what's the difference between the downloaded version from wsite and the bought version from steam?

Reaction score
    hi, I'm a new player and I would like to know what's the difference between the downloaded version from wsite and the bought version from steam?

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    None as far as I know. The demo is the same as the purchased game.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    The only difference is weather steam gets money from you. Either way, it's the same starmade.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Try out the full game for free in alpha!

We are currently offering the full version of the game for free on our demo. This will be throughout Alpha as we believe a user wanting to purchase an open alpha game, should get to try out and test the current full state of the game first. We also need as many testers as possible, your reports, feedback and input is invaluable!

So... why should you purchase the game if it's currently free?

• Support the developers!
    • Purchased users will still have access to the latest updates when the demo stops being supported/updated in beta.
    • Get it cheaper! As more features are added, the price will progressively increase. This will benefit those who supported the game earlier.
    • We're adding upgraded only features to our Registry system, this will not directly affect any game features, however, it will give more access online. For example, blueprint hosting and multiple skin uploads for selection.

What are you waiting for? Click that demo button, and try out the full game for free!

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    One difference. Steam will auto update the game without the possibility to create backups when downloading updates. So if an update corrupt your ship or world files you'll have no backups.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    One difference. Steam will auto update the game without the possibility to create backups when downloading updates. So if an update corrupt your ship or world files you'll have no backups.
    There is a solution to that: copy the Starmade folder from WhereYouInstalledSteam/Steam/steamapps/common/ to somewhere else on the computer, and make a shortcut to the copy folder's starmade-launcher.exe on your desktop so you can play without Steam, or simply have it as a backup in case of broken update.

Another method would be to right click StarMade in Steam library, select properties, go to Updates tab, change Automatic Updates to only do so when launched, and then navigate to the StarMade folder and make a desktop shortcut to starmade-launcher.exe to play directly. Steam would then only update the game when you launch it via Steam; StarMade itself doesn't use the Steam DRM, so directly launching just means you lose the ability to Shift-Tab while in-game to access Steam features, and Steam can't track time played from a direct launch.

Alternatively, you can use the game's launcher to set up another install of the game called StarMadeOld or something, and manually update that to the latest stable update before copying world and ship files from your main install to the Old one prior to running the main installation with any new update.

hi, I'm a new player and I would like to know what's the difference between the downloaded version from wsite and the bought version from steam?
    If you play the free downloaded version (either from this site or the "Demo" on Steam), it will eventually stop getting updated. The bought version, from Steam or direct from StarMade site, will continue to receive improvements.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    My basic understanding is that the one from this site is DRM free effectively. At least for now. Which is a bonus to me, as it means that if steam ever goes out of fashion, as long as I don't lose the files, I can still play.

It may be possible to pull the files out of steam (I don't know if it protects it), and get the same thing though.

Though I am curious to know, if the final release from this site will be DRM free.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    Why is this in community servers?