Would a Modding API for the AI be a good idea?

Reaction score
    So a general mod API for every game aspect might not be easy to do.

But.

Would it be possible to give us and maintain a modding API for the AI?
    I mean in this case: missiles, fleet, turrets, docking for fleets.

I know that letting players make the AI can lead to very unperformant results, that maybe lag the game too much.

On the other hand maybe you developers like to give out at least some work into the community.

A complete modding API might not be within the scope of an alpha. But maybe it's something worth investing into when it comes to AI.

Why? Because of unexpected results. If this game had a modding API for AI, it would be the first that actively encourages its community to participate into that.

Yes for example Minecraft allows modders to change the AI. The results are not the best, but they are interesting. Another example is Space Engineers where fleets work via an ingame realtime script language - super inefficient (its not an API its just putting text into ingame terminals).

And no the results of booth games that allow AI influencing are not great. But: Minecraft has a very complicated AI modding. And Space Enginners doesn't really let players mod, it only lets them script via an ingame language, interpretted over a second level.

If Starmade would try to provide such API it could be lead to very unexpected results, because it would be the first game (besides small 2d games without that "big" scope of a sandbox universe with tons of entities). It would be unique. You know what comes with uniqueness? A ton of coders that just waited for this opportunity.

I just don't know if it's possible for the game code, as I know that AI needs many ingame information and maintaining an API to all the data could be unrealistic for alpha development. But maybe it's not, because "only" an API for the AI is not a very big task? Anyway I wanted to ask.

Have a good day everyone.