XavLogic: 5 block infinite input (high pulse) toggle

Reaction score
    This is the smallest possible toggle I could come up with after quite a bit of trial and error. It consists of an OR which is the input that is linked to a SvenCell™ (AND/OR memory cell) and a NAND. So 5 blocks. Either block of SvenCell™ becomes your output as that cell toggles its state.

The wiring from top to bottom:

The top is just resetting high pulse limiters. I'm a big fan of using nothing but these as inputs for everything I do as it makes it really easy to keep track of what going on in my circuits. I've wired these into a single OR block.

That OR block is the input for the toggle circuit. Because it's an OR, it can have as many inputs as you want to give it. It is important that you use nothing but pulses as any constant on signal will lock it into the on state as well. The OR is wired into the OR of the SvenCell™ and the AND of the NAND cell.

The SvenCell™ is the OR/AND block. They are wired into each other. The OR block can only turn the cell on, and the AND block can only turn it off. The AND of the SvenCell™ is wired into the AND of the NAND cell.

The NAND cell is what toggles the SvenCell™. The NOT of the NAND is wired back into the AND of the SvenCell™ to turn it off. Because the AND in the NAND has two inputs, it only turns on if both a signal is received from the input OR and the AND of the SvenCell™ at which point it sends a signal to the NOT which in turn sends a signal to the AND of the SvenCell™ turning off that cell off.

This 5-block circuit can be used anywhere you need a toggle with multiple potential inputs.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Awesome job. I knew there was a way to compact the T-Flip-flop using the SvenCell™ as you called it. I never actually use t-flip-flops so it wasn't high on my priority list.

The AND in the SvenCell™ is your best bet for output as it's consistent and instant with the input.
    The OR has a delay going from high to low.

Reaction score
    Awesome job. I knew there was a way to compact the T-Flip-flop using the SvenCell™ as you called it. I never actually use t-flip-flops so it wasn't high on my priority list.

The AND in the SvenCell™ is your best bet for output as it's consistent and instant with the input.
    The OR has a delay going from high to low.
    Ya, I've noticed the delays. Because they are consistent, you can actually use them in your circuits reliably.

I started working on this after watching your video and watching Bench make a JK flip-flop, and realizing that while toggles are useful, those circuits are as big as Minecraft circuits, and dangit, this game is set in the future so we should have advanced our tech beyond the massive Minecraft redstone days. (also, why you'd ever want a true JK flip-flop in Starmade is beyond me)

As for uses, I like having multiple inputs to systems on my stations. If ship crews ever become viable, it'd be useful there as well as you could build dedicated rooms for systems (okay, I admit I already do that just for aesthetics) along with an activator in your core room. I also suspect I'll find uses for this when rails get added.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424719830,1424719186][/DOUBLEPOST]
    *Busts in to burst the bubble*
    I know the drawing is shitty, but…it came first.(I don't like the delays either, but they are necessary in order to have the system work regardless of how the blocks update(inconsistent block updates screw any other T-flipflops I have encountered so far)
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/t-flipflop-logic-tutorial.1527/
    Ppppppbbbbtttttt!

Mine's smaller, easier to build, doesn't need delays, and the only thing that screws it up is constant on signals. If you want protection from that, you can just use a pulse limiter wired before the OR as your input instead which would only add 4 blocks. But since you're usually signals from other circuits, it's not likely to be that big of a problem.

And I did look at your drawing and built your circuit when I was coming up with this the same as I watched Sven's and Bench's videos. I'm also really, really familiar with building toggles in Minecraft (2 pistons, 1 redstone torch in a hole, one stone block back and forth over the redstone torch ftw!). Your circuit works which is really the goal of any circuit, but again, mine is easier, and it works too.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    *Busts in to burst the bubble*
    I know the drawing is shitty, but…it came first.(I don't like the delays either, but they are necessary in order to have the system work regardless of how the blocks update(inconsistent block updates screw any other T-flipflops I have encountered so far)
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/t-flipflop-logic-tutorial.1527/
    At this point the name of the game is being the smallest or easiest to build.

Ya, I've noticed the delays. Because they are consistent, you can actually use them in your circuits reliably.
    I meant consistent as high to low is delayed and low to high isn't. This is not consistent. They are stable and will always act this way so sure you can take advantage of it in another circuit if you need instant on delayed off.

I started working on this after watching your video and watching Bench make a JK flip-flop, and realizing that while toggles are useful, those circuits are as big as Minecraft circuits, and dangit, this game is set in the future so we should have advanced our tech beyond the massive Minecraft redstone days. (also, why you'd ever want a true JK flip-flop in Starmade is beyond me)
    I've never used a JK before in Minecraft and have no idea why one would be preferred over T. The reason I called my series Practical Logic is because these are the very circuits I will be using in my builds, circuits that everybody can take advantage of. Of course I do have proprietary stuff such as my running lights that I would only do a tutorial on that if somebody specifically wanted to use the same pattern. (Two blinks then a delay: half second on, half second off, half second on, one and a half seconds off )

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Mine's smaller, easier to build, doesn't need delays, and the only thing that screws it up is constant on signals.
    I agree that yours is smaller and thus easier to build, but currently I'm sure I'll be able to break it just by placing the blocks in a different manner.(without changing the actual connections)
    At this point the name of the game is being the smallest or easiest to build.
    True, but only if the function isn't changed, or can be compromised by placing the blocks in a different arrangement without changing the actual circuit.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I agree that yours is smaller and thus easier to build, but currently I'm sure I'll be able to break it just by placing the blocks in a different manner.(without changing the actual connections)

True, but only if the function isn't changed, or can be compromised by placing the blocks in a different arrangement without changing the actual circuit.
    Schema is a smart man and the game obviously has protection built into it to prevent runaway infinite loops like this circuit otherwise would have. Will it actually ever break? Who knows, but let me know if you find out because that is valuable information.

Reaction score

I've built it in lots of arrangements. Then, after your post, I built it in just about every arrangement you can with five boxes. My personal favorite is now OR-(AND-NOT)-(AND-OR) because it's a straight line with the input at one end and the output at the other. I've stacked them in two rows horizontally and vertically and arranged the blocks so they're in various relations versus galactic north. I was doing this on a server that I have about 80ms latency with so that didn't interfere either. It's solid.

One thing I forgot to put in the original description, but is more than a bit important is that the memory cell has to be on before you hook in the NAND. Otherwise, the cell is locked out because you cannot directly charge the NOT block and therefore, the AND won't have its second input high. If we're ever allowed to directly activate NOT blocks, that'll quit being necessary. In the meantime if you miss that, just unhook the NOT from the SvenCell™, send an input to toggle it, then hook the NOT back in.

But other than that, it does not break. I've gone nuts rapid clicking the input and while the circuit can't go faster than game updates, when you stop spam clicking, it's happily in whatever random state you left it and ready to be used properly.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424733065,1424731445][/DOUBLEPOST]One more thing, if you want another stable small cell, but which doesn't have the need to charge the memory when building, you can do it using an OR for input that wires into a pair of AND's which are crosswired into an RSNOR. So, 7 blocks total.

When I say crosswire, the AND goes into the OR on one side of the RSNOR (normal input of an RSNOR) and the NOT of the otherside runs back into it. Create the same thing on the other side of the RSNOR and tada!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've built it in lots of arrangements. Then, after your post, I built it in just about every arrangement you can with five boxes. My personal favorite is now OR-(AND-NOT)-(AND-OR) because it's a straight line with the input at one end and the output at the other. I've stacked them in two rows horizontally and vertically and arranged the blocks so they're in various relations versus galactic north. I was doing this on a server that I have about 80ms latency with so that didn't interfere either. It's solid.

One thing I forgot to put in the original description, but is more than a bit important is that the memory cell has to be on before you hook in the NAND. Otherwise, the cell is locked out because you cannot directly charge the NOT block and therefore, the AND won't have its second input high. If we're ever allowed to directly activate NOT blocks, that'll quit being necessary. In the meantime if you miss that, just unhook the NOT from the SvenCell™, send an input to toggle it, then hook the NOT back in.

But other than that, it does not break. I've gone nuts rapid clicking the input and while the circuit can't go faster than game updates, when you stop spam clicking, it's happily in whatever random state you left it and ready to be used properly.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424733065,1424731445][/DOUBLEPOST]One more thing, if you want another stable small cell, but which doesn't have the need to charge the memory when building, you can do it using an OR for input that wires into a pair of AND's which are crosswired into an RSNOR. So, 7 blocks total.

When I say crosswire, the AND goes into the OR on one side of the RSNOR (normal input of an RSNOR) and the NOT of the otherside runs back into it. Create the same thing on the other side of the RSNOR and tada!
    The way I've been "directly charging" my NOT blocks is I place an activator, link it to the NOT, toggle it, delete it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    seems to be direction independent so yeah i like it... directionindependent.jpg
    all of those work so hmm looks good still be carefull because the update order bugs might strike at any time.