-blocks" (Basically full blocks with a half-block-wedge chopped out.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Not really. Dodecahedron planets are just groups of entites shaped like short pentagonal prisms surrounding a large, non-block dodecahedron model... Nothing fancy going on, really.

...As of the original post... no, but half-blocks and half-block-wedges would be nice... I suppose we could get "half-wedge-blocks" (Basically full blocks with a half-block-wedge chopped out.
    if 2 block long blocks are so complicated so are 0.5 blocks.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No, 1/2 blocks could already be done. We already have partial blocks in the form of slopes, there is no reason we couldn't have 1/2 blocks. They would work like very early minecraft slabs, though, not allowing another slab to be placed with it and whatnot.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Not literal half-blocks... just blocks with a model and collision boundry that takes up half of the full block volume. 2-block "blocks" are complicated because by definition a block takes up one block space in the block-array, regardless of how much of the ingame block volume is filled by the model or collision area. With double-blocks, things start to get strange... usually they have to be two separate blocks that are placed from one item, but that tends to be odd and glitchy sometimes. (Like Minecraft beds)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No, 1/2 blocks could already be done. We already have partial blocks in the form of slopes, there is no reason we couldn't have 1/2 blocks. They would work like very early minecraft slabs, though, not allowing another slab to be placed with it and whatnot.
    then it wouldn't be hard to simply extend the mesh

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think it could be possible, but would require more work to give the same results. Dividing this slope to 2 blocks (and adding half block) would also give these blocks additional uses.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    then why would it be hard to simply extend the mesh?
    What are you trying to say here? Why couldn't you just extend the mesh for half blocks --> full block? Or why couldn't you extend the mesh for 1x1x2 slopes? I don't think the game supports multi-block blocks. You could do something like what Minecraft has done, with the doors and tall grass and such, though.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think it could be possible, but would require more work to give the same results. Dividing this slope to 2 blocks (and adding half block) would also give these blocks additional uses.
    Yep. The second half of the halfslope could make for a passable console, for instance. Or a chair...

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What are you trying to say here? Why couldn't you just extend the mesh for half blocks --> full block? Or why couldn't you extend the mesh for 1x1x2 slopes? I don't think the game supports multi-block blocks. You could do something like what Minecraft has done, with the doors and tall grass and such, though.
    yes that's what i mean and because i know minecraft can do it so could starmade. the reason why i prefer the 2 block long blocks over half ones is because it will simply be its own block. on the other hand a half wedge could be a block for itself but that was not the point of this suggestion

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    yes that's what i mean and because i know minecraft can do it so could starmade. the reason why i prefer the 2 block long blocks over half ones is because it will simply be its own block. on the other hand a half wedge could be a block for itself but that was not the point of this suggestion
    Minecraft double-blocks are just two blocks that are programmed to be "codependent," so I figure that the two shapes are both useful on their own as well as together, and so might as well be seperate blocks, seeing as they have to be two blocks anyway.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Minecraft double-blocks are just two blocks that are programmed to be "codependent," so I figure that the two shapes are both useful on their own as well as together, and so might as well be seperate blocks, seeing as they have to be two blocks anyway.
    but i don't want to have to place so many blocks. placing slabs in minecraft are annoying so it would be better here to