Width does not affect turning

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Have people seriously not caught on to this?

Length 1, Height 1, Width 500 ships turn as smooth as cores. Proof: take 3 minutes to test it right now in sandbox.

Get over the Borg already.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Wide ships cannot roll.
    Most people don't care to roll often, and if they do, they can swing to one side, pitch up or down, and swing back, to be in a new rolled position.

"B Wings in attack formation!"

Reaction score
    Well, this is a disturbing observation. Especially as I've noticed an abundance of 2-dimensional (ie. "flat") ship designs resembling airplanes. "Soft" evidence of just how weak the whole ship movement system is. (I'll refrain from opining further...)

It may indicate, however, that a "fix" is not nearly as complicated as it's portrayed to be.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the formula currently isn't merely dimension based. Mass accounts as well.

Schine post rotation formula pls.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I dont think they plan on doing any kind of easy fix, especially with this thread sticky'd: http://starmadedock.net/threads/thrust-mechanics-explained.2696/

I think they plan on doing away with the current system entirely, and replacing it with a completely new turning and thrust system, but until that system is fleshed out, we have ships that can abuse turning radius by making 1 dimension very thin.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    wide ships are the new Borg ships.
    I haven't seen them yet :)

I only discovered this a couple weeks ago during a re-build of my super-econo micro scout. I've built a few small fighters and frigates incorporating bar-shapes, and one gigantic single-line "ship" 600 wide just to see how far the dynamic carries.