You ever accidentally rip off a pre existing design?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I started playing about a week ago. After getting My backside shot to pieces by pirates and losing not only My first few "starter" ships, but My prospecting ship, I decided to make an actual, dedicated attack ship. My first one was a bit of a failure, as I still had no idea just how powerful those Isanth VI pirate ships were, and I was still learning how to build, so I started building a second attack ship.

There was no real plan in mind as to how it would look. I needed something that could fight off an Isanth VI, or at least live long enough against one to learn how they worked. Function would dictate form, as it were.

So I came up with a large cannon under the belly of the ship, two large missile systems on the sides, a "battle bridge" sticking out of the front, two large engines, Etc. A few days after it's completion, I decided I needed more suppression / shield breaking firepower, so after a few hours of tinkering, I added four twin-ten block cannon systems to the sides, yadda yadda yadda.

Again, function was dictating form..... Or so I thought.

Last night I was in the hanger, admiring the awesomeness that was My Attacker02M2 Gunship "Mr. Nope".

And then it hit Me. It hit Me like a shovel to the face.

I Made the SA-77 Silpheed Tactical Fighter's seriously overweight cousin.

The twin engines sticking out the back like a "Y", The under-slung heavy weapon, the four smaller weapon pods on the upper and lower left / right sides, the cockpit location... All it needs are the fins and wings, and I'd have the fattyfattyboombatty model of the Silpheed....... I hate My subconscious so much right now.

This ever happen to anybody else? Ever build something you thought was unique, and then go "Hey, isn't that from..... OH FORSHITSSAKE!"

Reaction score
    Considering the sheer number of spaceships out there, its kinda hard to make something that does not resemble another ship in some way or form.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I don\'t really see enough of a similarity between your ship and the photo provided to say it\'s a rip off. I do like your ship though, it looks good.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a knack for coming up with stuff that\'s already a thing... Even the word feace was already a thing...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The majority of us draw from the same sci-fi sources so there\'s definitely going to be similarities, especially on small fighters. I\'m playing Starmade just as I play Minecraft. Build what feels right at the time while stealing ideas drawing inspiration from ships others have made in the community. I take what I like and drop what I don\'t, gradually my own sense of style will show through.