11x11x11 Power Reactor Producing 104659.6

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I wanted to know what the baseline was, so I built a naive 11^3 reactor:

At merely 114k and a simple design, apparently alot can be gained by having similar-sized groups. 130k+? that is impressive.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So I gave it a few more tries and got 133,693 e/sec from this configuration:

Reaction score
    I figured out the pattern from your first pic and recreated it in game. It's a very efficient design Marduk, with very little wasted space. So far I've managed to get 118k with my own reactors but cant seem to break into the 120s yet. I think I'll have to rethink the patterns I'm using because with a twisted design things get messy toward the center.
    this might help make it easier, I build from the outside to the center first the core when it is right for this pattern should have space for 1 center cube, then building out the second section is not the same as the first. but the first section should make the second easier to follow.
    starmade-screenshot-0003.jpg starmade-screenshot-0004.jpg
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422643504,1422642843][/DOUBLEPOST]

I think that is the same pattern used for this one

http://starmadedock.net/threads/blade-falcon-power-core-460k-in-16x16x16-space-video.5059/

it is quite possibly the best, I need to test that one again for scaling.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    LOL! I wish i had seen that sooner. It would have saved me the headache of figuring it out myself :)

As far as scalability, It seems to me that you can scale it in any direction due to the pattern. I may hop back in game later to see how it will compare to the one in the video by bringing it up to 16^3. For reference they got 463,850 e/sec.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Personally, I don't really like using power reactor techniques, not even on fighters. My ships usually have odd shapes and rarely has cubic space to place those things, so I prefer to get the most I can from X,Y and Z inside the ship's specific shape.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    All I got from scaling it up was 457k. Probably because it was designed to have odd numbered dimensions. So, I built one to be even numbered and got 471k.

Personally, I don't really like using power reactor techniques, not even on fighters. My ships usually have odd shapes and rarely has cubic space to place those things, so I prefer to get the most I can from X,Y and Z inside the ship's specific shape.
    I never use them either, except for decoration but, I think its kind of fun to min/max them anyway.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

This seems to be the winning design here, I made a few tweaks and squeezed the power output to 133838.2. A tiny increase in power, I suspect the added 4 power modules drop the power per module so they may not even be worth it. I was also able to make a more efficient 7x7x25 design than my previous attempts. I didn't do the 6x6x31 as I just feel like avoiding even number sides. The design is extremely simple to reproduce in any size too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    In case anyone had any doubts about the scalability of these designs, I scaled them up until they broke the 1 mill mark. The odd dimensioned one broke it at 23^3 with 1,074,100 e/sec and the even dimensioned one broke it at 22^3 with 1,011,108 e/sec.

Reaction score
    In case anyone had any doubts about the scalability of these designs, I scaled them up until they broke the 1 mill mark. The odd dimensioned one broke it at 23^3 with 1,074,100 e/sec and the even dimensioned one broke it at 22^3 with 1,011,108 e/sec.

That beats mine I only hit 1063073 at 23^3 with 5985 reactors. I have seen a flaw in the building at the core. This one seems to be the best and eliminates the core all together.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422682108,1422679888][/DOUBLEPOST]any idea what i might have missed here? I tried that configuration for the 11^3 but I only got 127020,6 e/sec. Is there something in the core? because none of the lines seem to be broken when higlited
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422683416][/DOUBLEPOST]ok I got it now filled all the extra spaces between the two line sets.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    any idea what i might have missed here? I tried that configuration for the 11^3 but I only got 127020,6 e/sec. Is there something in the core? because none of the lines seem to be broken when higlited
    --- Updated post (merge), Yesterday at 11:50 PM --- ok I got it now filled all the extra spaces between the two line sets.
    Lol, yeah I filled in anywhere i could to get the most out of it. I also did it with the 16^3 one but, not the 22^3 and 23^3

This seems to be the winning design here, I made a few tweaks and squeezed the power output to 133838.2. A tiny increase in power, I suspect the added 4 power modules drop the power per module so they may not even be worth it.
    Where did you put those 4 blocks? I thought I had it optimized, but you still got some bonus power out of them. As far as efficiency goes I went with only placing blocks that would give me a bonus, however small, just to squeeze the most out of it. If I were to use them in a build I would probably fill those spaces with a more important module.

I was also able to make a more efficient 7x7x25 design than my previous attempts. I didn't do the 6x6x31 as I just feel like avoiding even number sides. The design is extremely simple to reproduce in any size too.
    I normally avoid even numbered sides also but, when I tried to convert the odd numbered one to even and scale it up to 16^3, like they had in the video, it turned out to be quite messy and forced me to make one from scratch to be even numbered. It turned out pretty good and seems to be comparably efficient.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Where did you put those 4 blocks? I thought I had it optimized, but you still got some bonus power out of them. As far as efficiency goes I went with only placing blocks that would give me a bonus, however small, just to squeeze the most out of it. If I were to use them in a build I would probably fill those spaces with a more important module.
    Assuming your reactor is like mine you have several spots where you fill empty space with single reactors. There are a few spots you can cross them onto adjacent reactors giving you ever so small of a power increase. It's not really efficient as you do backtrack into dimensions that the reactor already occupies so like I said you probably are better off without them as those 4 blocks stuck anywhere by themselves probably put out more juice.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    One thing i have to ask, is internal power turrets. I know we lose the bonus once we hit the cap. So to bypass this, i am experimenting with turrets that are internal, but are power blocks, constant supply power supply beams, and a few logic blocks.

so far, i am sucking at getting a good system going.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I feel like I am missing something here? Is this not basically a void subject unless you are planning on building a perfectly square ship that does very little else other than produce power...

If you have a normal shaped ship, even one that is small the issue is not fitting your power generation into a cube but the shape of your ship hull. therefore simply use very simple power lines that stretch to the longest dimensions of your ship.

All you are doing here is reducing the amount of space not filled with power blocks in an 11x11x11 space while maintaining 100% efficiency.
    which granted is maybe diverting and maybe an interesting maths problem but not necessarily a ship design problem..

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I feel like I am missing something here?
    No, you are missing nothing. Apparently in the early days of Starmade, square reactors were the thing, but that was changed long ago. Unless made very clear in the beginning of a thread, threads like these serve pretty much only to mislead newcomers and get them completely lost. I remember myself being completely mislead by exactly this sort of thing for two weeks after first getting into Starmade. (Thank you SO much for the hand holding Cybertao.)

Under no circumstances should anyone ever build a square reactor such as detailed here, unless they are doing it solely as an utterly pointless academic exercise. Optimum reactors should simply be three lines of reactors connecting to create a three dimensional X, extending the full length, height and width of one's ship. If that is not enough power, add extra similar 3D X's but make sure that none of the 3D X's touch one another. If you run out of space for 3D X'x and still need more power, make L's and T's, and finally just lines. The point is for each grouping of power reactors to have the maximum possible X,Y, & Z dimensions with the fewest power blocks. That is the entire trick to power reactors, you need know nothing more.

There is the subject of docked power reactors which one could get into, but that is a very advanced topic and used only for very large ships. You can comfortably ignore that for months while learning the other intricacies of the game.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    But this sort of thing is still relevant, due to the nature of docked reactors. Small blobs of systems docked to the ship and fire power supply beams via logic at the mothership. Docking spaces a square, so a reactor like this is actually quite useful.

I think the idea docked reactor size is ~300-500k per second (peak regen per block rate), so finding the smallest possible reactor setup to get this (plus supply beams. logic, and a few tanks for good measures) is actually beneficial to those that use docked reactors.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are no such thing as pointless academic exercises.

Guys I'm pretty sure everyone realises that its not the most "efficient" design but no one cares. Just leave them to it.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    This is actually pretty damn useful for docked reactor tech. Just a little fyi for those that think it's useless :P

Reaction score
    This is a great design, however, it requires a considerable amount of power modules. On my larger ships, I usually make the outline of a rectangular prism on the edges of say a hallway in the ship or a room, with opposing vertices void of power blocks. I usually get plenty of power regen for my missile bays and my laser cannons. However, I will be using an iteration of this reactor on my fighters from now on, since their power regen isn't great for heated battle. Many of my fighters go shieldless because of the prism design.

Reaction score
    What exactly are the laws of effeciency for reactors? I know grouping is a factor. Whats the most effizient capacitor/reactor ratio. What else aaffects it?