Your favourite server/block settings and rules (not just post your fav servers!)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Personally, I like servers with a high speed limit, because it is easier to visit allies and ship builds differ a lot more from each other.

I really enjoyed SunWorld\'s warp gates, but having only one per unhabitated sector puts a lot of limits on multi-directional warp nodes.

I like the extreme - very high dampening for the average travel-speed (no matter if it is warp or sublight).

The separation into sublight and warp provides some balancing advantages: you can not be perfect in both!

And so does a inertial overlap too. If there are shield hardeners vs not-short range weapons and low-weight ships fly in a relative speed to heavier ships (with smooth math), you would suddently see fighters be worthwile (but let this be another topic).

I think that would be perfect:

• upload and buy blueprints with blocks
    • low shop currency and spawning (most things should be made by players).
    • block-config:

no build block available - for advanced build mode, dock a \"station\"-ship onto your home-planet. To rotate blocks, use a ship\'s adv.build mode and don\'t change your hotkey-bar-selection before placing it.
    • expensive salvage beams
    • very cheap deko (50-150 credits) with 25 hp.
    • power has 40, thrust/shield 70 hp (or all 70) - Get hull :)
    • Rock, Red Rock and minerals have same effective hp as basic hull.
    • Water, Leaves, Sand and fluffy-snow are not physical (walk-through), so you can hide something behind (RP) - at least 1 block type per planet type and liquids.
    • Hull costs 50 credits and has 125 hp, 25% armour. Advanced hull costs 1000, has 185 hp, 85% armor.
    • Military hull costs 100\'000\'000 credits (shops should not own that much), have 195 hp, 95% armor (3* advanced hull) - if you get it, you most likely killed a space patrol and are on their bounty list.

[*]No credits punishment, but block punishment (Better use Plex-Storages on escape ships if you want to carry blocks through unsafe territory)
    [*]high speed + high dampening (somewhere around 500 and 23%)
    [*]Public gate-network protected by military-grade patrols/turrets, rarer in sectors further away from spawn.
    [*]Additive and lower projectile velocity, but high accuracy on AIs (encurage use of small-to-medium ships and dogfighting as much as possible).

Rules:

• A zone (everything from -5 -5 -5 to -x -x -x) dedicated for PvP (-5 -20), combat/pirates (-32 to -x) and war-faction\'s bases (-50 to -x)
    • A protected zone (spawn and within +5 +5 +5 to +32 +32 +32) dedicated for RolePlaying and trading. No salvaging allowed! Stations only allowed/protected in sectors with even numbers (reduces lag).
    • A zone from (+50 to +x for cooperating faction\'s home) - no griefing, etc.
    • Cooperating and war factions may be enemies, but you should fly around the RP zone if you attack!
    • No home bases and active turrets within 1 Solsystem (16 sectors) from spawn. Also forbidden from -32 -32 -32 to spawn and spawn to +32 +32 +32.

If/where possible:

• pirate-sectors: highly optimized and small-pirate groups (few to salvage -25 to -x)

maybe pirate-claimed planets with big, non-editable turrets (starting at -75)...
    • no shops and ship editing/buying in pirate sectors

[*]limited usable salvage beams per ship=player (use something like non-editable pirate-station turrets - but currently it\'s a bug, I know :) ) to make a real-player\'s value bigger. (what do you want to be worth more? a 24/7 AI or a player?)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I saw

http://multibox-gaming.de/star-made/serverrules-serverregeln/

http://multibox-gaming.de/star-made/regeln-zum-buildblock-%28bb%29/

and I agree.

But I don't want to play on a pure role-play server, miss examples where the author/players see the boundary of "powerming" or not and - like everywhere - miss some info about server-config (dampening, shop settings...).

Would it not be good to have an overview over player's favourite rules and server settings?

Once, if somebody is vacillating about the details, he will know what the community desires the most and may provide what we want. Somebody with experience and who belive in players playing, staff remaining active and balance to improve + has experience with modding StarMade :)

Post your favourite server/block settings/configs and rules here (and maybe 1-3 links to the server(s) which you think match it best).

General Rule: Please keep your post below 2x your screen height.

What do you think/like?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think the server I\'ve joined recently has done some interesting things. It is \'RP\', but the system settings are what make it nice.

There is increased drag, making larger ships far slower, and unable to make top speed without lots of engines (and thus giving up space for other systems). Top speed of 75 means smaller ships can go faster and reach a higher speed than a huge battleship.

Basic Hull has its HP and damage reduction buffed, and the Armored hull received the same. AMC weapons have a huge cost increase, and damage decrease (so they aren\'t the end-all weapon they currently are). Shields also have huge cost increase, making them not as viable for smaller ships. This in turn makes missile systems more viable as a damage factor, as shields are not going to be nearly as prevailent.

But of course, that doesn\'t mean a thing without the RP element. Otherwise people would just buff up their ships all that much more and ignore the limits put down.

Reaction score
    Hi,

My rules:

1) No \"mods\". This game is alpha (too early to start modding it). It\'s hard enough for Schema to find/fix bugs without creating \"buggy mods\". They are a form of \"vendor lockin\" (e.g. prevent players from switching to a different server if they get sucked in an rely on the mod); and they give a player\'s enemies an unfair advantage if the player is smart enough to avoid \"\"vendor lockin\".

2) Server speed set sane (e.g. between 100 and 200). Anything slower than 100 is too slow. Anything higher than 200 causes too much lag (e.g. fly at top speed for 10 minutes, then spend 8 minutes waiting for radar to catch up).

3) Recipe prices sane (e.g. 1 block). The economy is severely broken, and requiring 4000 blocks of ice just for a piece of paper describing how to create ice is not going to fix that (and will only make me hate your server and make players destroy/salvage entire planets).

4) Spawn sector protected. Give the newbies half a chance...

5) Enemy spawning enabled. Give people something to do other than fighting amongst themselves.

6) Physics linear and rotational dampening increased to about 5. This just helps performance a little (things stop moving sooner) and helps \"Ooops, I pressed \'r\' while going at max. speed\".

7) Turning dimension scale boosted slightly. The turn rate of large ships is a stupid hack in the name of \"game balance\" that only exists to make up for lacking features (turning thrusters, fuel) and punishes medium/large ships too much.

8) Kick on modified blueprint. Doing nothing allows deliberate abuse, but bans are unfair for accidents.

9) NPC shop recharge credits increased. Shops suck badly at the moment (out of credits far too easily). This helps.

10) \"projectile additive velocity\" enabled. It\'s just more realistic.

11) \"ignore docking area\" disabled. People have had long enough to fix their docking area sizes and nobody likes a goliath docked onto an ant.

12) Upload (and download) to local catalogue enabled. It\'s the only way people can restore a backup of their work if your server disappears or gets wiped (or if they\'re switching from a different server to your server); and only a fool would bother creating anything decent if they can\'t create and restore a backup of it, especially when servers are using alpha code.

13) Catalogue slots per player set sane. Anything less than 10 is stupid - players will continually \"re-upload from local\" and waste bandwidth if this is set too low.

14) \"Lock faction ships\" enabled. No point having factions if they mean nothing.

15) Max clients set sane. To determine \"sane\" monitor your server\'s CPU and network usage during peak periods. If your server can only handle 20 people connected at the same time, then don\'t let 50 people log in and make the server unusable for everyone.

I think that covers most of it :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1) ... They are a form of \"vendor lockin\" (e.g. prevent players from switching to a different server if they get sucked in an rely on the mod) ...

Sometimes. But isn\'t an unique speed/dampening setting partially the same? (Ships need to be redesigned/adjusted for it)

Sometimes - like warp gates on sunworld (teleports players if they say \"warp\" close to a gate station), or the !stuck command (gives you 1 of 3 cores per day) of the-rebel-alliance is not a \"vendor lockin\". I just want to know how they did it :)

8) Kick on modified blueprint. Doing nothing allows deliberate abuse, but bans are unfair for accidents.

I once got kicked because I bought something from Availabe.

13) Catalogue slots per player set sane. Anything less than 10 is stupid - players will continually \"re-upload from local\" and waste bandwidth if this is set too low.

Agree. Unfurtunately Sun-world and The-rebel-alliance (both with many players) set standards.

What do you think about buy-with-blocks?.