Why do support beams now need secondary systems?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'm really just curious as to what rationale was behind the change to require support beams to need secondary systems to improve their refresh. The change has ruined every support vessel I own, and I really don't know that anyone found the system to be unbalanced in the first place.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    power supply and shield supply beams need to become more powerful

Last edited:

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    power supply and shield supply beams do it to become more powerful
    *more efficient.

Schema needed to unify the weapon and support systems. It didn't make much sense for weapons to use the new system and for the support beams to use the old.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Astrotechnician actually shows a red message when trying to connect a cannon computer to it
    So the only firing mode is half of the time on half of the time cooldown and quite lame
    Either make it work with cannon computer so we can fire it constantly, or set a proper firing mode to this kind of utility "weapon", so we don't need the complex combo system that is good only with the weapons

I just used one of my repair ship today but it was really slower than just replacing the blocks by hand because I had to replace some who were totally destroyed, whatever.
    So it should at least be functionnal

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Astrotechnician actually shows a red message when trying to connect a cannon computer to it
    So the only firing mode is half of the time on half of the time cooldown and quite lame
    Either make it work with cannon computer so we can fire it constantly, or set a proper firing mode to this kind of utility "weapon", so we don't need the complex combo system that is good only with the weapons

I just used one of my repair ship today but it was really slower than just replacing the blocks by hand because I had to replace some who were totally destroyed, whatever.
    So it should at least be functionnal
    That is a bug. It should have been reported already, but I'm kind of toomlazy to check that right now.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm really just curious as to what rationale was behind the change to require support beams to need secondary systems to improve their refresh. The change has ruined every support vessel I own, and I really don't know that anyone found the system to be unbalanced in the first place.
    Just updating support systems to be in line with the rest of the controller system. Previously you could use salvage beams as normal but a slaved cannon would actual super charge the beam making it mine faster and take less power. This was a bug, this has been fixed. Ships needing to be refit is one of the dangers of early access I have had all my ships rendered out of date by several updates. The weapons update made any ship with guns obsolete and the shield rechargers made every previous ship obsolete and not just salvages... unless it didn't have shields. I recently went back and refit my salvagers for the new system and 2/3 accepted their new slave without issue. The third had such a large fast array it didn't even bother me that it would fire in bursts and replacing beam modules for cannons would mess up the ships aesthetic.

This system also caters to more style of play as you can have long range beams and split beams as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Just updating support systems to be in line with the rest of the controller system. Previously you could use salvage beams as normal but a slaved cannon would actual super charge the beam making it mine faster and take less power. This was a bug, this has been fixed. Ships needing to be refit is one of the dangers of early access I have had all my ships rendered out of date by several updates. The weapons update made any ship with guns obsolete and the shield rechargers made every previous ship obsolete and not just salvages... unless it didn't have shields. I recently went back and refit my salvagers for the new system and 2/3 accepted their new slave without issue. The third had such a large fast array it didn't even bother me that it would fire in bursts and replacing beam modules for cannons would mess up the ships aesthetic.

This system also caters to more style of play as you can have long range beams and split beams as well.
    Yeah, but this change seemed like it was fixing something that wasn't broke. Overhauling the weapon system brought a lot of needed diversity to weapons. Overhauling the support beams does nothing other than obsolete all existing ships.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah, but this change seemed like it was fixing something that wasn't broke. Overhauling the weapon system brought a lot of needed diversity to weapons. Overhauling the support beams does nothing other than obsolete all existing ships.
    There are plenty of people who make that same argument for the old cannon system, they hated the change and some even still request the old system back. Sure having old ships rendered obsolete can be frustrating, try building a new ship with the new systems, I find it rather rewarding to build something fresh when I get burned out trying to update my catalog.

Also give survival a try if you have not. The current system also adds some progression to the game. When you first start out the salvager you can build is kind of crap and you have to work toward something better. Even though you can start with a rapid salvager day 1 it takes time to upgrade as cannon modules are harder to obtain then salvage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    There are plenty of people who make that same argument for the old cannon system, they hated the change and some even still request the old system back. Sure having old ships rendered obsolete can be frustrating, try building a new ship with the new systems, I find it rather rewarding to build something fresh when I get burned out trying to update my catalog.

Also give survival a try if you have not. The current system also adds some progression to the game. When you first start out the salvager you can build is kind of crap and you have to work toward something better. Even though you can start with a rapid salvager day 1 it takes time to upgrade as cannon modules are harder to obtain then salvage.
    Ew. Just, ew. I hated the lack of weaponry we had, and no matter how large your turret, they always fired little pew pew pellets. It was just silly.

Yeah, our server has always been survivor mode. My salvager is new, and takes into account the changes. My astro technician ships - all very small vessels that were stored in larger ships until repairs were needed, now need to double in size and can no longer fit the space provided - meaning a rebuild of both the smaller ship and the larger one. As you can imagine, many of the larger ships will not easily fit the larger size without ruining their appearance. Then there are my ships that use docked power supply beams. They have been rendered completely obsolete, and one of them is, not only titan-sized, but built completely around the concept. I finally had a ship that had functional power cores in an engineering section. It was fabo.

All besides the point - I just want to understand why the decision was made, and so far I haven't heard anything that, to me, reasonably warrants the overhaul. Making them act like the other systems for continuity doesn't make much sense. Why would all systems need to act the same as weapons?

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ew. Just, ew. I hated the lack of weaponry we had, and no matter how large your turret, they always fired little pew pew pellets. It was just silly.

Yeah, our server has always been survivor mode. My salvager is new, and takes into account the changes. My astro technician ships - all very small vessels that were stored in larger ships until repairs were needed, now need to double in size and can no longer fit the space provided - meaning a rebuild of both the smaller ship and the larger one. As you can imagine, many of the larger ships will not easily fit the larger size without ruining their appearance. Then there are my ships that use docked power supply beams. They have been rendered completely obsolete, and one of them is, not only titan-sized, but built completely around the concept. I finally had a ship that had functional power cores in an engineering section. It was fabo.

All besides the point - I just want to understand why the decision was made, and so far I haven't heard anything that, to me, reasonably warrants the overhaul. Making them act like the other systems for continuity doesn't make much sense. Why would all systems need to act the same as weapons?
    For consistency. New players would be confused by two conflicting systems.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    For consistency. New players would be confused by two conflicting systems.
    I still struggle with that notion. The previous system had no confusion at all. It was one computer block and the modules attached to it. In fact, given that most players are going to start out by using a salvage beam, it was probably an easier introduction than the weapon system.

Reaction score
    Makes perfect sense to me, to use the same system for both.
    More variety that way.

Now if only the weapons and support systems were compatible both ways.
    I'd love to make me some repairtorpedos with punchthrough xD

Reactions: Top 4ce and Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The old weapons wasn't balanced. The new weapon system is a lot better then the old weapon system.

Reactions: Mariux