what hardware detemines how much you can copy and paste

Reaction score
    So basically I before used an amd fx 4100 + hd 7950 and 8 gig ram. Now I use i7 6700k with the intel hd 530 and 16 gig ram. After upgrading I was able to copy paste sooo much more without crashing. So it can't be graphics card. Either ram or the cpu. Does anyone know? cause if its ram.... hoh boy, I'm gonna get 64gig kit when the cash comes in.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Either ram or the cpu.
    CPU

StarMade is all CPU. It does not need lots of RAM. For big copies extra RAM can help but the CPU has to calculate it to. Once you hit copy on a big copy and your screen freezes then do not alt tab out. Just be patient it might still do the copy after a while.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Its's RAM in my experience, and particularly the amount of undo history you have. That's a huge RAM-creep with large pastes. Sometimes it can be HDD read/write, but I don't think that's the usage case you're talking about.

Reaction score
    Yeah, that's a heck of an upgrade you got, and the CPU is the biggest part of it. (preventing the game from thinking itself to death)
    The doubled RAM is helping too, but mostly in lesser ways. (more crap on-screen at a time, bigger chunks of copy/paste before hitting a "stop & think")

Heck, I'll bet you can get to a planet now.