What New Ship Systems Would be Useful?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I was thinking it would be nice to have some more ship systems and components.

One thing that would be nice would be a flair launcher for fighters and bombers.

A module that would worn you when some one had missile lock.

A sensor computer and modules that would enhance your sensor range.

A targeting computer that would help you lead targets.

And of course a block that allows you to zoom in. So we can have real sniper ships.

Those are just some of my ideas.

Reactions: TNA and Dragon2000

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It'll be impossible not to mention systems that haven't already been mentioned before, so here's more familiar systems:
    1. physical motion blocks (motors, pistons, etc.) (in development?)
    2. gravity-hover blocks
    3. impact-reduction/relative-motion-reduction blocks
    4. teleport/personal-warp blocks
    5. more logic and data storage blocks (I was looking at the various crystal-based decoration blocks last night - they could and should be used for new logic blocks. Active processors for bit-flipping maybe, storage nodes for RAM)
    6. solar energy blocks
    7. more effects (we have a lot already!) and maybe effect modifiers
    8. block recycling blocks (need more mesh from recycled grey hull! always more mesh!)
    9. lockable doors and doors that can only opened with logic.
    10. Here's where it gets weird: in-game build-mode helper blocks. These would be blocks that are in-game calculators that tell you how many weapon blocks you need to reach X amount of damage. How many thruster blocks you need in a X mass ship to get Y thrust and/or Z mass/thrust ratio. And other block calculators.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    5. more logic and data storage blocks (I was looking at the various crystal-based decoration blocks last night - they could and should be used for new logic blocks. Active processors for bit-flipping maybe, storage nodes for RAM)
    Agree

WIP : I will try to build a HD logic with 2 logic blocks per bit and a ram with 5 instead of 8.
    WIP : Currently I think 2.2 or 2.3 blocks per bit are possible in 1.5 seconds, but that requires 2 seconds for a read and 1.5 second for a write.

We can build ping pong, but the computer required for it would be as big as a mess hall - that is larger and slower than computers from 1990 ...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Cargo scanner that displays a random plex storage inventory on screen, for pirates. Either it can work all the time or it is inhibited by another module.

Module that cloaks a number of ships in a radius. This would be a station module, as having a radar jammer on your ship that could cloak others is a bit OP.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think they should replace current docking blocks with a simple connector block. If you can get the 2 blocks close enough together, possibly touching, they would automatically attach to each other. The strength of the connection could be determined by the number of connected blocks and the size of the objects connected (smaller ships and more blocks being more secure than larger ships and fewer blocks). This will enable things like modular weaponry, engines, power cores, etc as well as docks that connect at an entry point (like when you board a plane). Clicking the block with the core could attempt to slowly maneuver the ship into place, but will stop if there is a collision. Docking cameras could be installed for easier docking.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I think they should replace current docking blocks with a simple connector block. If you can get the 2 blocks close enough together, possibly touching, they would automatically attach to each other. The strength of the connection could be determined by the number of connected blocks and the size of the objects connected (smaller ships and more blocks being more secure than larger ships and fewer blocks). This will enable things like modular weaponry, engines, power cores, etc as well as docks that connect at an entry point (like when you board a plane). Clicking the block with the core could attempt to slowly maneuver the ship into place, but will stop if there is a collision. Docking cameras could be installed for easier docking.
    I would not say they should replace it but I agree with the whole idea of adding this new block. Personally though if the ONLY way to dock ships was to line it up, even moderate sized ships would be a pain to line up sometimes. I like the current system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The system would attempt the move you into position in larger ships. It wouldn't be a magic teleport beam.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I imagine somebody transporting an NPC instead of the captain(you).

Probably that could give you some protection (target scanner strength needs to penetrate ship shields or it will lock on NPCs :))

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I imagine somebody transporting an NPC instead of the captain(you).

Probably that could give you some protection (target scanner strength needs to penetrate ship shields or it will lock on NPCs :))
    The shields thing, thats what I was thinking.