Work Around for Undo Paste Crash?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, I'm working on parts of a station that are just huge amounts of precise copy/paste work, so I'm hitting this bug CONSTANTLY now.

It isn't consistent, so I'm wondering if anyone has spotted a pattern to it yet that can be exploited to avoid it until it can be fixed?

For those that haven't had the pleasure of running into it yet, there is a bug currently where if you undo a Paste in build mode, it throws a null pointer reference and crashes Java. I've had it crash me so badly it required a reboot... more than once...]

Reaction score
    Every time it crashed on me was when I undo-ed while the blocks were still loading in. Maybe that causes it, or maybe I was just lucky (and not using paste option for long enough). If undo-ing too fast causes it, you could just wait for a second or two, but again my premise could be entirely wrong since I have not done any research on the subject.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I thought the problem was also not waiting for blocks to unload too but now I'm almost certain that this is not the case. I've had crashes from undoing a single block with plenty of time to load.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, I can confirm that all blocks have loaded when I hit Undo and it crashes. Usually because the blocks have loaded, I'm looking around, and I realize I was one off in my control block (what I call the free floating block you usually have to put down to paste onto, because you can't actually pick where your copy point starts from for some reason, which is incredibly annoying).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    the priority is tagged as "release blocker" which sounds pretty important
    It means that - theoretically anyway - it has to be fixed before the next release.

Although the shipyard bug where docked entities would pop off wasn't fixed for like four releases (just got a fix last release) with that priority tag...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That its tagged as a release blocker is good, means it'll get fixed ASAP, but for the time being I think that "Undo when insufficient blocks" is the key workaround I was looking for. Based on what I remember, it does seem to fit the pattern, and it trying to undo block placements that aren't there sounds like prime ground for a null error to occur.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I've only had this happen once, but obviously I am not doing the large amount of pasting that Edymnion is.

What happened in my case was that I ran out of blocks so the object was incomplete. Tried to undo and ended up staring at my desktop. I was pasting Bench's USD, and I'd run out of some of the logic blocks.

Not sure if it's helpful but that's my only experience with that particular crash.