Which is easier (on the game engine)?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So long story short, I need a timer for about 25 seconds.

My two options are 50 delay blocks in a daisy chain, or I can use flip flops and a clock pulse to create a 5 bit register and the logic to read the register for a state of 11001 (25 in binary). Or I could just increase the delay length to 31 seconds in order to have simpler logic looking for 11111.

In the long run, which answer is easier on the game/server? Keeping track of 50 blocks in a logic daisy chain, or about 10 blocks of more advanced logic?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Use a rail timer and set the speed to make it 25 seconds.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Use a rail timer and set the speed to make it 25 seconds.
    Yeah, this is on a carrier with at least two dozen drones and almost as many again turrets. I think I need to stay away from any more docked entities if I can help it.

Reaction score
    So long story short, I need a timer for about 25 seconds.

My two options are 50 delay blocks in a daisy chain, or I can use flip flops and a clock pulse to create a 5 bit register and the logic to read the register for a state of 11001 (25 in binary). Or I could just increase the delay length to 31 seconds in order to have simpler logic looking for 11111.

In the long run, which answer is easier on the game/server? Keeping track of 50 blocks in a logic daisy chain, or about 10 blocks of more advanced logic?
    Try this :

Clock (standard), left to right: 1st DELAY into 2nd DELAY. 2nd DELAY into 3rd DELAY. 3rd DELAY into NOT. NOT into AND. Activate first DELAY, wait until all DELAYs are hot, deactivate 1st DELAY. ACTIVATOR into AND (the ACTIVATOR then starts/stops the whole circuit).

Timer, left to right: 1st FLIP into 2nd and 3rd FLIPS. 2nd FLIP into 3rd FLIP. All three FLIPs into the AND above them (this AND then becomes your output). The AND from the clock into the 1st FLIP.

That should get you into the ballpark (I threw it together rather quickly so not too exact)

Attachments