Whole Starsystem movement via the map.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As a server admin i would like to have the ability to move whole starsystems by grabbing and moving them via the map.

You would grab a box "starsystem" then move it to another and the two would swap place. Much like a Rubik's Cube. It would be ultimate server maintaining tool and very very user friendly.

Someone claims a system and your not happy with the location? Just move it!
    Found a friend and want to be neighbours? Just grab and move!
    Enemies that just can't stand each other? Just grab both and put them at opposite sides of the galaxy!
    Spawn isn't in the right place any more? Just pick it up and find a better spot!

Moved systems would retain all including the faction claim.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Several problems:
    What if 2 admins move the same system at the same time to different locations?
    What about members of the moved faction outside of that system?
    How much data do you want to update/overwrite each move?
    What about starless systems(as they can't be selected with the mouse)?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What if 2 admins move the same system at the same time to different locations?
    What about members of the moved faction outside of that system?
    How much data do you want to update/overwrite each move?
    What about starless systems(as they can't be selected with the mouse)?
    The server could be put under master control ignoring all other commands and entering a frozen state. Server would then only except commands from the admin who asked for master control. The whole server would get a message telling them it's on hold because of an admin system move. All user input will be ignored in effect server is paused. After the move the admin releases master control and the server will resume. It may reload all systems with users in them to maintain integraty.

Systems without stars must get a central placeholder in the map.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    why not a /import or export for systems? Would be a tad easier to wield methinks, and less likely to be abused by dickish admins.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    why not a /import or export for systems? Would be a tad easier to wield methinks, and less likely to be abused by dickish admins.
    What's easier then a graphic interface that's even allready there? "the map"

You get a visual que on what goes on. And you would have to click an ok box telling you: Is this what you want?

As for dickish admins /import and /export can do the same thing. Moving can be restricted to selected admins.

The server could even disconnect all users on a move. Giving everyone that's relogs to fast the message: Move in progress.

This could make moves a piece of cake. Each starsystem would get an id tag and 4 coordinates x, y, z and galaxy. Moves would be logged so a reroll to the Original state is very simple.

As for amount of data. Nothing inside each starsystem changes. It never moves only the coordinates change. So as you cross a system boundry you in effect might be warping a hunderd systems but you as a user don't see that. The map won't show that. Only the server knows witch box connects to one another. The server knows the solution to the Rubik's Cube. A few bits of data at the most.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    as much as YOU think it mite be EPIC AMAZING to do all that you have been shot down twice, and now a third time by the games maker himself.

the ability to export and import systems was already confirmed when he posted the original universe changes. it just required some fixes to the game UI first and as that is exactly what just happened its likely hes working on that now.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    coordinates x, y, z
    Systems already have those, they used to be displayed at the top next to the sector. Something about dragging a system through a 3D space seems awkward. Moreover, I don't believe admins (use of powers) should have really real involvement in faction affairs unless it conflicts with the rules of a server. 2 factions at war? Let them fight or you're pissing off someone, if not everyone. Got a friend and want a fast way to travel? We got warp gates. Don't like someone claiming a system? Kinda childish but I'm pretty sure there is a command to reset system ownership.

It just seems abuse-able. Importing and Exporting requires the system to be unloaded, most likely meaning the server would have to be shut down and locked to keep them unloaded, creating a pretty clear log and history stating what happened.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I don't believe admins (use of powers) should have really real involvement in faction affairs unless it conflicts with the rules of a server. 2 factions at war? Let them fight or you're pissing off someone, if not everyone. Got a friend and want a fast way to travel? We got warp gates. Don't like someone claiming a system? Kinda childish but I'm pretty sure there is a command to reset system ownership.
    I provided some examples. You can use it any way you like. Choosing not to use it is fair choice to. It's just a tool.

Let me explain my situation. The server has just the basics with people claiming the spawn and the starsystems direct next to it. We would like to add a custom spawn and a save zone a box 3 by 3 by 3 around it. This tool would make doing that just seconds work.

Something about dragging a system through a 3D space seems awkward.
    Yes your right. But clicking and highlighting one and then the other is not. Hit the swap button and click ok.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Let me explain my situation. The server has just the basics with people claiming the spawn and the starsystems direct next to it. We would like to add a custom spawn and a save zone a box 3 by 3 by 3 around it. This tool would make doing that just seconds work..
    Would it not be easier to just use the admin commands /territory_make_unclaimable x y z on your 3 x 3 x 3 area and /set_global_spawn in the one you want your protected spawn,

Swapping things around would not protect your custom spawn, you would need to keep swapping every time someone claimed the spawn

Edit: if you meant whole starsystems a better suggestion to achive your requirements would be an expansion on the admin command to set claimability of complete systems in one

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    The map exists but to drag something around it would have to be re-programmed to push aside other things to make room for a system you're dragging around. Sounds like a whole lot of work so that non-objective admins can meddle in politics. Although import/export seems easier to implement and would allow replacement of stripped out systems that no one is using.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Edit: if you meant whole starsystems a better suggestion to achive your requirements would be an expansion on the admin command to set claimability of complete systems in one
    The title to the thread says Starsystems that's what's meant. There would off course be a console command using the map would be the graphical way of issuing it. The console command line another. Use what ever you prefer. But choosing to use the map seems more user friendly to me.

I... I just don't see the value in that function. Like, at all.
    Then it's not for you. But maybe others will find it convenient. Again it's a free world play as you like.

The map exists but to drag something around it would have to be re-programmed to push aside other things to make room for a system you're dragging around.
    Nothing is moved. Your only saying to the server this box now connects to this box. It al comes down to how the map exists in Starmade. Is it a rock or a pile of sand. The Minecraft map is a pile of sand. Each chunk a separate file you only need to change the coordinates. Saying it was there now it's here.

Sounds like a whole lot of work so that non-objective admins can meddle in politics.
    Several people brought this up but it has nothing to do with a suggestion for a map maintain tool. If you have admins abusing this then you have a problem with your admins and nothing else. Time to recruit other admins.