Zero shields no longer pause regen....

Reaction score
    The thread title states it all. After extensive testing, dropping a target ship's shields to zero no longer seems to result in a pause in shield regeneration that was there previously. I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but do not see a change in any patch notes, and have not seen the issue stated elsewhere on these forums.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Here I was thinking there was something weird about weapons testing only in my singleplayer client.

Yeah, I've noticed that shield regen starts nearly immediately rather than being down for ten or so seconds, in my singleplayer testing environment. It's bizarre.

Reaction score
    Here I was thinking there was something weird about weapons testing only in my singleplayer client.

Yeah, I've noticed that shield regen starts nearly immediately rather than being down for ten or so seconds, in my singleplayer testing environment. It's bizarre.
    I've tested this with two entities, both within 50 meters of each other, and located dead center in the middle of a sector. Single player or multiplayer, the problem persists. Here is what I've done:

Entity A is nothing more than a massive self powered testing weapon. It fires large alternating arrays of shield drains and power drains which eliminate the 8 million shields and 188 million power of Entity B in about 20 seconds and 5 seconds respectively. These two fire non-stop, and as they each consist of 2 separate arrays, alternating logic fired, there is no/little pause. I also added a cannon/cannon/overdrive array (small...about 10 blocks each) that also continuously fires on Entity B. On top of these three arrays, I have a single cannon/cannon/pierce and a single missile/cannon/explosive. Both of these are large enough to punch through a small capital class ship nearly instantly.

What happens is this: The power drain beams eliminate Entity B's reserves extremely quickly and vastly overpowers it's regen. The shield drain finishes off the shields a few seconds later. If I have the small cannon/cannon/overdrive turned OFF....Entity B shield regen will continuously stay engaged (even though it also has NO power, lol). If I have the small cannon/cannon/overdrive turned ON....Entity B shield regen WILL pause for the 10 seconds, but will resume! even though it is being massacred continuously by not only the small c/c/o array, but the cannon/cannon/pierce, AND the missile/cannon/explosive arrays.

This would appear to be broken? =)

Winterhome

Reaction score
    It's supposed to resume after 10 seconds anyway, no matter what. The issue I've been seeing is that it generally doesn't actually pause regen for 10 seconds unless you get really, really lucky.

TBB

Reaction score
    I've noticed this also. It's been there before the last update. I never reported it though. It's easy to forget and get used to it if you're coming back after a while.
    I am sure of this because I always test carriers by fighting it with bombers and fighters. Every time my shield goes back to zero and it never really is a problem if you're able to pull back (which makes fighters OP because of continues volleys and immediate regeneration).

Reaction score
    It's supposed to resume after 10 seconds anyway, no matter what. The issue I've been seeing is that it generally doesn't actually pause regen for 10 seconds unless you get really, really lucky.
    Active shield regen is not supposed to resume if shields are at zero and the entity is still taking damage. Especially if the entity in question would be sucked back to zero shields instantly by the amount of firepower decimating it.... =)

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Active shield regen is not supposed to resume if shields are at zero and the entity is still taking damage. Especially if the entity in question would be sucked back to zero shields instantly by the amount of firepower decimating it.... =)
    It's supposed to attempt to resume (because the entity is technically not taking shield damage for those ten seconds), but it generally gets smacked straight back down again by any further shield damage, since the remaining shields are generally very, very low.

Reaction score
    It's supposed to attempt to resume (because the entity is technically not taking shield damage for those ten seconds), but it generally gets smacked straight back down again by any further shield damage, since the remaining shields are generally very, very low.

Ahhh....I understand what you're saying now...thanks for the clarification. I'll have to modify my test cannon to provide a steady stream of ion or overdrive cannons to ensure the shields don't tick past me, as the main weaponry at that point (after the shield drainers that is) is 100% pierce, which if my memory serves, would be zero shield damage?

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Ahhh....I understand what you're saying now...thanks for the clarification. I'll have to modify my test cannon to provide a steady stream of ion or overdrive cannons to ensure the shields don't tick past me, as the main weaponry at that point (after the shield drainers that is) is 100% pierce, which if my memory serves, would be zero shield damage?
    Yeah, 100% piercing does zero shield damage.