X11 Bug

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Getting this error again on server restart. Belive its trying to write to a monitor again...linux headless server....

thanks in advance.

Also map(universe) has been running awhile, is it worth resetting?

No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
    at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)
    at java.awt.Window.(Window.java:535)
    at java.awt.Frame.(Frame.java:420)
    at javax.swing.JFrame.(JFrame.java:218)
    at d.a(SourceFile:47)
    at jg.run(SourceFile:802)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am running a dedicated linux server and ran into this very issue. I had setup a separate user so that my StarMade server was not running as root. What I had not realized is that I ran it as root and the second time around on starting my server that some of the files were not accessible by my starmade user, so it would fail to this message.

Go to your starmade directory and do an ls -li and see if any of the users are anything besides the user you set it up with. If they are, chmod the files to the ownership of previous user for all files, then restart your server and you should be gravy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As you\'ve probably guessed X11 is graphics. The only problem is its so old (since MS-DOS to be precise) that it has \'wobblies\', even if nogui is used. This problem you have though is no big deal, I have also received this error on an old computer, which I just installed Ubuntu on and a few gigs of RAM.

First, you\'ll want to ignore the StarMade.jar (just worry about it when there\'s updates) and focus on running the script file \'StarMade-dedicated-server-linux.sh\'

Next, you\'ll want to make that script executable! you can do this through either filezilla or through the command \"chmod ug+x /path/to/starmade/StarMade-dedicated-server-linux.sh\"

Now install screen (if you haven\'t already installed it) \"sudo apt-get install screen\" and make a new screen called \'StarMade\' through the command \"screen -R StarMade\", press enter and type in the command \"./StarMade-dedicated-server-linux.sh\" to run the server. That should download the files which are needed

Finally to leave the screen hold down CTRL+A+D, to return to the screen \"screen -r StarMade\" and to shutdown the server CTRL+C

Note to shutdown server using CTRL+C, you must be in the screen