¿makes Build cube salvaging useless?

Reaction score
    Hi there,

Last day i've "discovered" that it's possible to put a build cube (or more) in an station or planet and then go inside and use the advanced build mode to remove cubes in thousands (10x10x10 in remove mode).

IMO this breaks the salvation cannons idea. I had a "miner" ship with 25 beams at a 0.23 rate and it's slower than the build cube technique.

Sadly, I've been triying to think in a solution but nothing great comes to my mind because a lot of them will break the idea of using a planet/station as base and start building in top of them.

¿What do you think?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Build cubes should only affect what \"YOU\" have placed and nothing before the build cube was placed that fix the issue.

Reaction score
    Then you\'ll not be able to terraform a planet to be your base ;)

And then, if you think about putting a faction module, the problem it\'s the same, I\'ll need two blocks, but I can \"eat\" a planet easily.

Reaction score
    one suggestion made in another thread was to have separate ship and personal inventory and cap the personal inventory.

could make the build blocks expensive and consumable, so they wear out after 10000 block or some value.

could limit the range of influence for the build block so it would only work some distance away from where it is placed.

Reaction score
    I too think the build block should have a limit on it\'s range. Allow it to only carve out a small-medium sized room. then it makes maintaining a base or town or city more modular. Another idea even is if that\'s implemented you could potentially have a way to save/load room blueprints out of a build block. I also agree with seperate inventories. right now I\'m finding the ability to hold 100k+ worth of mass in my back pocket kind of OP.

Also I\'d say that currently the advantage of salvage cannons is that there mindless. if you build a large enough salvager you can get over 1000 blocks a second. and clear a much wider area than a 10x10x10 cube

Reaction score
    Hi,

25 salvage cannons is extremely tiny. My last salvaging ship had a 2*115 grid of beams, where each beam was about 200 blocks (so about 86000 cannons total). It was wider than half the width of a space station; which meant I could salvage (from top to bottom) the left front side, then the right front, then the right back, then the left back; and consume an entire space station in 4 passes (it took about 5 minutes).

Of course then I tried to eat a few planets. They take a lot longer, and at 500-ish blocks wide I ended up doing 5 passes (at around 10 minutes per pass). That\'s when I decided to scrap my ship and build a 3*250 wide grid of salvaging beams, so I could eat a planet with 2 passes (I haven\'t finished this yet!).

Anyway, if you\'re only using 25 salvaging cannons then you\'re just not using enough (and getting out of your ship and trudging through space to plant a build block might be faster)...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Then you couldn\'t edit stations done by other players, neither other bases, the planet editing, etc.

Reaction score
    i am curious to know how you got so many salvage beams. if you catalogue cloned them then that is not an answer to the original question, since you would basically just be telling him one exploit is better than another.

if you collected all of them or made a factory then you have to account for the significant time it took to get them. as it is now you could get enough resources with build block mining in a short time to do a whole lot with just buying a block. Eating a planet in two passes is just for the fun of eating the planet, lets be honest.

Reaction score
    Hi,

To get the salvage cannons: I started buying them at shops at every possible chance and looted a few pirate stations, collecting for a (much smaller) ship. Then I built a space station/factory, scrapped the first ship and bought about 4 recipes. One of the recipes was really nice (2 brown paint for ingredients) so I kept it and sold the others.

Note 1: For default configuration, you need 5000 salvaging cannon blocks to buy a recipe. This is far too high to be sane; and (like a lot of things) is simply because the game is alpha and hasn\'t been balanced properly. My server is setup so that you only need 1000 blocks to buy a recipe.

To buy a recipe for brown paint you need plain old rock blocks (very easy to get if you\'ve been salvaging asteroids), so I bought about 30 recipes until I found one I like (7 ice for ingredients). Of course ice is also easy to get if you\'re salvaging asteroids/planets. This meant I had everything I needed to mass produce salvaging cannons in my factory.

Note 2: the more you use a recipe the more efficient it gets. This means that the recipe for brown paint got more efficient, and the recipe for salvaging cannons got more efficient. For example, instead of consuming 14 ice blocks to make 2 brown paint used to make 1 salvaging cannon (like when I started poduction), I think now I\'m consuming 14 ice blocks to make 16 brown paint (8 times more), and those 16 brown paint make 64 salvaging cannons instead.

Now; I\'m not saying that it\'s \"fast\" to get lots of salvaging cannons. I probably spent an entire week playing the game before I could mass produce huge quantities of them (collecting them from shops, building earlier salvaging ships, building my space station/factory, getting ingredients and recipes, etc). I\'m also not saying this is the only way (e.g. if you\'re on a multiplayer server, then someone else might have a factory and might sell you a huge quantity for almost nothing).

Reaction score
    I figured as much :). There is some period of time though that build block mining might be more time effective before you get enough salvage beams to make a recipe. I think probably once the economy is balanced better all of this discussion will be moot. If the game required more natural resources for recipes, planets were bigger, etc then maybe we would need giant salvage ships and this issue would mostly go away. I think. Interesting topic!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    perhaps the blocks harvested by the build cube should have a seperate inventory so you can only use the materials for that object unless they where blocks you place then it would go into your own inventory so you can use the matarial for other things making salvage lasers still functional

Reaction score
    make something 100x50x50, salvage cannons running 100 blocks long, minimal power to run thrusters, fill that whole thing up and that will beat a build block

Reaction score
    on the server i play on, a VERY rich guy has billions of credits and factory enhancers sell for 1mil each at his shop. the enhancer are usually low. so i traded 35k factory enhancers (from another trade) for a bunch of stuff. Right now its 2mil enhancers 200k salvage cannons. easy planet muncher