What do you think about the new shield system?

So what do you think?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    One of the things about the new shield system that any admin should do is put the <ShieldRechargeCycleTime> down from 1 to .1 or .03, which means that your ship won't loose all power when it's shields try to regen. I'm really not sure why it was put up so high.

Reaction score
    I liked the old way (as in .14 way) where the first two shield blocks add something like 545 shield, the second one 250, then after that each one is 1 shield. That way fighters could still hold up to giant ship's fire for a bit.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of having recharge and capacity split between two blocks as it allows the builder to tune the shields to fit the ship. What I do not like is how weak the shields and the recharge is after the two have been split.
    In a 1:1 recharge:Capacity you get a 1% per second recharge. That may sound acceptable but for fighters who's shields have to recharge fast that is a bad outcome. This result also makes 'capital' ships with large shield banks more viable over fighters. This also reduces the capabilities of carrier ships.
    Fighters are small maneuverable ships but unfortunately with these shields they are cannon fodder.

Reaction score
    One of the problems is that the shields are still very weak for fighters. And that there is still at least a 6% regen for ships. I think it should be like Halo where actually being under fire means you should not be able to regen your shields at all, but the time before regen should be much lower. Regen would be more valuable for agile fighters because when it is time to regen, it will be more rewarding. Bigger ships and bombers would lean towards capacity because they would constantly be under fire, unable to dodge. What should the value be when it is time to regen? Maybe 25% or 50%? Something doesn't seem right about ships that are able to regen while still under fire, because then it is a matter of pure firepower and not skill, tactics, or teamwork. Shorter time to a much higher regen would force pilots to keep the pressure on an enemy to prevent regen, much like a real fight (kick him while he's down!). Large charge time weapons would still have a place, because they would be fully charged before the fight. Obviously, in a fight you don't leave yourself without defense in the meanwhile.

So what do I vote? Something not in the poll: I like it, but it needs more put into it.

Reactions: Ithirahad